• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad you recovered. Current recommendation is shot after 90 days after recovering.

As an aside, I've mentioned that all of the patients that I've seen reinfected had their initial bout 6 months or more before. Last week I had a patient reinfected only after a bit under 3 months! A first for me.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad you recovered. Current recommendation is shot after 90 days after recovering.

As an aside, I've mentioned that all of the patients that I've seen reinfected had their initial bout 6 months or more before. Last week I had a patient reinfected only after a bit under 3 months! A first for me.
I didn't know there was a recommendation. I'll definitely cancel my appointment for tomorrow then. I didn't full recover because I never gained back my smell. I can smell a deodorant stick and have nothing. It's very strange.

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't know there was a recommendation. I'll definitely cancel my appointment for tomorrow then. I didn't full recover because I never gained back my smell. I can smell a deodorant stick and have nothing. It's very strange.
Actually, the 90 day recommendation is only if you've been treated with monoclonal antibodies. If you have not, then the recommendation is just to wait until you've fully recovered from the illness and have met the requirements to no longer remain in isolation.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Actually, the 90 day recommendation is only if you've been treated with monoclonal antibodies. If you have not, then the recommendation is just to wait until you've fully recovered from the illness and have met the requirements to no longer remain in isolation.

\
huh. I stand corrected. I'll have to look further into this.

ryanfromokc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So what's everyone's experience with the vaccine? I'll start....

Got the first shot of Pfizer Thursday, March 11 through Denton County Health. Went to Texas Motor Speedway as instructed for the drive thru vaccine administration. All I can say is wow. What a well oiled machine. This thing will be written about in the history books. They were giving the shot Tuesdays and Thursdays and running somewhere around 35,000 people a week through there +/- 10,000 people. From start to finish I was thru in about 25 minutes and that is counting the 15 min observation period.

That night I had a fever and pretty bad body aches. The next day I had body aches and very fatigued. Had a meeting at lunch and after meeting came home and passed out on the couch, which is unusual for me. Saturday morning still fatigued but I pounded some gatorade and water and managed to play a round of golf that afternoon. By Saturday evening I was normal. To preface this I will add I had a bad case of Covid in mid Dec. Nine days with fever between 99.5 - 101F. Body aches for 5 days, dry cough, tight chest, fatigue, loss of taste and smell. Took roughly 3 weeks to fully recover from cough. I'm also type A+ blood.

I get my 2nd dose tomorrow at 1:30 at Texas Motor Speedway and to say my anxiety is very high about getting sick again would be an understatement. Will update later.
I had Pfizer 1st and 2nd shot and no side effects or sickness. Some people I know felt a little bad the next day after 2nd shot.
Enjoy!
Ryan

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski But this is exactly the challenge. How do you share additional info to potentially move the needle? Appointments for vaccine in MS are unfilled. Many read and identify with articles like that one. How do you respond with empathy and support to those unconvinced to show them that this is not the correct version of the truth?

I don't have the solution.

One side is greatly skeptical, the other feels they are interacting with Flat Earthers that ignore "prima fascia" evidence. If the gap is not closed we will not reach the vaccine coverage we hope for.
People only hear what they want to hear until an often times traumatic event causes them to reconsider their position. Nothing that gets shared in this thread will swing the needle one way or the other. The skill set needed to objectively listen to a reasonable explanation is in general missing from the population!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
People only hear what they want to hear until an often times traumatic event causes them to reconsider their position. Nothing that gets shared in this thread will swing the needle one way or the other. The skill set needed to objectively listen to a reasonable explanation is in general missing from the population!
I choose to believe otherwise. (Maybe without proof!!!pretty funny!!!)

Just like no single statement will sway all, I believe it is a gradient, and many folks can be persuaded with data and facts (or cash!) addressing their specific concerns.

Did you see some folks in West Virginia will be payed $100 to get vaccinated? Kroger is also offering cash to employees to get vaccinated.

I appreciate your thoughts. I find sometimes inquiring what drives those that "feel" unreasonable can be revealing, and while all cannot be converted, some data helps. For example,

in the US one out of four of those over 85 years of age testing positive will die from it. (If the current trend holds)

Those over 65, one out of 10 infected will die.(If the current trend holds)

Maybe that changes someone's perspective? Who knows.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I choose to believe otherwise. (Maybe without proof!!!pretty funny!!!)

Just like no single statement will sway all, I believe it is a gradient, and many folks can be persuaded with data and facts (or cash!) addressing their specific concerns.

