• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Small Children/Sound concerns while boating

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So did a quick search, but really didn't find anything. My son was born last September, so this will be our first summer learning to boat with small children. I know our jetboats are "louder". Anyone ever consider putting hearing protection on small children due to the noise? Son is roughly 9 months old.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They aren't that loud....

Try an airboat and get back to me.

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I find the wind noise to be louder/more annoying than the engine(s)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So did a quick search, but really didn't find anything. My son was born last September, so this will be our first summer learning to boat with small children. I know our jetboats are "louder". Anyone ever consider putting hearing protection on small children due to the noise? Son is roughly 9 months old.
Total noise energy (sound pressure level) is nearly the same. Frequency is higher. As compared to regular I/O.

In general the wind noise, and stereo is as much of a concern as the engine noise. We had hearing protection while underway on our youngest until he was ~14mo and would physically fight it off of him. He was on the boat starting around 10wks or so.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If your concerned ear plugs are cheap and easy. Most of my friends are concerned about swearing around their kids, not hard to monitor with guests on the boat but impossible in crowd, on the beach or rafted up with strangers.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve seen young kids at the races and their parents have ear muffs on them.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They aren't that loud....

Try an airboat and get back to me.
Have been on an airboat, know those are loud. I personally don't cosider the boat loud, as others have mentioned, just a different frequency. I've boated my whole life, I/O, outboards and direct drive/v drive boats. Mainly, was just trying to figure out, if people have put hearing protection on small children for their jet boats, or haven't and noticed if it made a difference for the childs boating experience. I know personally, I'm pretty careless when it comes to hearing protection, but you know, parents try to do better for their kids lol.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My son is pretty sensitive to loud noise and he’s been on the boat since about 2 months old without problems.
We’re not ripping around at 50mph with him though. Just cruising.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve seen young kids at the races and their parents have ear muffs on them.
I saw a couple of infants at the drag races this spring which included nitro/top fuel cars.

That’s not great parenting.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have been on an airboat, know those are loud. I personally don't cosider the boat loud, as others have mentioned, just a different frequency. I've boated my whole life, I/O, outboards and direct drive/v drive boats. Mainly, was just trying to figure out, if people have put hearing protection on small children for their jet boats, or haven't and noticed if it made a difference for the childs boating experience. I know personally, I'm pretty careless when it comes to hearing protection, but you know, parents try to do better for their kids lol.
Same boat here......Just trying to do better than my parents did.

I haven't noticed any hearing issues from our little one. I mean, he's 5 now and hears what he wants, but that's more of a selective listening than a functional problem with his ears :D

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The most cost effective way to reduce the noise of the engines IMHO is to line the engine compartment opening with pipe insulation foam. It takes about 20 minutes and 20’ of pipe insulation which should cost around $20.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The most cost effective way to reduce the noise of the engines IMHO is to line the engine compartment opening with pipe insulation foam. It takes about 20 minutes and 20’ of pipe insulation which should cost around $20.
Appreciate the feed back. I don't want this to turn into a "my boat is too loud" thread. That's not why I started it. Personally, I crank the music, and just enjoy cruising in open water. Obviously not gonna crank the music with the little one on board. Was just trying to see what people have done with little kids. I'm the parent that is "well if he does it once and gets hurt, he's not gonna do it anymore". BUT......My wife is the complete opposite over protective mother bear. So as a man, I have come here to bring up the subject, where my wife will never see it lol