• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Undercoat for freshwater slip??

Bman215

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
new member in the philly area. I have a 2018 yamaha ar240. Looking to get a freahwater slip for the season to avoid trailoring. Is it necessary to paint the bottom of the boat? Any other advice/tips for keeping the in water would be great...thanks!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely, positively, 100% - no.
It would dramatically decrease the re-sale value and give few benefits, on balance.
Just pull her out every now and then and use Startbrite Hull Cleaner - or anything else where oxalic acid is the key ingredient - and then a good coat of wax or cleaner wax.

If the boat is new, I would always give it a quality cleaner wax treatment BEFORE first launch. These gelcoat finishes these days are a bit dirty and very thirsty- from factory. You will cut the future maintenance work significantly by doing a good coat right away, before any growth occurs.

--

Bman215

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the help! Glad i asked as i was told to paint.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yah 100% don't paint it. Wet slipped last year, pulled it out end of year and used a Hull cleaner, came up good as new. Good suggestions @swatski

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As said by @swatski , use Starbright Hull Cleaner or similar product. The crap on the hull appears to "melt" right off even after 5mos. in the water and left on for 7 months of winter.
20170504_124001.jpg
20170504_125125.jpg
20170504_123943.jpg
I recommend using the larger screw cap non crappy spray bottle that leaked a lot onto the ground. Ended up pouring contents into a bucket with a little water and applied with a car washing brush connected to a hose. Easy to rinse by a turn of the valve. Be sure to rinse thoroughly from carpeted bunks and galvanized trailers. It helps to saturate the carpet before you apply the cleaner.

Last edited:

Mike Dumigan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome - where in the Philly area and where will you be boating?

Bman215

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Mike Dumigan i just got a slip at Neshaminy State Park Marina in Croyden. I’ll take it to sea isle city for some of the summer too. Love goin in the back bay down there

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wet slipping down south where the water gets warm results in dramatic algae growth and decreased performance. My old boat would drop from 50mph to 37/38mph when she was sitting for the whole summer. But as others have said, even with that kind of growth, it all cleaned off easily....here is before and after hull cleaner. I'd never bottom paint mine! That said, my boat is now on a floating lift as I don't like a dirty bottom! :)

dirtyboat.jpg

Bman215

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wont slip it in salt water. When i head to s. jersey i will keep it on a rack at the marina, which i’ve been told is better than a slip anyways. Last year i trailored and im not goin thru all that work again!