• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk me out of a SX190!

Eb1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very close to buying a 2024 SX190--I'm particularly concerned about reliability after some bad experiences with my 2002 Sea Doo Utopia 205 (with the optimax engine that in retrospect everyone seems to agree is terrible!) Has anyone encountered any issues with this class/engine? 100% freshwater, mostly kids watersports (tubing, skiing, some wakeboarding, etc).

Thanks in advance!

sgust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2022 AR190, I think its an awesome boat. Mine has the 1.8 and I think the 2024 comes with the new 1.9 so not sure about the reliability of the new engines but if its anything like the 1.8, they're super easy to maintain and get pretty good MPG. We have close to 60 hours on hours and only thing Ive done to it is change the oil. My wife and I really enjoy the boat, its awesome for being a smaller boat. Has plenty of power and space when we have our 4 friends with us. Super easy to tow and launch and can go places the bigger boats on the lake cant. Haven't done much tubing with ours but the times we did tow it handled it pretty decently with the weight we had on board.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I had a 2022 SX195 (1.8 w/ the supercharger) and it was great. As @sgust mentioned, the maintenance is super easy, and the size for a 19' boat was substantially bigger than originally expected. We could seat 6 very comfortably, and 7 if the right sized people were across the back seat ;). I personally went with the 195 model so I could get the added HP (250 compared to 180) and I would blow past the local AR190s, but that was my personal preference. With 40 gallons of fuel, 2 adults, the top up and a good tail wind, I hit 50.1mph and comfortable average cruising speed between 28-34mph. Not sure about the 1.9l engines as I have not heard many people talk about them yet, but if Yamaha did their R&D, they should be just fine.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Biggest complaint for 190s is they are easily overloaded weight wise and everyone eventually complaints about lack of top speed. I would go with a 195 or 210 or 220 over the 190.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After owning a merc powered SeaDoo, I get the worry. But with those motors, they were actually pretty solid, but if they failed it was usually pretty catastrophic and costly.

After owning many Yamaha engines in different powersports, worry for the reliability of the engine should be the last thing on your mind. Yamaha is an engine builder first, and this particular 1.8ltr engine is used in many boats and PWC for many years, roughly 15. Any issues over those years have been well documented here and other places.

If you are going with the newer 1.9, there is no history, as it is new to the line. Again, Yamaha used a great base to start with and updated it to the 1.9. If you have the least bit of concern, Yamaha offers a YES warranty, and they are great about taking care of first year buyers.

If you cannot wrap your head around that concern, then go get one of the many 2023's still on dealer lots with the 1.8ltr version. Or slightly used, as the 190 series is the entry level, and there are plenty on the market as first time buyers may be getting away from something they may not have used as much as expected.

Good luck,

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
We owned a 2019 SX190 and loved the boat. I truly had no complaints. We had to sell it as I was going in for heart surgery and if something god forbid was to happen to me, I did not want my wife burdened with the boat. I believe the gentleman we sold it to, still has it and loves it. We did not have one issue with it and even though we purchased a 2024 222S this year, we still miss the 190. If you are looking for a boat that is a speed demon, than a 190 is not the way to go. Our top speed was in the 38-40 MPH consistently. It's a solid boat and we had no issues with the boat whatsoever and I highly recommend it. If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me and I will answer anything I can for you.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about the Doo Dystopia…. Depending how many kids and family, I’d go with at least a 22’ boat with the new 1.9L engines, 222S on up. Then you will have 400 hp=plenty of power out of the hole for towing, and the extra room for extra folks. If you go to the 25’ series you will have a head compartment and plenty of room. Guys with their exterior plumbing don’t have the issues that girls do with their interior plumbing so a head compartment is really nice for them. And, the head compartment has copious room for storing stuff. And after having a couple of emergency blow downs while out on the water, I can tell you having that little porta potty was awesome.

There is probably room enough for a small porta potty to be stored in the port storage compartment, just need an innovative screen of some kind for privacy on the 22’ models.

I am a relative newcomer to Yamaha boats having purchased my boat in 2020, but I will agree with the others that the last thing you need to worry about is engine reliability. As well, I have no doubt about the reliability of the 1.9L engines, I’d buy a boat with those in it in a heart beat.

