• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

time to replace the batteries, recommendations?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Twin group 31 Interstate agms is what I had my dealer install from the get go. Plently of power for my custom sound system and next years add ons which include a custom mini kegerator for portable 1 gallon kegs that I am building and 4 ballast pumps. AGMs are the most effecient and longest lasting batteries out there not to mention sealed. I labled them when I took them out for the winter so I can swap house and start for next season.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am very happy three seasons into using two Group 31 Diehard Platinum AGM batteries. It looks like they are no longer available. The closest battery currently available is the Odyssey PC2150 series. When I need to replace them I will likely go with a pair of Interstate 31M-AGM as Mainah suggests. But with the batteries protected by a low voltage disconnect and constantly charged by an on board charger I doubt that they will need to be replaced any time soon.

@Maniah, what are you planning to use cool your kegerator? I have a Dometic / Waeco fridge on my boat. Their 12 volt compressors are very efficient. My fridge consumes an average of around 1 amp.

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce 12 volt refrigeration compressors are expensive and air is not very effecient as a thermal conductor so I am going to pillage an office style water cooler and run off a inverter. Even with the inverter effeciency loss I am looking at a 100 watt draw on the batteries with an estimated 25% duty cycle at 90f ambient. The coil will be in an insulated vessel with a bit of water and the ss keg will be in the center of that. The coil to water to stainless thermal conductivity will be very effecient and fast. Going to use a paintball cyclinder for the co2 and run a small tap in the gunwale and insulte the tap line. The beauty is only have to turn it on when in the boat as I will bring a full cold keg or 2 to the boat each time.

My total cost will be about $150 not including the 1 gallon mini keg and co2 regulator.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Holy $$$$. Is that price from your boat dealer? You can also check out Sams club where they have a duracell group 31 agm for $180.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I've had good luck with interstate. Use them in all my trucks 7. Also have 4 group 29s and one standard in the boat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got these from the interstate store a few weeks ago. Most cca and Mca available in their standard group 24 batteries. About $130 each after sales tax of 10% but before the core charge is refunded. I couldn't bring myself to buy the optimas and assumed that interstate's equivalent would be just as much. At least these are brand name, unlike the ones that came with my boat. However, I used to replace my boat batteries every two years no matter what with Walmart branded batteries and never had an issue with them until their prices became comparable to brand name batteries. @txav8r suggested I return them for deep cycle batteries but I decided to stick with these, I like the specs/price plus when I told the sales rep about my use and that they at connected to a charger maintainer when ever the boat is not in the water he said I'd be fine with these. The deep cycles were th same price I believe.

image.jpg image.jpg

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you're leaning towards AGMs, Sams Club by me carries two Duracell Marine/RV AGM batteries. I don't need batteries yet but when I do I'll likely be going this route. I have Duracell batteries from Sams in my truck, tractor and lawn mower (all diesels) and haven't had a single issue in 4+ years

Group 34M
Part No: SL34MAGM
CA: 890 A
CCA: 775 A
Reserve Capacity: 120 AH
Warranty: 18 mo free replacement
Price: $119.88
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-sl34magm/prod3590225.ip?xid=plp3990113-auto:product:1:3

Group 31
Part No: 31DTMAGM
CA: 1000 A
CCA: 800 A
Reserve Capacity: 200 AH
Warranty: 18 mo free replacement
Price: $179.82
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/prod3590232.ip?xid=plp3990113-auto:product:1:1

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had no idea you could buy batteries at Amazon....I'd like to get video of the poor delivery person walking those to your porch!
Oh so true! These beasts are very heavy. But try to find 200 minute reserve capacity and 1110 cca is difficult to say the least. Optima's largest does not even compare. And RC is everything to me, since starting power is not an issue. But even when running these in parallel I still only get about 200 usable minute rated reserve capacity (using their posted 25 amp continuous draw at 80 degrees F, is 200 minutes, I actually get about 6-7 hours) since I'd never bring a battery down below about 55-60%. So doubling them up really only allowed me to use an entire batteries worth of juice.
The Interstates are a good battery, I just like that extra sauce when given the option. If 'Overbuilding' was a way to make a living, I'd be doing really well. Note the 1/0 welding cable connecting them. :)

Ric Moseley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet that touch screen is expensive. I would be taking it for a warranty claim ASAP. This is the first time I have heard of issues with one.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That solar panel is quite expensive for it's output. 8.3 watts is around 2/3rds of an amp. If it is well positioned it might produce that for four hours a day.

Your group 24 batteries are around a 60 amp hour capacity. If you were to discharge them to 50% two of those solar chargers would need 11 days to charge them to full capacity.

They may serve you well as a maintainer but if that is what you want I would look at sub $20 products.

Were you aware that your batteries are cranking batteries and not deep cycle. Our starters are small and place a small load on the battery. I use two deep cycle batteries so I can discharge them without causing damage.

Ric Moseley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If these lasted 2 summers then I will just plan to replace them that often. And with a solar trickle charger (even if only a few hours a day), it might extend the life. I don't have a power outlet by the boat is why I can't use the plug in ones.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what I meant by $20 products

5 Watt solid charger for car / boat batteries $21.55

1.8 Solar Battery Maintainer $16.47

If I wanted a meaningful charger I would look at something like this $80 40 watt flexible panel coupled with a dual battery charge controller like this one for $27. Or if space and budget allow you could have a pair of the panels and controllers. Each panel would produce around 12 Ah per day or 84 Ah per week. During the five weekdays one panel would be sufficient to fully charge your batteries if they were discharged to 50% over the weekend. I use a similar setup for the 100 Ah battery and stereo on my kids playground.