• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to me boat, having issues.. please help!

Zschaeff9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we purchased a 2007 AR210. First time out we blew a clean out plug on the left side. Talked to the dealer and got new plugs ordered and installed on both sides. Since then the right engine has been acting weird. It’s RPMs are inconsistent, fluctuating about 500 up and down compared to the left side (which has been running great), it’s kind of noticeable as well in the feel of the boat. What is this? Is the new plug not sealing 100 percent letting water through? I’ve swapped the plugs on different sides but that didn’t help. Location is central ohio.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My guess is that engine needs new spark plugs. If the clean out plug was letting air by, you'd hear the motor rev up higher like it was slipping in the water.

Seating the clean out plugs is a tricky business. In the image below you will see the yellow line. That line needs to be pointing towards the bow, and needs to be seated level with the ring in the clean out tube. Once you have it down there, you can then lock it. At that point you want to pull on the plug with all your strength.....it shouldn't budge at all! I do this 2-3 times....

(hope you didn't pay the dealer too much for those plugs! The rebuild kit is now on amazon for $45 per plug I think....and it takes ~8 screws.

yamaha plug.jpg

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bronze_10 does this sound like the issue that you had ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we purchased a 2007 AR210. First time out we blew a clean out plug on the left side. Talked to the dealer and got new plugs ordered and installed on both sides. Since then the right engine has been acting weird. It’s RPMs are inconsistent, fluctuating about 500 up and down compared to the left side (which has been running great), it’s kind of noticeable as well in the feel of the boat. What is this? Is the new plug not sealing 100 percent letting water through? I’ve swapped the plugs on different sides but that didn’t help.
This does not sound like a clean out plug issue. But it could be the safety switch in the clean out hatch.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s the way to go, then add EZ locks!
Here is the EZ locks refresher.

One more thing about EZ locks. Those really ARE easy, and I'm pretty sure I am the first person on the planet who managed to goof up with the install... :oops: But just for the record -- here is what I've learned.

1. Watch the @Cobra Jet Steering LLC video clip

2. Drill close to the top -- see the pictures below -- I goofed up on the right, the left is the correct location of the hole.

When installed in the correct location (left in the pic), the locks do not "lock" when the plug is "open".
I know... it is obvious. But I still managed to drill the first hole too low... Before I realized my mistake.

This is what you want to see when the plug is open:

View attachment 47399

And closed:
View attachment 47400

View from top (open/closed):

--

Zschaeff9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealer paid for the new plugs since it was the first time out. I assumed it was an issue with the new clean out plugs since it started the time after that incident, i didnt think about it being spark plugs since it was just inspected and what not by the dealer.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sounds similar but not identical... do you smell gas? Is there gas in the water when at idle?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still think this could be an issue with the clean out hatch switch actuator for the starboard engine acting erratically at speed. Especially after a plug blowout. No?

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure who your dealer was, but sizzle marine delivered to me a brand new boat with a loose spark plug coil. Produced intermittent rough running engine. I wasn't impressed with their QC

Zschaeff9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure who your dealer was, but sizzle marine delivered to me a brand new boat with a loose spark plug coil. Produced intermittent rough running engine. I wasn't impressed with their QC
it was boatmasters up in akron area. They arent a yamaha dealer, it was a used boat so I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m in Columbus, happy to help out with pulling the info with YDS for your boat. You on alum creek?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
it was boatmasters up in akron area. They arent a yamaha dealer, it was a used boat so I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.
@Zschaeff9 Don't give any dealer the benefit of the doubt. Especially if they are not a Yamaha dealer. There have been more dealer reported complaints on this board than there should be.

Quite often when a plug blows out a lot of water is pumped into the engine compartment. At its worst it could put your boat in jeopardy but generally it pumps a scary amount of water into your engine compartment in a very short time. I would check the engine oil for signs of water. If it has a milky appearance after a short warm up you have water. Also note the oil level on both dipsticks. If no water in your oil and the boat is sitting fairly level a cold engine should show Low or a little below low on each dipstick. If it shows much above that, especially if it shows Full you will want to check your air filters as they may be coated with oil. That would be a good reason for your RPMs fluctuating. Also check your spark plugs as mentioned. These engines have the goldilocks syndrome over their spark plugs.

Zschaeff9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in Columbus, happy to help out with pulling the info with YDS for your boat. You on alum creek?
yes that is where I boat! I am going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow and give it a test run Saturday. If that doesn't fix it we could meet up? I will also make sure the oil level looks good and the filter is clean. It is parked on my driveway at an incline, is checking the oil like that worthless?

Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yes that is where I boat! I am going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow and give it a test run Saturday. If that doesn't fix it we could meet up? I will also make sure the oil level looks good and the filter is clean. It is parked on my driveway at an incline, is checking the oil like that worthless?
Absolutely!

I change the oil and the plugs each year and it keeps my 07 SX230 running fine.

For checking the oil, I suggest you launch the boat and run her in no wake speed in the no wake area for say 5 mins to warm up the oil, then kill the engines and check the oil that way.

I don’t seem to get great oil level readings in the street or in the driveway.

Be careful/ gentle removing the plugs. I don’t use any anti seize on the plugs but don’t crank them down maybe 1/8 turn at most past hand tight.

-Mark

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like spark plugs to me. I am one who does use a SMALL amount of anti seize on the threads. Like what others have said, be careful removing and installing the plugs.