• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sound Mat Review

Tex72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some of you may have seen my post on another thread, about my install.

I recently replaced the perfectly good factory foam, in the engine bay, & installed some sound mat in it’s place.
(Note: the foam removal & mat install took approximately 4 hours, and it was a pain.)

I took the boat out yesterday, and the results were not good:

I would say it was not better than the factory foam, and maybe worse (@adrianp89 was correct in his take on this).

At higher RPM’s, the “Hornets Nest” sound does seem somewhat muffled, but the engine is at least as loud as before…and there are “new”/different engine noises, At idle & lower RPM, I would say it’s louder too. My wife & son felt like it was about the same (in general), but I felt like it was a little worse.

I plan to install some soundskins CCF over the sound mat, & I expect it to be better…will update after new install.

Overall, this install was not worth the time, effort, & money. Hopefully the sound mat & CCF combo will be better than the factory foam, but I’m not expecting miracles.

A538A90F-7D39-4E37-B9BC-97749B2B3CF2.jpegFBEDB016-FE68-4F14-BAA3-58C99B1B7106.png11DE1202-C27E-42E3-8B25-1F3E53B20751.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't speak to the effectiveness of the product you used but I would recommend replacing the foam on top. You need something to seal the gap between the hatch and engine compartment.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of the product you used but I would recommend replacing the foam on top. You need something to seal the gap between the hatch and engine compartment.
That’s the plan…I expect it’ll be (at the least) as good as it was before, but I actually think it’ll be better.
I’ve already ordered the CCF, and hope to install it next weekend.
If it works well, I’ll probably do the floor hatch later.96306199-F659-4F81-A281-C8CC55F577D8.png

Last edited:
The deadening mats definalty helps but you do need the foam to absorbe the sound reflections, you will be much happer once you get some foam in there too, although get foam 2" thick, I dont think you will be happy with a thinner foam.

I got the best benefit from cheap egg crate foam on the sides between the engine compartment and the aft storage compartments... I tried a similar deadening mat (but it was cheap and melted in the hot weather, falling all over my engines...), but the foam I noted more of a difference.

Some of you may have seen my post on another thread, about my install.

I recently replaced the perfectly good factory foam, in the engine bay, & installed some sound mat in it’s place.
(Note: the foam removal & mat install took approximately 4 hours, and it was a pain.)

I took the boat out yesterday, and the results were not good:

I would say it was not better than the factory foam, and maybe worse (@adrianp89 was correct in his take on this).

At higher RPM’s, the “Hornets Nest” sound does seem somewhat muffled, but the engine is at least as loud as before…and there are “new”/different engine noises, At idle & lower RPM, I would say it’s louder too. My wife & son felt like it was about the same (in general), but I felt like it was a little worse.

I plan to install some soundskins CCF over the sound mat, & I expect it to be better…will update after new install.

Overall, this install was not worth the time, effort, & money. Hopefully the sound mat & CCF combo will be better than the factory foam, but I’m not expecting miracles.

View attachment 196396View attachment 196397View attachment 196398
Sorry to hear that after you did such a nice job on it.

I Hate to see this after I just put the same stuff on my 210 fsh. I put the factory foam back on thou.

Last edited:
I Hate to see this after I just put the same stuff on my 210 fsh. I put the factory foam thou.
It’ll probably be better since you put the foam back on top of it. I didn’t.

I would also suggest putting the foam back on. Did you do the gas tank hatch? I ask because I did that same thing few years ago on my 195. The result are that at idle and no wake the boat is whisper quiet. At full throttle maybe just a tad quieter but not that much. Gas tank area is where much of the reverb is coming from, and insulating that helped.

I would also suggest putting the foam back on. Did you do the gas tank hatch? I ask because I did that same thing few years ago on my 195. The result are that at idle and no wake the boat is whisper quiet. At full throttle maybe just a tad quieter but not that much. Gas tank area is where much of the reverb is coming from, and insulating that helped.
Yes, I’m replacing the foam.
Will plan do the hatch at a later date…after I replace the foam in the engine bay.

Update:
I installed the SoundSkins CCF, Here is my take away on the product & install:

1. Although it’s thinner than the factory foam, it’s a much higher quality foam. It’s really dense, and the tacky backing adheres really well.
2 It’s very moldable and reasonably stretchy, which helps around the creases, humps, and nooks.
3. It overlaps well, and adheres to itself when overlapping.
4. One 32 SF roll covers the entire engine bay, w/ about 3 or 4 SF to spare.

Update on the Silles Sound Mat:

This product is not good for adhering to the fiberglass. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize this until after I installed the SoundSkin Foam on top of the hatch portion (over the sound mat)

After I finished the hatch, I started on the back of the engine bay, and noticed it (sound mat) was loose at the corner. I lightly pulled the entire shell off by hand…almost in one piece.I then sprayed 3M on the fiberglass and replaced the sound mat w/ the foam.

I hope the hatch will hold up for the season…either way, I’ll probably end up removing and installing the foam by itself.

Notes:
- If I were to do it again, I would use Goof Off spray to remove the factory foam & cover the engine…& obviously I would not use the Sellis Sound Mat.

- When applying the CCF, it’s much easier to cut it into manageable/smaller pieces, rather than trying to minimize seams with larger pieces. This product overlaps well, so you don’t have to be precise.

- It’s not necessary to pre-cut, measure, and plan the fit (CCF). You can apply and cut as you go, and use the waste for small gaps.

- Once I take the boat out on the lake, I’ll update with how the soundskins performed.

5F0CCDCF-0303-4689-A9C7-10A8B73F8FB3.jpeg
7D230715-BA5F-4148-A437-9B1ADA2A4E4B.png

Last edited:
I got the best benefit from cheap egg crate foam on the sides between the engine compartment and the aft storage compartments... I tried a similar deadening mat (but it was cheap and melted in the hot weather, falling all over my engines...), but the foam I noted more of a difference.
Wish I would have paid attention to your melting mat comment before I installed the foam on top of it LOL.

I've had no issues will my Kilmat coming off. After 2 hot Miami summers and still on securely

I've had no issues will my Kilmat coming off. After 2 hot Miami summers and still on securely
I installed the knock off version from Amazon, so I guess that’s why mine peeled off.

Last edited:
Any update on the Soundskins CCF?

I have a 2021 190SX that I just purchased and took out for the first time. Only complaint was really the engine noise. Really can't talk to a passenger or hear the factory sound system at all when driving at 20 mph or higher. I plan to attempt something with sound dampening. I would love to know what works and what is the best bang for the buck.

Back