• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering cables frozen.....again!

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem. 2015 223 VRX....EVERY spring my steering cables are frozen and I can't turn the wheel. My dealer says that near every Vortex he sells have frozen steering cables in the spring. I followed the recommendations for lubricating, I pay for winterizing and this year I went out every month and went under the covers and turned the wheel back and forth...and yet, it's frozen again.
The 5 year "peace of mind" extended warranty that was included when I bought the boat specifically excludes steering cables. I have to call Chaparral every spring and argue my point and they "good faith" me the cable, but I have to pay the $275 labor. To me there is a problem. Wanted to see if others have problems....I know the newer boats are fly by wire so this only affects those of us that took a risk and bought early generation Vortex boats.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have the exact same boat but have had no issues at all with steering since new.... extremely easy to turn. I boat only in fresh water but have not even serviced the steering cables.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem. 2015 223 VRX....EVERY spring my steering cables are frozen and I can't turn the wheel. My dealer says that near every Vortex he sells have frozen steering cables in the spring. I followed the recommendations for lubricating, I pay for winterizing and this year I went out every month and went under the covers and turned the wheel back and forth...and yet, it's frozen again.
The 5 year "peace of mind" extended warranty that was included when I bought the boat specifically excludes steering cables. I have to call Chaparral every spring and argue my point and they "good faith" me the cable, but I have to pay the $275 labor. To me there is a problem. Wanted to see if others have problems....I know the newer boats are fly by wire so this only affects those of us that took a risk and bought early generation Vortex boats.
If you boat in salt water and even if you wash and flush thoroughly, I believe the steering cables can get salt inside the sheaths. Someone posted about this type of issue recently...

...ok found it I think:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had success with adding a rubber bellow filled with grease in the rear, using zip ties to secure it. You have nothing to lose if you want to try something different. Something like this...

This was on an older jet boat, and I sold it 2 years in after I installed it, so not sure how much it helped, but worked great while I had it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know the newer boats are fly by wire so this only affects those of us that took a risk and bought early generation Vortex boats.
Are you sure they put servo motors in for the steering? Typically all they do is electronic throttles...not heard of a jet boat with e-steering?

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
They are not using electronic steering, electronic control is just for the throttle. That said, the steering cable issue was a problem for a few on Sea Doo boats (similar power and steering system many year back). I am surprised it has not been 100% corrected, at the same time it could be an isolated case as things happen. I use a lubricant several times a season on everything that is submerged. I prefer Sea-Doo lube, it's expensive but I never had an issue using it on my 2010 Sea Doo Challenger and I will continue to use it on my Chaparral.

ScruLess2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi all,
Bought my 243 VRX in 2016, this spring the cable was frozen. Just finding the Part was a PITA. Love the boat but because of the hardships in finding parts numbers, service techs, etc... I would not have bought this boat and will not again. It's a shame because the boat is awesome but the headaches caused by the dealers, OEM manufactures are just to much to deal with on a regular basis. Something as simple as a steering cable should be easy to find, and replace but NO they're proprietary and can only be bought from BRP for the Rotax. Meanwhile, everyone else uses Telestream cables and anyone can order them.