Also agree with the others that the 19’ boats with the normally aspirated motors are great for a couple to go fast in, but there are many posts here about folks struggling to stay above 38 mph. The super charged engine boats are much quicker. But you cannot beat the torque of the twin engine boats to get someone up on a ski / wake board.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I won't talk you out of a 190. I think they are exceptional values, and provide a really high smiles-per-dollar service factor :D

We've had our '17 AR190 since new. It's been a workhorse of a boat for us, and has had VERY few problems. I want to say we have over 300hrs on it at this point, but I honestly don't remember. Started taking it to the gulf each year in '21, but use it mainly on inland lakes that are relatively small. It's not fast, but it's consistent and reliable. Super easy and inexpensive to own (tow, store, operate, etc), and is pretty versatile for a small family and a few friends.

Last edited:

Eb1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks all! I’m fortunate to have a cabin on a pretty small lake in New England, so I think the 22’ would be too big. Definitely considering the 195’s, looks like the resale value is pretty great so I may be willing to step up a few grand.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all! I’m fortunate to have a cabin on a pretty small lake in New England, so I think the 22’ would be too big. Definitely considering the 195’s, looks like the resale value is pretty great so I may be willing to step up a few grand.
I had a 2018 AR190 and is was great, only complaint was lack of speed (40mph tops) and over 6 people with average of 160lbs was slow to plane. But super fuel efficient. We purchased a 2021 AR210 and it is night and day difference. We got about the same fuel economy but the twin tr1's pack a lot of low end punch. No worries about tubing or wake boarding with 6 people on board. Top end is still about 40-43mph but has way more GRUNT! Good luck too you but as I've learned bigger is always better, facts are facts.

Fordman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a 2018 AR190 and is was great, only complaint was lack of speed (40mph tops) and over 6 people with average of 160lbs was slow to plane. But super fuel efficient. We purchased a 2021 AR210 and it is night and day difference. We got about the same fuel economy but the twin tr1's pack a lot of low end punch. No worries about tubing or wake boarding with 6 people on board. Top end is still about 40-43mph but has way more GRUNT! Good luck too you but as I've learned bigger is always better, facts are facts.
If I had to do it again with price being the most impact, I would go with a AR220. But if that's just a bit out of range than no less than a AR195. Just my 2 cents.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only thing I would sway you on here is the move from an SX to an AR.

The tower isn't just for watersports. It's also for a variety of other things and really helps add to the functionality of the boat. This is my 2nd boat, and my 1st tower. The tower is SOOO much nicer. Here's a quick list of things it does that an SX doesn't do.

Benefits of a tower
  • Hang towels to dry
  • hang speakers to hear music behind boat while at anchor/floating
  • hangs baby seats (see picture below)
  • Something to hold onto at the dock that doesn't require "stooping down" to hold the windshield
  • Gets Bimini poles and bimini storage off the deck/gunwales
  • Gets anchor light off the rear area and up overhead
  • mounts to antenna for radios
  • Tow point for water sports (if you're into that sort of thing)
  • Looks pretty cool!

A few drawbacks though
  • Have to modify the stops to get it in a 7ft garage. (it's not bad)
  • Does add to wind resistance while towing (although no much)
  • People tend to think you're way cooler than you are (happens to me a lot)
Baby swing picture for dad street cred :D
1710854322825.png

A few other thoughts.....

We went 190 instead of 195. Based on two things. Color scheme at the time, and fuel consumption. We've made some longer runs in the 190 that aren't possible with the 195. Old Hickory Lake to Nashville and back via the Cumberland river used a FULL tank of fuel (light came on pulling onto the trailer). 195 would have required carrying additional fuel, or finding a place in Nashville to fuel up before returning. A few years ago, we did Navarre to Pensacola and back to watch the Blue Angels. Again, could have made it on a single tank for that run, where a 195 would have had to stop along the way for fuel. We've also noticed that a full tank of fuel on the way to camp on Friday night, will typically last for 2 full weekend days of boating/tubing/cruising/etc. The 190 runs on 87 octane, and at 30gal is typically under $100 to fill up (assuming reasonable gas costs, and you didn't completely empty it last time). That's a lot of entertainment for $100 IMO. With that said, if you're headed to a small lake, and 93 Octane is available there, the 195 does provide quite a bit more power, as well as a larger pump (160mm vs 155mm) for more "grip" on the water to put that power down under load. Color scheme is subjective here, so buy the one you like!

