• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I pull out my jet pump and check for damage?

Peter Alonso

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So this weekend I experienced a plethora of sucked up debris! Ranging from Garbage bags, leaves, bottle caps, nylon rope, sea grapes.

After Multiple trips to the clean out ports, I continued to experience major cavitation and vibration ranging from 4500rpm to 7000rpm.

All procedures we followed to attempt to clear any misc debris but no success, UNTIL i decided to do it my way..... i decided run boat at 6500-7500 rpm until it cleared, boat ran for about 300yds and suddenly the debris cleared and the boat ran like champ!!!!

MY QUESTION IS....
AFTER THE WEEKEND I EXPERIENCED, SHOULD I PULL THE JETPUMP TO CHECK FOR DAMAGE TO THE IMPELLER BLADES AND OR THE PLASTIC SLEEVE WITHIN THE HOUSING???

AND WILL I HAVE TO PULL THE JETPUMP OUT EVERYTIME I HAVE A BAD WEEKEND OF SUCKING UP DEBRIS?

This is the video describing by what i mean by pulling out the jetpump

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The pumps are easy to pull so no harm in checking.

As a first step you can stick your cell phone in the intake grate to take pictures of the impeller.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For my money, I would not. As @Bruce said, you can take a photo to see. But more basically, if they are not causing vibrations any more, why mess with it? Even assuming that there is a little nick there or something, would you replace the impeller if it were asymptomatic? I wouldn't. Just go run the boat and enjoy.

However, if you tried to clear the debris, finally did, but there was still a vibration, then I would be looking to inspect, because then you might need to replace them. That said, I have sucked up lots o crap and haven't replaced an impeller yet.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I doubt you have a problem but just do what @Bruce recommended. I have sucked up everything you have mentioned except "sea grapes". Kinda afraid to ask what those are.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You said it is running good so leave it alone, if it were damaged even a little it would not clear itself and run good it would continue to have an issue. Most often something gets stuck inside the impellor blades where you can not see it or feel it, when it clears the pump works fine.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Years ago I had a small chunk of wood get stuck in my jet. I had to pull the boat out, pull the jet and retrieve the small twig. If I had the balls to run it hard and that damn thing came out I wouldn't have pulled the pump... just sayin

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I pull my pumps every spring. Checking them over well and changing the oil in the cone (I switched to an oil bath) takes less than an hour.

Peter Alonso

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Years ago I had a small chunk of wood get stuck in my jet. I had to pull the boat out, pull the jet and retrieve the small twig. If I had the balls to run it hard and that damn thing came out I wouldn't have pulled the pump... just sayin
i wouldnt call it ballsy maybe a bit ignorant but hey it worked ! i may pull the pumps at the end of the summer... i do need to looking the greasing or oiling of the cone. how is that done btw? any vids?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
i wouldnt call it ballsy maybe a bit ignorant but hey it worked ! i may pull the pumps at the end of the summer... i do need to looking the greasing or oiling of the cone. how is that done btw? any vids?
This FAQ should give you all the info you need on drive train lubrication. If you have further questions related to any of the topics within...ask them in the particular thread in question.