Did you see some folks in West Virginia will be payed $100 to get vaccinated? Kroger is also offering cash to employees to get vaccinated.

I appreciate your thoughts. I find sometimes inquiring what drives those that "feel" unreasonable can be revealing, and while all cannot be converted, some data helps. For example,

in the US one out of four of those over 85 years of age testing positive will die from it. (If the current trend holds)

Those over 65, one out of 10 infected will die.(If the current trend holds)

Maybe that changes someone's perspective? Who knows.
It should, but sadly it won't until it hits home with some people.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sharing my experience with the moderna vaccine. I got the second dose last Thursday morning. Around 24 hours later on Friday mid morning I developed a full headache and went back to bed and slept for around 4 hours. Took a hot shower and some Advil and felt better.

By Friday evening, while I was still tired I was feeling better. Saturday afternoon lunch with the wife and a few IPAs. My arm has been a little sore, that has now cleared up.

I do believe I was a long Covid person, the vaccines actually have made me feel more like myself than I think I have in sometime. Looking forward to summer and boating!

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got my second Moderna shot on Friday, 4/23 @ 7:30pm. Around 2pm the next day, I got really tired, like suddenly tired. I went to bed at 7pm and slept like a baby! I never woke up until 8:45am the next day. My arm was a little sore at the injection site for about 48hrs.
My wife refuses to get the vaccine.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We had our first employee die from Covid. 27 year old guy - was getting married in June. This is far from over.....
That is unfortunate. I'm hearing reports of younger and younger people ending up on the ventilator. I haven't seen that myself yet but my colleagues at other places are. Which makes Joe Rogan's comments even worse.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That is unfortunate. I'm hearing reports of younger and younger people ending up on the ventilator. I haven't seen that myself yet but my colleagues at other places are. Which makes Joe Rogan's comments even worse.
Rogan just stated what probably pretty much everyone in this country under 35 thinks.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Rogan just stated what probably pretty much everyone in this country under 35 thinks.
Well first that’s definitely not true, but second thank God the world isn’t run by the average person under 35 or Joe Rogan.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well first that’s definitely not true, but second thank God the world isn’t run by the average person under 35 or Joe Rogan.
Sorry that’s just my echo chamber;)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you have any insight into strain type? Wondering if they are getting re-infected with a new variant. For the first 8 months of this thing, re-infection seemed quite rare (and when it did, was worthy of a case publication). Maybe not so infrequent anymore.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can someone simplify this for me?

I got the J&J single dose vaccine. It’s about 66% effective depending on the day/source but the other two vaccines are 95ish % effective. How am I not the wrong guy to be in the whole, “ look to your left and look to your right, one of the you (three) is screwed” scenario?

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can someone simplify this for me?

I got the J&J single dose vaccine. It’s about 66% effective depending on the day/source but the other two vaccines are 95ish % effective. How am I not the wrong guy to be in the whole, “ look to your left and look to your right, one of the you (three) is screwed” scenario?
Even though the J&J vaccine is not quite as effective as the others at preventing infection (74% in the US), it is still incredibly effective in preventing severe illness and death. In studies it was 100% effective in preventing hospitalization and death. It’s unrealistic to expect 100% protection in the real world, but you get the idea.

I think you should still feel good about being vaccinated with J&J. Even if you are unlucky enough to get infected, it is extremely unlikely that it would be severe.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Now I feel silly for my post. One of the most hardest things is known what you don't know. I should've kept quiet and not have commented on this thread. What with my lack of intelligence and what not...

Please do tell, @Wake_Dude, how your traveling nurse anecdotal evidence is far superior to the anecdotal evidence supplied by me and my colleagues (all of us intensivists). All of us are equal, but some are more equal than others right?

Maybe it is my own stupidity, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly is your argument. Are you calling me and my colleagues liars because "there are no young people on the ventilator. Period. End of discussion"? Or are you saying these patients DO exist but they are outliers? You can't really have both can you? Maybe you can. Maybe I'm just stooopid. What do I know? I'm not capable of working in every nook and cranny in the hospital.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Even though the J&J vaccine is not quite as effective as the others at preventing infection (74% in the US), it is still incredibly effective in preventing severe illness and death. In studies it was 100% effective in preventing hospitalization and death. It’s unrealistic to expect 100% protection in the real world, but you get the idea.

I think you should still feel good about being vaccinated with J&J. Even if you are unlucky enough to get infected, it is extremely unlikely that it would be severe.
I find this hard to buy. 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death..... if you catch the virus, what are the odds of being hospitalized, 1% or less? At best it gives you a 1% better chance of not going to the hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.