• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Backup Camera

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know many of you can thread a needle with your trailer, however much to my chagrin, I seem to have not been born with that gene. Couple that with a PITA driveway that requires a steep angle entry and navigating some trees with little clearance, arriving at home is the worst part of my boating day.

I took a stab at a lightning deal on a wireless waterproof backup camera. It's rated to IP67 (1m for 30 minutes), and though I'm sure it'll probably be closer to 1.5m when putting in - I'm hoping thats enough - time will tell. Got the camera for $60, so not a huge loss if I bet wrong.

Links:
Camera
Video Extension
Power Extension

All the wiring is run in the trailer except for the last couple feet which is zip-tied on. Grabbed power from the Blue (+12V in reverse) and White (Ground). Screen and Receiver are one unit, and powered just by a cigarette lighter - turns on as soon as it receives a signal when shifting to reverse. Will live in my center console except when trailering. Works pretty well for as cheap as it is. Might pick up a slightly larger antenna just to reduce interference (which has been minimal so far).

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What did you use to tap into the existing trailer lines for power? I got some shitty things with my trailer guide lights that I didn't end up using and still have guides with lights that don't work.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just used T-Taps. Tapped in all the way up by the tongue, so should stay dry.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice setup.

I find when the backing up gets tricky, is easier to drive from outside the car. Give the wheel to trusted driver and direct from outside every steering wheel movement, while they vary from 0 to 2 mph, all on my command. Very stress free and big picture is upfront. Requires obeying driver. They don't have to be good, just do as they are told. Since they are going so slow, and you can see it all, it's easy and fast to fix any mistakes.

If the camera does not fix it, feel free to try my way once. Winding narrow driveways and obstacles are tricky, but you should be able to make it stress free. Practice will make it happen.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife usually guides me in, only thing that we need to work on is that yelling RIGHT! any louder doesn't make the boat swing faster :)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, guiding is the hard part. Driving is easy. Also a spotter without knowledge will give impossible commands... Very frustrating. I find it easier the other way around.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On yeah. I have them both lower the window and look at me via rear view mirror...I mime the wheel movement and have then stop and adjust... Total micromanage.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a quick update - this has been working flawlessly. No concerns with water (yet), transmits video even while submerged. Got into my driveway in one shot last outing, which I was never able to do before even with a rig that was at least 10' shorter.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just sold my tow vehicle with an always on dual wired camera system. I did not use it so I could see what is behind the boat while I was backing it into a spot. Mine were used mainly to help me hitch the trailer to the tow vehicle and for me to see what was behind the boat while I was trailering it. It worked great but now I’m looking for a replacement. So far I’ve considered wired and wireless units with dual displays built into the rear view mirror but I like what I’ve read so far about the system you bought @seanmclean . What is the longest you have had the camera on continuously? I’m concerned that the cameras will overheat after more than a few minutes like some older back up cameras I’ve tried. Hopefully the tech has improved a bit since. If I buy this system I would try t9 mount the transmitter to the bow stop, just under the winch. A little farther. Ack but also a little higher.

Backing my boat and trailer into their spot has always been and will always be a pita for me (at least as long as I don’t move to another house), so I’ve found that the best thing to do after returning from a fun but long and tiring boating trip is to park the rig out front and deal with it the next morning. If you really want to make backing in easier stop doing it and get a front mounted hitch instead. If you have another vehicle that you can put the hitch on, even better.

Check this out, two views of the same thing at different times. Prior to getting the front hitches i used to do it the traditional way and solo, early in the season it would take me up to 30 minutes and usually came with a headache and/or strained neck by the end of the season more like 3 minutes.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
man, that's tight!

I think the longest I've had it on for continuously is probably about 3 minutes. If I did it again I might mount the transmitter a little higher too, but interference hasn't been an issue. Get a little fuzz once in awhile, but does not drop.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check this out, two views of the same thing at different times. Prior to getting the front hitches i used to do it the traditional way and solo, early in the season it would take me up to 30 minutes and usually came with a headache and/or strained neck by the end of the season more like 3 minutes.
Holy crap Ronnie! Major props to you!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've wondered about a camera on the back of the trailer...not for reversing (but that would be an added benefit), but for driving on the highway and knowing what is behind and coming up behind you. So if anyone gets one that does well on all the time for extended drives, post it up!!

lilys

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I choose a wireless backup camera IP69K waterproof level.With new IP ratings, the backup camera devices are even more advantageous in environments requiring a high degree of protection from dust, submersion, and high-pressure, high-temperature spray-down.

JayZ2012

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For backing into a driveway etc, you could always suction cup mount a go-pro onto the back. Then use your phone to view the camera. It would give you a good wide angle viewing and would have plenty of battery life.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recently went from having a backup camera on the tow vehicle and one on the back of the boat trailer back to dark ages, having to use tow sticks and raising the lift gate to see them, glad my neck does hurt. I will be “fixing” this soon.
DE8E6864-D026-4FA7-A8DF-D974C04B05BB.jpeg36747687-2C79-4AEF-9210-BE3C357BD964.jpeg