• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Time for new tires

leatherneck33

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is time (actually past time) for me to buy new tires for the trailer. Any recommendations?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On my second MFI trailer with maxxis. No complaints. @PEARCE did have one blow out on him though.

leatherneck33

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you get those tires? I don't see that Discount Tire or Sams have them.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can order them from discount tire. Took about a week to get to Wichita Falls each time I ordered them.

I definitely recommend radials...

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always ran Maxxis on my campers and have had no problems. Whatever you do don't get Carlisle tires. They call them "China Bombs" for a reason and I've experienced it first hand.

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Come on use some Aggie ingenuity, the inside of those tires don't have any wear on them at all. Just turn them inside out and you can get 4 more years out of them. lol

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yea but then they are racing slicks. Tough to use at the ramp!!

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hercules.

Related to Cooper tires. Had them for a couple of seasons and love them. Slightly less than Maxxis if your local trailer store carries them.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
America's Tire had to order Maxxis for me. It took about a week for them to come in.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Technically I didn't have a blowout. The entire tread belt came off. The tire still held air for another three days before going flat. I went with Kuhmo 857 radials this go around. They're a high speed rated commercial trailer tire. I had to order them from Discount Tire as well. I still have Maxxis on my camper though. I agree with @HawkTX on not to go with the China bombs.

Mike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn!! My trailer came with the "china bombs" what pressure should I be running them at??

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They should be checked when they're cold and be set to 50 psi. Don't drive faster then 65, especially in the heat of the summer. Every time you stop for fuel, or a rest stop of any kind, look over the tires carefully. Watch for signs of separation in and around the tread. While you're at it, hold your hand over the hubs to check for excessive heat. The wheels with the brakes will be warmer then the ones without so keep that in mind.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I also run Maxxis, went to them after my Goodyear Marathon's shredded treads, these are now also called China bombs. Before they went to China production the Marathon's were good tires.

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maxxis here too. I got them through discounttiredirect.com

In order to mount them, I jacked up one side of my trailer and took those two tires and wheels to a local shop and swapped them and then did the other side the same way. Seemed easier than towing the boat and trailer up there.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the tire size for an MFI trailer?

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used Maxxis M8008 ST205/75R-14 on my MFI

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maxxis here. I ordered them on eBay from discount tire direct and then had my local discount tire install them.

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought some cheap Chinese no-name radials at the beginning on last season. I read a lot of reviews when looking and found issues with all the tires. I figured if I got a few seasons out of them I would be ahead of the game. I think a big thing is to make sure they are properly inflated. If they are low they tend to heat up and blow out. I towed the boat up to Lake George last year (4+ hours each way) and had no issues.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have had every tire made for my work trailer. Maxxis were the best...but then we went through a series of bad ones. Than Towmaster was a good one too. We now only run the GreMax tires with a great deal of success. I had never heard of them before my dealer recommended them. They wear really well and I now have them on the camper and the boat trailer too.