• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Super Embarrassing

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So I had this podcast interview I had to do as CEO of my company. Well it was at 3:05 and I happened to be launching the boat right about that time and I was really trying hard to get the boat in the water before the call started. Got the boat in at 2:58. Well when I get back to the boat I notice my bilge pump working really well. And I said fuck. So I calmly jumped in put both plugs in and 15 seconds later disaster escaped. Well the guys on the podcast hear the whole thing as I have to tell them my fucking boat is possibly sinking gotta go. But I did call back and finish the interview and proceeded to make my first 3 turns without a rope before falling behind the wave but the little 195 even without any ballast yet is making g a pretty dope wake.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you still have your job you must be doing something right! Boat On.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah unless I fire myself I pretty much won't lose my job lol. It was just a big promotion for an upcoming show so it was important not to be late calling in lol. Obv not as important and putting the plugs in but you know.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
they sell ARE THE PLUGS IN stickers why because everyone does it and some even admit it. upload_2018-7-15_15-37-51.png

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Just like a motorcycle. There's guys who have laid there bike down and guys who lie about it.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I clip one of these "remove before flight" streamers to the handle between the lower and upper swim steps. That way when I get up into the boat to prep it, the streamer reminds me to check the drain plug. Then when I'm up there unhooking it from the swim step handle, it also reminds me to put in the plugs.

Here'a a link to a similar one that I have: https://www.amazon.com/AeroPhoenix-Remove-Before-Flight-Banner/dp/B007GFV6LE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1531693419&sr=8-9&keywords=remove+before+flight+streamer

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I put my drain plugs in before I leave the house. Once I get to the ramp prepping area I will go from the back of the boat towards the front in that order of importance. First things I check...and recheck (OCD) are my drain plugs and all the moving hardware of the steering and bucket assembly looking for any binds of something out of norm. Next I undo my boat buckles, then jump on the swim platform to install my cleanout plug. From there I move towards the front of the boat and cockpit turning on the battery and blower. By the time I'm done tieing on my bumpers and dock lines any vapor in the engine hatch is gone, quick test fire of the engine and she's ready to dip. If you follow the back to front method by order of importance it will save your boat and the embarrassment. Thankfully you caught it in time and no harm other than wet carpets again or soaked bilge and some damaged pride. Boat on but I urge the back to front method and you'll be solid.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yep been there done once 15 yrs ago, about 6" water in the engine compartment before I realized and stripped to jump in and remedy it. Never did it again, one of those things you tend to only do once. :)

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Not even wet carpet. Thank you I'll follow that method from now on.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I clip one of these "remove before flight" streamers to the handle between the lower and upper swim steps. That way when I get up into the boat to prep it, the streamer reminds me to check the drain plug. Then when I'm up there unhooking it from the swim step handle, it also reminds me to put in the plugs.

Here'a a link to a similar one that I have: https://www.amazon.com/AeroPhoenix-Remove-Before-Flight-Banner/dp/B007GFV6LE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1531693419&sr=8-9&keywords=remove+before+flight+streamer
Yup. I've done it too. I now have a similar banner but mine says, "Insert before Flight."

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Imports-Install-Motorcycle-Keychain/dp/B01BO1MJ0C/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1531753458&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=install+before+flight+banner

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put my drain plugs in before I leave the house. Once I get to the ramp prepping area I will go from the back of the boat towards the front in that order of importance.
I think everyone in MN is in the mode of putting them in and taking them out at the ramp now, it's the law and they have folks standing there to govern it. Not as strict as California with a full hull inspection for water, but pretty close.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think everyone in MN is in the mode of putting them in and taking them out at the ramp now, it's the law and they have folks standing there to govern it. Not as strict as California with a full hull inspection for water, but pretty close.
Is this for the invasive species stuff or people there checking boats for drain plugs and other things before they launch?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes and yes. The law was put in place for that reason, to keep from carrying water from lake to lake. The law states you can't be towing past the landing with your plug in. They will ticket you anywhere outside of spitting distance of the landing.

No, they are not there to help be sure you put it in, but that is the reason everyone now is in the habit of only touching that plug while on the ramp. Lakes with zebra mussels have DNR at the landing making sure plugs come out and boats are washed. Lakes with no zebra mussels have lake association volunteers making sure boats are properly drained before they get put in the lake. If you roll up with your plug already installed, they won't let you launch and will immediately call law enforcement if you refuse to pull it and assure them your bilge and engine are dry.

It's good practice, but futile for the most part. They are spreading across the state. It's bummer.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
We don't have that law here but a few lakes I go to do that exact inspection due to those lakes being public drinking water.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've done this twice....both times when I was in a hurry (never good). The last time I did this was last year at the Falls Lake gathering.....we were standing behind my boat and the bilge ran pumping out a lot of water. I think to myself...thats not right....huh....I don't recall putting the plug in (my boat is usually on a lift and the plug never comes out)....so I reach down and sure enough....plug is out. Fortunately it is the plastic plug that hangs there...and was being pushed in by the incoming water, so it wasn't coming in super fast. D'OH!

I did this once with the old boat too...but that time I had backed it into the water and was taking off the safety chain and heard a strange glugging sound and instantly knew what it was!

Perhaps we should have a Trophy for people admitting they've done this! LOL

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a few weeks ago, we pulled the boat and ran our routine of pulling plugs, strapping down emptying toys and wet items. Then wanted to back in again to help nudge the boat further forward on the trailer and square it up.

Just those few minutes in the water and it filled up quickly. I was amazed at how long the water ran once we pulled it out again.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did it once. On a Cal-Sag Channel & Chicago River cruise in 2016 with a number of members from this site, including (I believe) @OperationROL , @Speedling and others. My boat was increasingly acting like a dog as the day went on. We stopped at a tie-up restaurant on the way back from downtown... I was looking at my boat, scratching my head when @Speedling noticed my swimdeck was very low. Light bulb went off! The damned plug! I spent 45 minutes pumping with my manual kayak pump while my family enjoyed a great seafood lunch. I was super relieved when we embarked and I get her back up on a plane!

Note: I had about 40 years of boating experience when I did this. First and only time.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes and yes. The law was put in place for that reason, to keep from carrying water from lake to lake. The law states you can't be towing past the landing with your plug in. They will ticket you anywhere outside of spitting distance of the landing.

No, they are not there to help be sure you put it in, but that is the reason everyone now is in the habit of only touching that plug while on the ramp. Lakes with zebra mussels have DNR at the landing making sure plugs come out and boats are washed. Lakes with no zebra mussels have lake association volunteers making sure boats are properly drained before they get put in the lake. If you roll up with your plug already installed, they won't let you launch and will immediately call law enforcement if you refuse to pull it and assure them your bilge and engine are dry.

It's good practice, but futile for the most part. They are spreading across the state. It's bummer.
With a jet boat or PWC I don't think even pulling the plugs and letting the bilge drain completely would help with stopping the spreading of species. The water boxes will always hold some water no matter how much an engine is revved. Not to mention the various drain compartments we have on our boats that could store water not found in the bilge. Sure the owners should also flush between lakes to help with the engine but like you said its a futile battle.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It's odd but since this happened I've had almost zero water come out of the bilge plugs. I really am starting to think leaving them out and the bilge having to pump all that water may have cleaned out some shit that causing water to enter the bilge. We were on the water for 4 hours yesterday and we had no water come out of the bilge plugs.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have yet to forget the drain plugs have have forgot to put in the clean out plugs, just as embarrassing because normally I don't catch it until after we touched off the dock and hit the throttle!!