• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tire problem

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just noticed this strange damage on our boat trailer. These tires were installed 4/22/2012 but have very few miles on them. Lets say 10 trips a year * 30 miles round trip * seven years = 2,100 miles.

What the heck would cause this problem? It doesn't look like any kind of tire wear I've ever seen.

It's possible I ran over a curb at speed. Not sure. I vaguely remember hitting something, perhaps a pothole. This is the rear tire. The other three tires look fine.

These are Maxxis tires

Animals chewing on the tires perhaps? We have regular visits from deer, raccoon, fox, opossums, squirrel, cats, and skunk.

I'll have the tire replaced of course, and I'm going to put covers on them.

Any suggestions?

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cheap Chinese tires.
Discount tire says trailer tires are only good for 2 years.
I get 4-6 years out of my trailer tires.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just noticed this strange damage on our boat trailer. These tires were installed 4/22/2012 but have very few miles on them. Lets say 10 trips a year * 30 miles round trip * seven years = 2,100 miles.

What the heck would cause this problem? It doesn't look like any kind of tire wear I've ever seen.

It's possible I ran over a curb at speed. Not sure. I vaguely remember hitting something, perhaps a pothole. This is the rear tire. The other three tires look fine.

These are Maxxis tires

Animals chewing on the tires perhaps? We have regular visits from deer, raccoon, fox, opossums, squirrel, cats, and skunk.

Any suggestions?
That's strange damage every 2 ribs. Dried out?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

These are Maxxis tires

Any suggestions?
Unfortunately trailer tires need to be changed every 3-5 years and really 5 years is pushing it, regardless of mileage. In fact, infrequent use may speed up this kind of dry rot, when sitting.
Sun exposure is also very damaging.
Definitely need a new set, check the production dates on those, and I like to have them balanced. These are already radials, so stick with that.

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski is correct. 3-5 yrs on trailer tires. Especially if trailer is stored outside. Also look at DOTs last four numbers are week and year of production. You may have had them installed in 2012 but the tires could have a production date of a few years prior if they sat in the stores inventory. Rubber has a shelf life.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Replace them they are falling apart 5 years is pushing it on trailer tires.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
5 years is pushing it on any tire. I remember reading an article a while back about tires and age. Even unused old tires perform significantly less than the same exact tire that was just produced. IIRC the guy swapped the tires at a track and lost several seconds because the grip wasn't there anymore.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How tightly do you turn backing into your parking spot? Lots of abrasion on the outside edge there, and I'm wondering if that is from uneven loading (boat too far forward as we know Yamaha likes to do), and the rear tire being scuffed significantly on rough concrete/large gravel during the back in and parking process. Sharper turns with the tandem axle will do that, especially if the front tire is carrying more load than the rear. Combine that with age, and it looks like you separated the tread, then drove on it allowing the tread to be "flung" off where it was damaged.

Root cause.....old/dry rubber unable to handle the strain. Nothing you didn't know I'm sure.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not think of the effect sharp turns have on the tires when executing sharp turns while backing up...I always cringe when I see it, but I did not tie the missing chunk of tire at all. That is a very insightful observation! (DUH moment for me!)

It's nice the tire did not just blow up...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did not think of the effect sharp turns have on the tires when executing sharp turns while backing up.
Not just while backing up! I have a tight turning circle at the end of my street, and occasionally when I go down there someone is parked there on top of it. I am VERY aware of how much stress there is on the tires when making that turn, and try to swing as wide as possible whenever I do it! Next time you have to make a hard turn open your windows and listen....you'll be alarmed (if you aren't on loose sand or gravel). So its not just reverse....either direction puts serious pressure on the tires!

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How tightly do you turn backing into your parking spot? Lots of abrasion on the outside edge there, and I'm wondering if that is from uneven loading (boat too far forward as we know Yamaha likes to do), and the rear tire being scuffed significantly on rough concrete/large gravel during the back in and parking process. Sharper turns with the tandem axle will do that, especially if the front tire is carrying more load than the rear. Combine that with age, and it looks like you separated the tread, then drove on it allowing the tread to be "flung" off where it was damaged.

Root cause.....old/dry rubber unable to handle the strain. Nothing you didn't know I'm sure.
I only have 2-3" of clearance on both sides when backing into the side yard of the house. Also there are utility boxes in the way. So I can't do it with the tow vehicle. I use a boat pusher which runs at a very slow walking pace. As I turn the boat into the tight space I do have to push the tongue sideways as I back it in. The angle of adjustment is about 30 degrees.

If anyone is interested here is the boat mover in action.

It seems like a penalty to have to replace tires every 5 years. It makes me think I should buy the cheapest tires I can find. We never drive over 55 mph and our longest distance to the lakes is 20 miles. Most trips are only 9 miles. Maxxis tires were highly rated when I bought them.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm guessing you built that boat pusher yourself? Nicely done!
Not a terribly dramatic rotation into the side yard there, but it is some continuous wear on it from that practice.

I would say at this point it's just the age on the tires. Rubber doesn't do well over time. Looks like you are in a pretty dry environment (based on architecture and foliage anyway) and I'm sure that isn't helping the situation any. I would suggest moving to an LT tires instead of the traditional trailer tires next time. For as little as you tow, and the amount of sit time you have, I would suspect an LT tire will last you a little longer. No real science to back that up, just lots of annecdotal evidence over the years.

Wonder if anyone makes an airless tire in the size needed for trailers?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not a terribly dramatic rotation into the side yard there, but it is some continuous wear on it from that practice.

I would say at this point it's just the age on the tires. Rubber doesn't do well over time. Looks like you are in a pretty dry environment (based on architecture and foliage anyway) and I'm sure that isn't helping the situation any. I would suggest moving to an LT tires instead of the traditional trailer tires next time. For as little as you tow, and the amount of sit time you have, I would suspect an LT tire will last you a little longer. No real science to back that up, just lots of annecdotal evidence over the years.

LT tires in size 14" I think are kind of hard to find. Also, depending ont he tire design and rating the roll resistance can be a huge factor, but maybe not really critical for short tows.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LT tires in size 14" I think are kind of hard to find. Also, depending ont he tire design and rating the roll resistance can be a huge factor, but maybe not really critical for short tows.

--
Never considered rolling resistance in a trailer tire. I suppose it works like any other tire though and contributes to the overall work being done.

The 14in LT's are harder to find for sure.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never considered rolling resistance in a trailer tire. I suppose it works like any other tire though and contributes to the overall work being done.

The 14in LT's are harder to find for sure.
Some of the LT tires (like M/T) can be really knobby, I wouldn't worry too too much if trailering short distances, but if averaging several thousand miles a season as some of us here it certainly becomes a factor.
It may also be difficult to pull with that trailer puller, possibly, for example, I could push my 190 around the garage with ease sitting on radial (trailer) tires but not on bias ply which were more knobby.
Then again, if sitting around and not trailering long distance @jdonalds you may be actually better off with bias-ply tires? I don't know it for sure but I would look into it, basically tractor tires, which can last forever. IDK.

--

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Well I'd like to take credit for building the pusher but not so. The plans I bought on eBay. Then I purchased all the raw materials. I quickly realized I just didn't have the equipment needed to do the job so my friend did it for me. He spent two full days on it in his shop. Those photos can be seen here https://jdonalds.smugmug.com/Vehicles/Boats/Trailer-Pusher-Project/i-PPfhsHq. I finally paid him back by spending 50 hours putting together his Thompson Center Hawken ball and power rifle this year.

Yes we do live in extremely dry Redding CA which has about 8 to 10 weeks of over 100 degree temperatures in the summer. Humidity hovers around 10% for weeks at a time. I don't cover the tires but as a coincidence I ordered tire covers the morning of the day I later discovered the tire damage.

From everything people are saying I guess I'll just bite the bullet and put new tires on the boat trailer. I'll wait for spring though. Thanks for your inputs.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I got my SX230 2 years ago I put the cheapest radial tire I could find on it. was $40 each at wal-mart. I tow so little I'm sure their end will be rot, same as all my other trailer tires.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm...I got 8 years out of my last set of Carlies radials. And my battery is almost 10 years old.