• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Springfield Pedestal Adjustment

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Attempting to install my pediatal today. Bolts are being really stubborn. Sprayed with PB Blaster. How do you remove the seat from the post to allow for better access to the 6 bolts?
So it’s been over two years now since you asked the question on how to remove the seat from the post, lol. I imagine anyone that has successfully done a pedestal swap has figured it out. I am just starting out with research on changing pedestals myself and have not tried very hard yet to figure it out. I tried lifting up on seat a few times and it would not come off the post.
How does the seat come off the post?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking at this pretty hard the other day. Couldn't figure it out, wondering if there is a trick to it.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So it’s been over two years now since you asked the question on how to remove the seat from the post, lol. I imagine anyone that has successfully done a pedestal swap has figured it out. I am just starting out with research on changing pedestals myself and have not tried very hard yet to figure it out. I tried lifting up on seat a few times and it would not come off the post.
How does the seat come off the post?
Haha, unfortunately I don’t recall exactly the route I went. Seeing as your boat is rather new, I’m thinking you’ll have significantly less corrosion than I had. My boat was occasionally run in salt water, and it appears that water from the captain’s bathing suit dripped down the seat and the pedestal. This caused some corrosion on the bolts (pedestal to the seat, and pedestal to the deck).

I snagged a picture of a similar pedestal, and I believe there are 4 bolts that hold the pedestal to the seat, approximately marked in red. The biggest pain for me was removing the bolts from the deck. I had a few snap, causing the need to rotate the base some and drill and tap some new holes. I’m very glad I did this mod.

Let us know how it turns out!

B6FB080C-4C06-407E-AACA-EB897D6CF3DE.jpeg

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unbolt from the deck first, then flip it over and unbolt from the seat. At least that's what I did.
Still love my adjustable pedestal, despite the creaking it does.
I was all ready to just get the manual version like yours.... then you mentioned creaking.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was all ready to just get the manual version like yours.... then you mentioned creaking.
once I have it positioned just right, i usually leave it there. and i only notice it when docking because I have the music off. It's a trade off you have because in order to move it needs clearance so it'll creak in that tolerance. once moving, or if we are playing any music. I never notice. The seat is also way easier to rotate/slide than the stock one.

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I was looking at this pretty hard the other day. Couldn't figure it out, wondering if there is a trick to it.
Yea there must be some trick. Maybe I’m just not lifting up hard enough. Doesn’t seem there is a set screw holding it onto the post, plus it wouldn’t be able to swivel with a set screw.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correction, looking at my post. you can see that there is nothing but a friction fit between the post and the seat base.

I've been meaning to post. i found a post (ha!) on amazon for less that is manually adjustable.
Amazon.com : Wise 8WP21-374 Adjustable Pedestal with Slide : Boat Seating : Sports & Outdoors
at the time it was 72$ it's now 104.
This is purely manual.

View attachment 102023

View attachment 102022
baseplates.

View attachment 102025
both poles next to each other.

I did make the mistake of trying to adjust it while underway the other day and got a nasty pinch cut on my hand as it. It does rattle a bit more than stock and you need to cinch down the rotation collar so that it rattles less. But i got the height i need to drive. At top height my feet do not touch the ground...

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Haha, unfortunately I don’t recall exactly the route I went. Seeing as your boat is rather new, I’m thinking you’ll have significantly less corrosion than I had. My boat was occasionally run in salt water, and it appears that water from the captain’s bathing suit dripped down the seat and the pedestal. This caused some corrosion on the bolts (pedestal to the seat, and pedestal to the deck).

I snagged a picture of a similar pedestal, and I believe there are 4 bolts that hold the pedestal to the seat, approximately marked in red. The biggest pain for me was removing the bolts from the deck. I had a few snap, causing the need to rotate the base some and drill and tap some new holes. I’m very glad I did this mod.

Let us know how it turns out!

View attachment 147640
I may just go with that technique. May be easier to figure out after it’s unbolted from the deck. Hard to see what’s going on sitting on my knees looking upside down, lol.

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Correction, looking at my post. you can see that there is nothing but a friction fit between the post and the seat base.
Thanks for your replies, I’m gonna pull harder...

Monster77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So to end the topic of how does the seat come off the post, I finally got time to really look into this and only took a minute to read the sticker....
lift up on lever that allows the seat to swivel and then pull up on seat :rolleyes:. Just need to make sure the seat is not in a locked position or the pin/latch will prevent it from lifting up. Also make sure the friction control knob is backed off. Pics attached.

Attachments

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just when I think I've seen all the mods...you guys surprise me with another great, insightful, informative upgrade thats going on my to do list.
Thanks so much for all the details, pictures and information. Looks like the pedestal is still available and I might have to wipe of the dust on my tap and die kit. :winkingthumbsup"

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am so pumped that this thread came back to life.

I have somehow missed this mod, and I absolutely need this! (I was actually at looking at buying an aftermarket chair of some type with a taller back…. This should save me some real cash.)

I love this place

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am so pumped that this thread came back to life.

I have somehow missed this mod, and I absolutely need this! (I was actually at looking at buying an aftermarket chair of some type with a taller back…. This should save me some real cash.)

I love this place
So true, when our bolster was missing, I was sitting on all sorts of things. But just getting the chair taller allows me to enjoy the full backrest with my head above the windshield. So nice! Heck, my feet are off the floor at full extension!!

Last edited:

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I actually just swapped mine out for the Springfield this week. I'm worried it might be a little taller than I'm going to be happy with, but I'm looking forward to trying it. It definitely sits 4-5" higher than the factory, even in the lowest setting. Going to try it, and maybe remove the bolster, as it seems to make things worse at this point, but I really wish there would be one that ranges from about 10-15" instead of the 14.5-19.5". I even went ahead and machined a new slot in the base, so that the locking lever locks it in the straight forward position, and not at an angle.

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Finally got that new pedestal installed… it was a little bit of work. I did the “tap” process to get everything lined up. I am going to keep the bolster attached but in the down position, so I ended up pointing the locking mechanism toward the stern in order to slide back a little further. (With the locking mechanism lined up with the steering wheel, I could barely get my legs in there even with the chair totally back.)

It’s a gamechanger as far as the ride goes!1769FA4D-A476-4F45-B09E-3FFD75A2B98D.jpeg597C237E-EC72-42F2-92E8-D88714062940.jpeg8E57F3B3-2483-4EDE-8767-FC71680ECDEE.jpegD6596841-F494-4293-8F17-410F30C21452.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Finally got that new pedestal installed… it was a little bit of work. I did the “tap” process to get everything lined up. I am going to keep the bolster attached but in the down position, so I ended up pointing the locking mechanism toward the stern in order to slide back a little further. (With the locking mechanism lined up with the steering wheel, I could barely get my legs in there even with the chair totally back.)

It’s a gamechanger as far as the ride goes!View attachment 168409View attachment 168410View attachment 168411View attachment 168412
Any issue getting the seat off the post?

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hahaha! No issue… I read the entire thread, and I was expecting some type of trouble. There was a lightweight sliding mechanism that actually prevented the seat from coming up. If you just pull a small tab, it comes right up. I will post a picture when I get back to the shop.

76 degrees here!
547BDACF-B7D9-45B1-B7CE-2AB9B183B856.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you like that floor Mat material and does it absorb water?