• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sleep Apnea anyone? CPAP?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
She is 55 and rips me apart. What happens to them at this age? Why were they not like this at 20?

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
The only input I have is that my ex-girlfriend used one. She had for years been on high blood pressure medication even at a young age (hereditary I think). Went in for a study and they gave her one with nose pillows. After about 2-3 weeks of usage, she went off medication and had normal blood pressure. She swore by the CPAP... she could've been a national spokesperson for CPAP machines. LOL. Our relationship didn't work out for other reasons, but her using the machine never bothered me for what it's worth. Good luck Julian!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not my thread but thought I’d update my related situation. I’ve been trying to use the cpap every night since last weekend. I only managed to keep it on all night last night, after I switched from the full face mask to the nasal mask, both pictured. Also pictured is my sleep report from last night, it’s a little misleading since I started using the cpap before I fell asleep (I surfed the web until I passed out, something I could not do with the full face mask) and I got up at least once to piss. . Do I feel any better? Not really but I’m a morning person anyway, I will think about this again a after work to see if I am more tired or energized than usual.

Attachments

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can get the sd card out of the machine and analyze your activity with SleepyHead software

It shows very detailed info.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Philips CPAP Lawsuit | Steinberg Law Firm P.C.
I Wanted to revisit this thread in order advise members of a recall associated health hazard certain units present. I do not have any of the above mentioned machines nor do I have a vested interest in any lawsuits. I would hope physicians or home care companies have already notified those affected.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well I got late to the party. It what folks said above is correct. Most insurances will cover the resmed. It’s kinda standard of care. Get the so clean device. It makes cleaning so much easier. Lack of cleaning can be dangerous! Stick with it. It will be worth it.
Lol. Glad I said this. Resmed is good with so clean. The respironics that were recalled are in part because of use with so clean.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the Heads Up. Mine is a ResMed. Double checked it this morning after seeing this post. Great Device.

I started with full face mask, now I use the comfort one with the tube at the top of the head. Feel great in the morning once I was using it consistently.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The Phillips recall is shit. 💩

I got the DreamStation Go about a year before the June recall. I will say, that I really liked the machine - it was small, easy to travel with and my first auto cpap. Phillips recall strategy was basically stop using the machine and we will replace it in a year. WTF! If folks didn't need a cpap, we sure as hell wouldn't be using one! ;)

My sleep apnea is border-line, but using the cpap I don't snore (better for my wife) and I notice that I do sleep better

I stopped using my DreamStation, and broke out my old ResMed 9. After the first night of use it gave me a message. "Motor life exceeded, please contact service provide" Even with the message the machine still worked. I looked at the usage hours and it was 22,000 hours!

Right after the Phillips recall, I ordered a Z2 Auto by Breas. I gotta say that I really like this machine. Less money than the Phillips, just as small, and a breeze to program.

Personally opinion only, but at this point I don't trust Phillips and would never buy another machine from them. I find it too much of a coincidence that they recalled their machines AFTER they had redesigned the foam and put a new machine on the market. I plan on joining one of the class action lawsuits. I don't care if I only get a nickle back from a lawsuit, I would rather have that nickle than another Phillips machine.

Jim

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I had the recalled Dreamstation machine. I immediately stopped using it and called my Doc to get a Resmed Airsense 10 prescribed on August 3rd. Registered it with Philips on the website and was given no ETA on a replacement. My medical supplier told me that the Resmed machine wouldn't be available until mid October due to high demand! So I was stuck with a recalled machine and no quick replacement through insurance. I didn't want another Dreamstation and presumed that I would just return it when I got the new Resmed. Did a Google and found a refurb Airsense 10 for a few hundred bucks to tide me over until I got the NEW Resmed. I figured I would keep it as a backup and leave it at my lake house so I wouldn't need to pack it up and take it when I went there...win/win. I got the refurb Airsense 10 overnighted and immediately loved it.
Fast forward to two weeks ago...I get a call from the equipment supplier that the new Resmed will be available October 1st! They tell me that there's no need to return the replacement that I get from Philips for the Dreamstation...just keep it as a backup! That SAME DAY, I get a new Dreamstation "2" in the mail from Philips, with instructions on how to ship back the recalled unit! So now I have a brand new Dreamstation 2, a refurb Airsense 10, and will get another brand new Airsense 10 on Oct. 1st!! Now I have a backup to my backup! lol I was leery about another Philips machine too, but it is redesigned and I won't be using a SoClean with it (that I read attributed to the breakdown of the foam in there units...see below), so I would use it as my secondary machine.
My point is, I love the Airsense 10...much quieter than the Dreamstation and much nicer looking (like a clock radio.) I also love the Dreamsataion 2! Again, much quieter than the Dreamstation and nicer looking! And much much better than the outdated original Dreamstation. So the NEW Airsense is at home, the Dreamstation 2 is at the lakehouse, and the refurb will be boxed up as a backup.
Also, I ditched my SoClean! Did some research and found that it's not approved by anyone for use (eg. FDA), and voids the warranty on pretty much all the CPAP manufacturers machines! When I stopped using the SoClean, I noticed that I was getting a lot less headaches (that I was chalking up to allergies, etc.) Supposedly the Ozone that it produces is pretty bad for you and can give you headaches and sinus issues, so be careful with the SoClean for a few reasons. Resmed specifically states on their website that SoClean voids their warranty!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My understanding from what I have found on the internet is that SoClean may attribute to the breakdown of the foam in the Phillips machines. However, I have also read that the foam can break down in machines where SoClean was not used. I believe that All the Phillips machines were recalled due to potential foam breakdown whether or not SoClean was used. I have never used SoClean, but the recall includs my machine.

