• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX192 Add access hatch to the helm compartment

Joe Covelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SX192 Adding Access Hatch To
Helm Compartment

This modification will probably work on the 190 series boats also, because I believe our hulls are exactly the same. The size access hatch I picked for my needs was the biggest found without going to a super size hatch. It's outer dimensions are, 12.875" x 16.875", inside dimensions are, 9.625" x 13.5". You might find a bigger one that will fit in that space, if you search around. The hatch was purchased on the net from, (okefenokeeoutdoors.com) for $68.55. The manufacturer is, T.H. Marine, part# HDS-1317-2-DP. The box it comes in can be used as a template for cutting the hole, and the mounting screws are included. I measured from the bottom of the port side hatch to the floor, and used that height for the starboard hatch. If you look at the finished picture you'll notice I favored the hatch to the forward side of the helm wall. My worry was the inward curve of the helm kick space. After cutting the hole you could see that favoring the hatch towards the front, was not needed. The installation looks fine but this will now limit the size of installing a larger hatch in the future. Use two layers of masking tape when laying out the hole, and where the jigsaw will come in contact with the surface. At the time of installation it didn't occur to me to take pictures, so the only ones I can show are before, and after pics. Hope this is of some help.

P1010260.JPG

P1010590.JPG

P1010591.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
great job, thanks for posting this

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Awesome job. Looks great.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This adds a huge storage area to the 190 and 192s !

Mike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That came out really nice and looks OEM too! Do the steering cables get in the way?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a great option and I think this or some variation is definitely doable on the LS/LX 2000's. The windshields provide this storage now but it would be nice to access these areas from the side so that the storage buckets do not have to removed.

Joe Covelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All the cables lay flat on the bottom, but the steering cable does rise up and around to the steering box. The way its run, it doesn't really get into the way of most storage. I store all my extra life vests in the back area, and in the remaining area is, the toolbox, tube inflator, medical kit, and misc stuff. Check out the pictures below.

P1010593.JPG P1010595.JPG P1010596.JPG

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nicely done! Nicely done!

Mike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is great!! I always thought that it was cluttered up with the cables and dash wires behind there. I didnt realize how much room is in there!! Thanks for posting.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
VERY Nice!!!! will that work on my 212? If so its next on my list.

Joe Covelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The best way to tell if it will work on a 212 is to lift up the starboard bow seat cushion, and with a flashlight, plus some contorting of your body, and look in there. If that looks promising the next step in my case was to remove the backrest cushion exposing a large cutout, for an even better look. You will need monkey arms to reach through the seat cushion opening, around, and up to the center of the backrest cushion. There you can feel for the two wing nuts that hold on the backrest. If you have a teenager it would be a good job for them. My kids are grown and out of the house so I had to do it myself. Good luck.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is AWESOME......def a must for my mod list!!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice work. Looks stock

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow! Nice job! I can't believe they don't come with one already!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Job well done.
Definitely something to add to my list. Do you have the part number for that hatch?

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Urgh I really want to do this mod... but really don't want to be responsible for it if I screw it up lol

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very nice!

Joe Covelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Urgh I really want to do this mod... but really don't want to be responsible for it if I screw it up lol
It was difficult for me to drill a hole in a nice new boat, especially in that location. I just took my time, removed the bow backrest cushion to look at the backside where the cut was going, double checked my measurements, and went for it. I'm glad I did it because that spot was handy this season for storing life vests, toolbox & first aid kit.

Joe Covelli

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Job well done.
Definitely something to add to my list. Do you have the part number for that hatch?
Job well done.
The hatch was purchased on the net from, (okefenokeeoutdoors.com) for $68.55. The manufacturer is, T.H. Marine, part# HDS-1317-2-DP.