• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surprising water leak...

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is new to me but maybe you guys can help.

Took the boat finally for the first run of the season. Boat was spotless and ready to go. I was a one man launching team today. Wife and kids would show later after school. Got the boat in the water and off I went. I even remembered the clean-out plugs this year LOL. It rsn great. I was nervous since this was my first year changing oil, filters and plugs...pat on my back..

So after cruising for a bit I stopped and sat on the transom and enjoyed lunch with no one around. Well the bilge pump kicked in and pushed a good amount of water out. My boat has been dry from the day I got it. Hell there were times I wondered if it worked. So I pop open the engine hatch and there is "some" water in the bottom but not much. I open the access panel by the clean out ports and the drain plug area is pretty dry and not leaking. But the sound proofing on the port side was wet and dripping pretty good. Strange..

Thought It was probably water from whenI washed it in the driveway at home...uphill slope.

So, sitting in the slip waiting for the family, the bilge kicks 2xs...WTF over??? Still not much water in the engine compartment but there is a little.

Cut to the chase...driving back to the marine after playing a bit with the family, My wife notices water leaking from the port water hose connect port. The one with the plastic black cap that we hook the water hose to when running the engines... Well come to find out that was where the water was coming from. I tried everything, swapped caps, and I even inserted the hose adapater into the port.. That shot water out even more like i figured it would but it didn't fix the water leak.

Have any of you guys replaced one of these? I assume there is check valve in there to prevent this and mine has failed after 3 whole years. Disappointing.. The starboard side was fine. Not a drop.

I still pulled the boat out of the slip until I get it fixed. I'll be gone for about a week now and would be worried shitless if was still in the slip.

Any thoughts? Simple repair from the initial looks (but that is usually my kiss of death LOL)

Thx

ps...didn't mean to make a novel out off this story...Sorry :)

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just speculating, but I believe that hose connection could only leak while the engine is running, so you don't need to stress about wet storage. I think that the garden hose hookup line connects to the same cooling lines that are fed by water pressure from a pickup near the impeller. I'm not sure why it might be leaking, maybe the pee vent was clogged and allowing too much back pressure?

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just speculating, but I believe that hose connection could only leak while the engine is running, so you don't need to stress about wet storage. I think that the garden hose hookup line connects to the same cooling lines that are fed by water pressure from a pickup near the impeller. I'm not sure why it might be leaking, maybe the pee vent was clogged and allowing too much back pressure?
X2...water coming out of the pee holes?

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yup, the water vent(s) seemed to have plenty of flow coming out...Always check them.. but honestly only when at idle not cruise speed.

Agreed about the water leaking only when the engine is running but, my mind would not let it go with me being out of town. Better safe than sorry..

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe that you're right, there is a built in check valve at the connection. I got tired of mine leaking when I flushed so I replaced them with a flush kit from Island Racing. Haven't had a drop leak out yet. It did require opening the hole in the fiberglass a bit, but imho a much better system.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree, your check valve is leaking. I haven't seen that kit from Island Racing before. Might have to invest in that. Mine leak when flushing but my valves are up high under the hatch covers so when flushing the water goes out of the boat, not in the boat.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thx, itsdgm, I'll look into that. Couldn't find the OEM parts on any diagram last night before my laptop battery died.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The most common leaks on these boats are the drain plug and the jet pump access port plugs (while underway).
All have o-rings that need to be clean, lubed and seated properly or they will leak!
A dribble out of the flush port isn't unusual but doesn't amount to much and should drain out the scupper anyway.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is definitely a first. Never heard of water coming out of the flush ports. Never thought about it, but yeah I guess the pressure would push water to the valve in there. Learn something new everyday on here.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with the 2014, but my 2015 will hold a couple of gallons in the bilge before the Yamaha pump picks it up. Sounds like you may have more than one leak happening here. Maybe the result of winter freeze/thaw cycles.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Do any of you guys know what the OEM Yamaha part would be?( not the part that you put on the end of the hose, but the port you insert the hose into and twist) Cant find the part or number on any of the diagrams and haven't been able to call Yamaha for assistance. No offense but the island racing kit looks a bit bulky for me.. I'm not a saltwater guy so I wont be flushing the engines often

Any help would be appreciated..

When i get back home I'll hook the port up with a hose and run some water thru it (yes with the engine running) to try and cycle the internals and see if that help? But the real test will be when I put it back in the water and see if it leaks while running around. Hate having to put it in the lake then pull it out if that doesnt fix it.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking maybe what you need to.look for is called a hose joint? That might be where the valve is. 1494176985670.jpg

D3nN1s

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Just had this happen to me yesterday on my 192... were you able to pin point the part?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

D3nN1s

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yeah, it drips out when under power, so I imagine it’s a check valve like others say, but haven’t taken it apart yet to see where the valve is, if there is even one... after a half hour or so it’s enough to wet the carpets so kind of annoying... the more power the faster the leak

Austin1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow I have been trying to find the source of the water getting into my boat for weeks. I noticed my port flush fitting leaking a few days ago but didn't think much of it. Guess I have my answer now.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey there @D3nN1s, Yes it sounds like you have the exact problem I had. I ended up getting it fixed under the YES warranty at our Marine. The leak seemed to lessen so I held off on getting it fixed at the end of the season. The shop replaced (basically) #1-#8 in the above diagram. Now, I haven't had it out on the water since they fixed it but I will next week. Just haven't had the days off and good weather I was hoping for to get her up and running.

I'm not sure if this was helpful at all...Good luck

D3nN1s

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yeah, let me know if that fixes it. this post was greatly appreciated yesterday when I was out on the water and was able to determine that it was a minor problem from the previous posts. Jetboaters.net Saved the boat day! Thanks guys