• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thrust Vector Question on 2023 FSH 222

SAA_Woodstock

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thrust Vector metal frame cross support making contact with hull causing damage to gel coat. There is not a scratch or any kind of marks on the underneath of my boat or on the Thrust Vector fins that would indicate contact from any object pushing the fins up. Just my own thought, while in heavy chop the bottom ski tabs on the Thrust Vectors push them up too high. Also, this situation momentarily jams the steering.

Thrust Vectors on 2023 FSH 222 Sport E

Video 1
Video 2

Untitled 3.jpgUntitled 5.jpgUntitled 4.jpgUntitled2.jpg

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you contacted @JetBoatPilot with your concerns? Perhaps they were installed wrong?? I don’t think there’s any way that mine could come into contact with the hull at any point of there movement.

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow. i had no idea plastic hitting fiberglass could do that. My fins always splashed at low speeds but never caused any damage.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If the other side does not have the same damage and it has the same range of movement then you hit something and it knocked up that high.

Learn to use the TDE position (explained in your owners manual) on the throttles and raise the engine rpm’s by using the no wake mode and you will have very brisk and quick steering control.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not the case here, you have to be steering opposite angle for the other nozzle fin to be positioned correctly to go up into the gap on the other side. It is only possible for one side at a time to fit in the gaps above. So I can show you a picture of the other side doing the same thing if it makes it easier to understand however the fin is not damaging the fiberglass the METAL CROSS BRACE IS DOING THAT so therefore either one of those could hit it if the nozzle is in the correct position when the fin goes up in the recess.
So is there similar damage on the port side or is the damage limited to the starboard side?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure where you are going with the question? No only showing damage on starboard side. But, both side cannot go up in the gaps at the same time because you would need to have the steering wheel at different position for each side. Maybe this video will answer what you are looking to go with your question.

Watch Video Here
Your vid shows the damage is fixed, looks like they did a nice job on that. Was that the dealer, or did you take it to someone else?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered the gel coat repair kit and did it myself.
Good to hear the kits seem to be back in stock, or at least easier to get. Recent issues with ordering from others on the forum had me thinking to order up a colored kit for mine. White is easy to track down, but your green would need to be specific from them. Looks like you did some good work

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
how is it able to ride that high ? isnt the thrust vector designed to ride on top of the thrust itself. since it is spring loaded, it should always be forcing itself down. The water coming out of the pump is 4" or so lower from the cross bracket which is where the thrust vector basically is at its highest point. i may be wrong, but i thought that is how it operates.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Not sure where you are going with the question? No, only showing damage on starboard side. But, both side cannot go up in the gaps at the same time because you would need to have the steering wheel at different position for each side. Maybe this video will answer what you are looking to go with your question.

Watch Video Here

Where I’m going with that question was to find out if the other side had the same issue, and it did not. The other thing I would want to know is if the downward tension on the TV was the same on the port side as was on the starboard side… If the port side had more tension then that would lead me to believe that the TV’s were not installed properly on the starboard side. You mentioned that when you talked to JBP they said basically that would not happen if the springs were installed properly and you did not follow up with that info after you removed the TV’s.

No where else on this site to best of my knowledge have I ever seen anyone report an issue like this with the JBP TV’s. The only problem I have ever seen reported about the TV’s is that someone messed up installing them. As a FYI, the 22’ hulls are all the same with the exception of the wake series of boats.

Just trying to get to the root cause of the problem.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nope , I spoke to the man when I read this yesterday , if you looked at his pictures it is obvious what the cause and the issue is. The fins are huge they have water skies on the ends of them contacting the water surface when they are up .They do not rise up from the water exiting the nozzle they rise up from the skies making contact with the water so if you are crossing waves or chop when on plane , those can push the fin up sufficiently to get lodged into the cavity and stop the rotation of the steering . It is not a hard issue to fix but it is an obvious problem and I see that Yamaha changed the hull probably to make the area more friendly for people sitting on the seats that hang behind the boat. In any case if you have that same situation you should look into it asap and deal with it just to be safe. He will be installing a different steering system soon and I hope he will report back on his experience .

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It appears their question was answered.
Seems to run counter to the proposition this forum has built such a great reputation for - we freely offer help, share info or possible solutions, and do so to help those who may be having the same problem at this time, AND to help those who follow behind. To take his big red ball and go home, removing all the pics, links & posts, seems like there's no interest in paying it forward to others, or to show some troubleshooting and follow through to the end. Help me, forget everyone else, I got what I need from you guys. 🤷‍♂️ Very Clemson Tiger-ish

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Seems to run counter to the proposition this forum has built such a great reputation for - we freely offer help, share info or possible solutions, and do so to help those who may be having the same problem at this time, AND to help those who follow behind. To take his big red ball and go home, removing all the pics, links & posts, seems like there's no interest in paying it forward to others, or to show some troubleshooting and follow through to the end. Help me, forget everyone else, I got what I need from you guys. 🤷‍♂️ Very Clemson Tiger-ish
I did not see that at all I stayed out of it until it was apparent people just did not understand the issue his pictures and video were on the money . He had already ordered my super magnum ak-19 deluxe system and was replacing the plastic fins and Will gave him store credit for them so he was not really asking a question he was passing along some important safety information trying to give you folks a heads up. That is how I see it any way, it's all good now!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not see that at all I stayed out of it until it was apparent people just did not understand the issue his pictures and video were on the money . He had already ordered my super magnum ak-19 deluxe system and was replacing the plastic fins and Will gave him store credit for them so he was not really asking a question he was passing along some important safety information trying to give you folks a heads up. That is how I see it any way, it's all good now!
Hard to pass along information that doesn't exist. Hard to miss that part.

I'd reference the other questions that were asked, but again, they don't exist any longer. It's even been changed to note that we should disregard the question that went with the pics, links & info. That's what I'm referring to. Certainly gives the feel of "if you guys aren't going to help me, or at least agree with me, ClemsonTiger had the right idea".

I had comments for other stuff regarding his boat, and I'm thankful I reposted a modded pic for others to see what I was seeing, and it also added this thread on my watched list to see the process work itself out. A heretofore unseen issue seems like it'd be useful and interesting for everyone and anyone following, or who may currently have the same issue, which is the point behind leaving up info here. To make the point even finer, It's why your posts about intermediate bearings and multiple other great posts are godsends for those who run into those issues, and make this forum so valuable. Removing such things runs counter to what makes this place great.

Here's hoping for success with his new system 🤷‍♂️

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This is what he will be using on his boat . I just mailed it out today Super magnum ak-19 deluxe system 1711994719749.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thrust Vector metal frame cross support making contact with hull causing damage to gel coat. There is not a scratch or any kind of marks on the underneath of my boat or on the Thrust Vector fins that would indicate contact from any object pushing the fins up. Just my own thought, while in heavy chop the bottom ski tabs on the Thrust Vectors push them up too high. Also, this situation momentarily jams the steering.

Thrust Vectors on 2023 FSH 222 Sport E

View attachment 217327View attachment 217330View attachment 217331View attachment 217332
This was an awesome gesture, thanks for replacing it :winkingthumbsup"