• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SI transducer mount on 2018 Yamaha 242X

Chuckz21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
so about your transom lights... how long have they been on? any issues? happy with them? color? how much light do you get at the boat corners? do you have any pics of them on/in water?
I've had them for a year on there. Very happy with them no issues what so ever. They are rgb full color spectrum. I believe they are 800 lumens each. I do alot of night fishing so I put them as low as possible but get good coverage. Plus it keeps them in the water while running so they don't over heat. I have pics of all the colors just not on my phone I'll try to find them and send them.

Attachments

Chuckz21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
so about your transom lights... how long have they been on? any issues? happy with them? color? how much light do you get at the boat corners? do you have any pics of them on/in water?
I actually did have a few pics

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You’ll lose virtually all of the SI on the keel side if you mount anywhere near that high.
OK...I'm back to your aluminum approach as I think the starboard will cause a lot of drag.

Can you confirm that you bought Rectangle Tube Aluminum and then cut off the bottom, or did they cut it off for you?

Unfortunately they don't have 1.5" wide x 4 in tall, all they have is 3" tall....so I'll have to go with that. Should be close to even with the bottom of the keel though I think.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK...I'm back to your aluminum approach as I think the starboard will cause a lot of drag.

Can you confirm that you bought Rectangle Tube Aluminum and then cut off the bottom, or did they cut it off for you?

Unfortunately they don't have 1.5" wide x 4 in tall, all they have is 3" tall....so I'll have to go with that. Should be close to even with the bottom of the keel though I think.
You could visit any metal yard or metal shop, even hardware stores will have square aluminum tube in various sizes, easy to cut too.

--

jpkl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I made my own modification for the transducer mounting location on the tubing. And your results may differ, but finding rectangle aluminum tubing in dimensions of bigger than 2x3" in my area was a no go.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I mounted my Garmin transducer off the ride plate (no issues at any speed), but I didn't have to worry about SI, just the downscan thing. Be aware that the hull side of the ride plate has makes it tricky to place your bolts due to the pattern used. I wish I had a pic, but you'll see as soon as you take it off.

So looking at what you guys did, what I have available, and the shape/size of my transducer, I may do something similar, but perhaps without the aluminum.

Looking at the spot I have (will actually be the other side, but easier to photograph this side right now), I will likely go in a similar spot as you guys, but think I will move it forward to the front of the ride plate.

View attachment 96524

As you can see from this image, it would be a little high still and the side view might be reduced some, so I was thinking I might add a starboard block (that I have laying around) to lower it some more).
View attachment 96525

I just cut a couple of slices and taped them together for eyeball purposes....this is what I was thinking.....(anyone know what kind of glue I can use to permanently join king starboard?)

The only thing I need to check on this is the rudder swing....I don't think it goes far enough to hit the transducer...but I will have to check on that. Also, I'd round off that leading edge so water flows over it more smoothly.

Thoughts/opinions?
View attachment 96526

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Be aware that the hull side of the ride plate has makes it tricky to place your bolts due to the pattern used. I wish I had a pic, but you'll see as soon as you take it off.
I assume you meant to say something like "has a grid pattern that makes it tricky to place bolts?". Good to know.

Talked to Garmin, and their primary concern with lowering the transducer below the bottom of the boat is the risk it adds of striking something and ripping it off. I guess since it is attached to the ride plate that is slightly less of concern, but I think I may heed their advice and keep it lower profile.....

My problem...I only have 3 days in which to make this happen due to all my travel!!! And those are the same 3 days of prep I have left before I start the southward trek! AHHH First world problems!

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ha, I was writing that at work and one of my guys came in to ask a question while I was mid-sentence.

I assume you meant to say something like "has a grid pattern that makes it tricky to place bolts?". Good to know.

Talked to Garmin, and their primary concern with lowering the transducer below the bottom of the boat is the risk it adds of striking something and ripping it off. I guess since it is attached to the ride plate that is slightly less of concern, but I think I may heed their advice and keep it lower profile.....

My problem...I only have 3 days in which to make this happen due to all my travel!!! And those are the same 3 days of prep I have left before I start the southward trek! AHHH First world problems!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, trip to home depot and some cutting and grinding and this is what I have shaped up thus far:

20190613_223322.jpg

Couldn't find any 1.5 inch wide channel, but they did have 1.5 inch angle aluminium and some flat aluminum. So I cut angled leading edges, rounded of the back, and think this should work well to mount the transducer to. Now I just need to remove the ride plate and drill holes to attach this, then drill the side holes and transducer mount holes and route the cable.....and done! :winkingthumbsup"

Any thoughts? I think this will avoid weeds getting caught, and more importantly deflect stuff, and will get me low enough from the keel to allow both side scanning.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, trip to home depot and some cutting and grinding and this is what I have shaped up thus far:

View attachment 96863

Couldn't find any 1.5 inch wide channel, but they did have 1.5 inch angle aluminium and some flat aluminum. So I cut angled leading edges, rounded of the back, and think this should work well to mount the transducer to. Now I just need to remove the ride plate and drill holes to attach this, then drill the side holes and transducer mount holes and route the cable.....and done! :winkingthumbsup"

Any thoughts? I think this will avoid weeds getting caught, and more importantly deflect stuff, and will get me low enough from the keel to allow both side scanning.
Looks good. If you can find a welder shop, they can probably weld it together for you for like $10 and with some filing it would look factory!

--

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious how this has all worked out for you guys mounting them so low? I did that on previous boats and lost many a transducer that way. On my current AR i have it mounted off to the side on the first step in the hull. Basically on plane the lower surface of the transducer just barely skims the water and its been good there and I even get sidescan to both side. Wondering as I may need to move it as I'm adding trim tabs this year.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian