• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboard Laceration

David Hassell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone else get hit by the board wakeboarding... happened to my 12 year and scared the heck out of me..... I have been wakeboard for 20 years and never seen that before .... he is fine and ready to get back out there I just keep think wow that could have been much worse couple inches lower ....

Attachments

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have never heard of this, glad he is ok. My guess is us old guys don't have to worry about this as we are not that flexible (if that makes sense).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Happened to me several time's a few years back. That's one of the reasons I moved to a board without bindings.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yep seen this happen a couple times in years past. One was me on the chin, split to the bone. Those hard falls can fold you up in ways you never thought possible. Glad your kid is ok, scarier when stuff like this happens to the kids.

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch, I have never had a fall that bad before. Though last year a took a bad fall and busted my eardrum. Getting banged up is a part of it I guess.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a friend get 6 stitches to the back of his head from that a few years ago...

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah. My buddy got nailed on the first run. It was right on his hairline. Blood pouring down his face. We had no spotter and he still offered to pull me, but i declined! Covered a rag in blood.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Happened to me several time's a few years back. That's one of the reasons I moved to a board without bindings.
Like a wake skate? I've seen those bust out knees and balls! I won't jump at all with one. None of my friends will ride them hard anymore, but we're old now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like a wake skate? I've seen those bust out knees and balls! I won't jump at all with one. None of my friends will ride them hard anymore, but we're old now.
Yea, I ride a wakeskate now. No real jumps for me. Never had a boat big enough to make a decent wake to jump from on a regular basis anyway. I do surface spins, ollies, kickflips and things like that.....well.....let me rephrase that, I attempt those alot and occasionally land them :D :D

One of the things I don't get about a wakesurf or wake board setup. Usually have to run some ballast (definitely for surfing), and all that setup time to get it dialed in just right......then you just hang out and stand on the board?!?! Seems like a lot of work for not a lot of neat things to do. Could be because I'm not great at surfing, could be because I'm 6'2"-225 and surfing isn't a nimble enough sport for me.....who knows.

*edit*.....I'm 37 now, so not old, but I'm sure not the spring chicken I used to be. I totally get not riding much of anything as hard as I used to!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Seems like a lot of work for not a lot of neat things to do
There is something about surfing that is hard to pinpoint....but to do with just being behind the boat and going ropeless....then doing basic tricks, and not worrying about major injuries (for us old folks)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is something about surfing that is hard to pinpoint....but to do with just being behind the boat and going ropeless....then doing basic tricks, and not worrying about major injuries (for us old folks)
See maybe I'm missing something. I need to find someone else with a surf boat, and find a board that fits me better maybe.

Have friends two doors down that had a 22ft Axis (since traded for a 24ft Centurion), that let me try surfing behind their boat. I was up and standing first outing, and ropeless the second. I've surfed in the ocean before, and have a decade of wakeboard/skate riding behind me, so this was an easy transition. I think perhaps the board I was on was too small for my weight, because it was rather "dull" in terms of response to inputs, and once I was standing ropeless there wasn't much to do, but just hang out there in the pocket. I could swing up teh wave and back down, and the forward and back in the pocket, but no way was I going to get that board to spin under me.

Here's my first outing on their old Axis........Aside from quickly falling out of the pocket once I let go of the rope. Am I missing something?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BFwbGN7kVlhKqu6K2

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
See maybe I'm missing something. I need to find someone else with a surf boat, and find a board that fits me better maybe.

Have friends two doors down that had a 22ft Axis (since traded for a 24ft Centurion), that let me try surfing behind their boat. I was up and standing first outing, and ropeless the second. I've surfed in the ocean before, and have a decade of wakeboard/skate riding behind me, so this was an easy transition. I think perhaps the board I was on was too small for my weight, because it was rather "dull" in terms of response to inputs, and once I was standing ropeless there wasn't much to do, but just hang out there in the pocket. I could swing up teh wave and back down, and the forward and back in the pocket, but no way was I going to get that board to spin under me.

Here's my first outing on their old Axis........Aside from quickly falling out of the pocket once I let go of the rope. Am I missing something?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BFwbGN7kVlhKqu6K2
Yeah you suck! No you probably had to much weight on your back foot and it pulled you over the back of the wave. Wakesurfing is totally different than ocean surfing wakesurfing on a small Wave It's almost like you teeter totter back and forth if you go a little bit too heavy on your front foot you go too far in front of the wave barely back at pushes you right off the back of the wave . The sweet spot on a wakesurf wave is way smaller. I've been surfing for over 20 years. And trying to surf ropeless on a small wave is way more technical !

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, I ride a wakeskate now. No real jumps for me. Never had a boat big enough to make a decent wake to jump from on a regular basis anyway. I do surface spins, ollies, kickflips and things like that.....well.....let me rephrase that, I attempt those alot and occasionally land them :D :D

One of the things I don't get about a wakesurf or wake board setup. Usually have to run some ballast (definitely for surfing), and all that setup time to get it dialed in just right......then you just hang out and stand on the board?!?! Seems like a lot of work for not a lot of neat things to do. Could be because I'm not great at surfing, could be because I'm 6'2"-225 and surfing isn't a nimble enough sport for me.....who knows.

*edit*.....I'm 37 now, so not old, but I'm sure not the spring chicken I used to be. I totally get not riding much of anything as hard as I used to!
You don't need a big wake to have fun. Ill be 40 in July. I totally suck, but can clear a tiny wake nearly 100% on my heal edge and 50% on my toe edge. This is a light weight 19' Arriva with no tower. I haven't got to ride my ar230 yet! I've surfed on a malibu and it's awesome when it's too rough to wakeboard, but I'm on the river now and it's calm all day! The wake skate is boring for me, but i can't skate at all. I hate falling and trying new tricks, so i just do jumps and grabs until I'm tired.

20170917_111834.jpg 20170917_111746.jpg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back to OP's subject: have not seen a lot of cut faces / heads from wakeboarding.

I did hit my forehead very hard on the tip of a slalom ski mid-wipeout when I was 17ish. Did not break the skin but did leave me lightly concussed. Not sure how I managed to do it, exactly, but it was mid-pull so rope tension was max. Hurt like hell, too.

Might just be bad luck.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
043616E1-40B4-446F-A11F-CC140C2D4811.jpeg
Wakesurfing last weekend and went over the front of the board and it got me! 9 staples and a concussion I’m still trying to recover from.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Freak things can happen I fell once wake surfing, and the board edge hit me in the armpit area, so bad that I took myself to the Dr, making them X-ray, checking for a broken rib!

Turns out, I’m old, and don’t have the pain tolerance that I used to...

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
WOW! Glad your son is okay. He sounds like a real trooper. Don’t let him fool you though. Kids will feel the stress of the parents and just go to “I’m fine” mode.

I’m curious if anyone recommends helmets and what kind?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My 8 year old daughter got banged real hard on her cheek bone when her versa board submarined, then jumped out and smacked her in the face. It was during the initial pull and she had too much weight fwd. Pretty big bruise, but no laceration and thankfully cheekbone intact.