A final thought for you.....This is hands down the "simplest" boat I've owned or operated. The mechanical systems are dead simple, and I think that really is part of why they're so reliable/robust. Steering and directional control are cable operated. No transmission, just a coupler and a couple of bearings. No cooling water pump (uses the big jet pump for that). No alternator, just a stator and rotor and water cooled rectifier. No hydraulic system for tilt/trim or steering. It's really hard to convey the simplicity of the jet driveline as compared with a regular I/O boat until you see it. Makes it super inexpensive to maintain, and operate. If there is a problem, the support from this forum, some basic hand tools, and a couple of beers will likely get you back on the water in short order.

Good luck with your search, and be sure to let us know when you get one!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I went with the SX opposed to the AR, again solely preference based. I do see a lot more AR boats around, so I would assume the tower is great to have. I liked the fact the SX has two captains chairs opposed to the AR does not, and I didn’t think I would use the tower, and never had a need for it. I wasn’t willing to spend the extra money for the 195s to gain the tower and both captains chairs, but if you went with an AR, there are posts on how you can add a second captains chair if you wanted to, and get the same basic benefits as the 195S.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
there are posts on how you can add a second captains chair if you wanted to, and get the same basic benefits as the 195S.
This is important. Just because you buy a thing one way, doesn't mean it has to stay that way. I've seen threads to swap captains chairs to bench, and bench to chairs. I've also seen threads to add a tower to an SX (Haven't seen anyone remove the tower from an AR permanently though).

The "modding" culture around here (and likely around boats in general) is pretty big. If you want to do a thing, there's a good chance someone's done it, or can help you do it.

Mods I've done to our '17 AR190 and trailer
  • Cut in helm storage door
  • Sound bar on Tower
  • Speaker upgrade all around
  • Bilge Pump Switch addition (pending)
  • drain lines on swim platform cupholders to wet tray area.
  • Cupholder at helm (pending)
  • USB charging port at helm
  • RideSteady
  • Additional Stereo Remote at helm
  • Subwoofer and Amplifier (pending)
  • Added spare tire and cover to trailer
  • LED lights on trailer
  • Bow Roller swap
  • Radial Tires on trailer (not really a mod I guess)
  • stainless license plate bracket on trailer
  • Ribbon delete
  • L13 Pump cone
  • sealed pump intake tunnel

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have had great luck with our 2018 SX190. It has decent power even when 6 passengers are on board. The main reason my wife and I have been considering an upgrade is to get a bit more space and not get bounced around so much by the wake of the larger boats.
When we bought the 190, we wanted to start small since my wife always had a bad history of motion sickness and sea sickness with many unfavorable experiences on family boats or spirit of baltimore / philadelphia boat rides. I kick myself when we were at the shows back then for at least not considering or pricing out the 210 because I'm sure the payment difference wouldn't have been that bad.

We have a little over 100 hours on ours and it has seen both fresh and salt water. It's been fun and reliable! We did at the lateral thruster and thrust vectors from jet boat pilot after we owned the boat for about 45 days or so; coming from a sterndrive the steering was tricky to get used to.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a personal opinion but if you are set on a 19' go with an AR195. Horsepower is never a bad thing and towers (as stated above) are great for a lot of reasons (solid bimini mounting, towel hanger, bar to hang on to when standing, great tow point for water sports, makes the boat look better, better for re-sale, etc...). I don't have personal experience with this boat but the largest complaint seems to be getting bogged down when loaded with people and/or at higher elevations in the 190 but not so much with the 195. We started our search with an SX190 and after much research and a lot of walk throughs ended up with an AR210 (still wish I'd have gone with a 250 now that we've got a couple of seasons under our belt).

Eb1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For everyone waiting with bated breath—signed the papers today for a little bit older SX192 with only ~100 hours. Excited to get it out on the water (it just snowed again up here so I’ll have to wait)