• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard Impeller no Grab

@Port0222, good catch on that spot in the pump. It could be the cause of his cavitation.

@Kalock, what is inside the area that @Port0222 circled?

@Port0222, good catch on that spot in the pump. It could be the cause of his cavitation.

@Kalock, what is inside the area that @Port0222 circled?

It's a reflection from the flash. Everything inside looks pretty smooth. I'll be over there this afternoon looking at the intake seal. Our weather report looks like ass until mid next week anyways :)

My only guesses on what the "pop" would be is:
  1. bad splines finally locking (but you said they were ok)
  2. perhaps a big piece of loose sealant on the intake grate that finally just pushes into place with the water flow? (so get under there and take a bunch of pics or video and then grab stills out of it with Microsoft snipping tool)
  3. Perhaps bad cone bearings/seal that are loose and the water/lube mix settled over winter and then once running mixed with enough oil to have the shaft spin more uniformly? (so I'd check the cone bearing first as its easy to get to)
Just trying to think of ideas for ya.... I assume you've change the spark plugs....I thought I had a wear problem and it turned out to be plugs!

After some additional inspection the sealing around the grate seems pretty solid. I found one section in the channel where the grate meets the fiberglass that was not flush filled with silicon. I filled it with 4200 and smoothed it in.

Put the pump back together using 4200 as a seal and will pop the boat in after a 24hr cure to test.

Ok. I'm a true believer that when you do something stupid you should own it. I rebuilt my clean out plugs at the end of last season. They now fit a LOT easier into the channel. Well the starboard plug apparently had popped and that was the issue. Since the boat started and I had just seated the plug before the bad runout it was the last "most obvious" place to check. Which means as an engineer it's the place I assumed was good to go :)

I'm still not sure why the boat was turning over when the plug was out of the set point.

On a positive note it gave me a chance to rebuild and square away the SB jet pump and drive shaft.

Here's to a good summer and thanks all for the suggestions. I'll happily admit after 3 years I still see odd things with this boat :)

The boat will turn over with the plug(s) out. The switches are on the hatch lid. Many of us have forgotten to put the plugs in then discovered that we have no power.

Back