I am not one to believe in conspiracy theories, but I find it interesting that Phillips recalled their machines after a "new and approved" machine with a new foam was released.

Personally, my opinion is that the way Phillips handled the recall shows little regard to their customers. I also registered with them a couple of days after they announced the recall and have heard absolutely nothing back from them.

Jim

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also registered with them a couple of days after they announced the recall and have heard absolutely nothing back from them.

Jim
I agree! I actually found out about the recall through a friend who works at a medical supply company (not mine). When I contacted my medical supplier (they never reached out to me) they referred me directly to Philips and offered no help at all and claimed they had no replacement machines available.
Sad that neither Philips or my medical equipment supplier contacted me to advise me of the recall. Both (definitely my supplier) must have some record that I was using the recalled machine.

I didn't mean to imply that the SoClean was the cause for the "foam breakdown", but it's pretty clear that the manufacturers (and FDA) don't recommend any type of ozone cleaner.

Also, I never heard from Philips either (other than the confirmation email that I had registered for the recall)! The replacement machine just arrived unannounced!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree! I actually found out about the recall through a friend who works at a medical supply company (not mine). When I contacted my medical supplier (they never reached out to me) they referred me directly to Philips and offered no help at all and claimed they had no replacement machines available.
Sad that neither Philips or my medical equipment supplier contacted me to advise me of the recall. Both (definitely my supplier) must have some record that I was using the recalled machine.

I didn't mean to imply that the SoClean was the cause for the "foam breakdown", but it's pretty clear that the manufacturers (and FDA) don't recommend any type of ozone cleaner.

Also, I never heard from Philips either (other than the confirmation email that I had registered for the recall)! The replacement machine just arrived unannounced!
Resmed can be cleaned with ozone. Or so they say. No doubt also that ozone is causing breakdown of a foam filter in the respironics.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
didn't want another Dreamstation and presumed that I would just return it when I got the new Resmed. Did a Google and found a refurb Airsense 10 for a few hundred bucks to tide me over until I got the NEW Resmed. I figured I would keep it as a backup and leave it at my lake house so I wouldn't need to pack it up and take it when I went there...win/win. I got the refurb Airsense 10 overnighted and immediately loved it.
For the refurb Airsense 10 can you share the vendor? Also, did they need a script... I can't get into my sleep doc until November. I'd like to get my Dreamstation swapped out.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have seen on-line where they take both the new and old Phillips machines apart, and the air passes through the filter before it enters the cpap hose. I'm not quite sure the purpose of the foam in the machines. It may be to quiet the machine and/or modulate the airflow into the tube? From these video, it appears that Phillips has changed from a black foam to a white foam. Is the white foam safer? I don't know, the black foam was suppose to be safe. I need to take another look on-line (as I haven't since I bought my new replacement machine) but I am curious if the other machines also use foam in this same manner.

From what I have read on-line, it seems that the foam in the recalled machine can break down over time, hence the recall of all of the Dreamstation machines. It may also be possible that ozone does cause a faster breakdown of the foam. If the foam does break down, the small particles can then travel to the lungs.

Jim

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It is true that the recall has been a disaster. Sadly most patients end up purchasing a resmed out of pocket. The temporary solution we have found for those who can't is to put an inline filter on the bipap circuit so that the damaged foam does not reach the patient. Your DME company should be able to hook you up with one of those filtersr.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For the refurb Airsense 10 can you share the vendor? Also, did they need a script... I can't get into my sleep doc until November. I'd like to get my Dreamstation swapped out.
You don't necessary need a script from a sleep doc, just a script. I haven't seen a sleep doc, since I had my sleep study done 12 years ago. The only reason I see to go back would be to get new machine setting levels and I have switched to an auto machine anyway as this gives me a better night sleep. I asked my family doc to write my new script so that I could order my new machine. He/she will need to put a pressure range on the script so that the supplier can adjust the machine prior to shipping. If you need to, its easy to find a video of youtube to adjust the settings.

Jim

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting that this topic surfaced again....I was thinking earlier this week "I wonder how long this CPAP machine lasts?" I have an airsense 10. Been working fine, but I was thinking....8 hours a day every day.....anyone have one that stopped working? After how long?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is true that the recall has been a disaster. Sadly most patients end up purchasing a resmed out of pocket. The temporary solution we have found for those who can't is to put an inline filter on the bipap circuit so that the damaged foam does not reach the patient. Your DME company should be able to hook you up with one of those filtersr.
My understanding is that the filters need to be replaced weekly. Perhaps more often if humidity is used?

I have also read on line that adding the filter adds resistence (makes sense) and some patients have had to increase the pressure of their machines to compensate.

Jim