• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wet slip

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is there any problems with leavening a jet boat in the water.it is a fresh water lake.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've done it for years, but down south I quickly discovered that boats grow a lot more stuff on them than they do up north (cooler water). So now I have an airdock (see my signature for link to info on it) so I keep it in a slip but out of the water. This isn't a jet boat issue though....all boats will grow crap on them. My boat went from a top speed of 50mph with a clean hull to 37 with a full "fur coat of algae"....which means at every speed, I'm having to apply 30%+ more RPM to hold that speed....which means more GAS!

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've done it for years, but down south I quickly discovered that boats grow a lot more stuff on them than they do up north (cooler water). So now I have an airdock (see my signature for link to info on it) so I keep it in a slip but out of the water. This isn't a jet boat issue though....all boats will grow crap on them. My boat went from a top speed of 50mph with a clean hull to 37 with a full "fur coat of algae"....which means at every speed, I'm having to apply 30%+ more RPM to hold that speed....which means more GAS!
I second this.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone applied anti-fouling paint to their hull?

cep022

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had no issues for a single season I kept my boat in a freshwater lake other then the dirty hull. It did clean pretty easy though.
After one season I found a used Hydro Hoist lift. Now it's in the slip but floating on the lift.

Jade63

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My only issue is where my bumpers are rubbing on the boat and scratching it. Every weekend I jump into the river with my brush and clean the bottom of the boat. Its worth the investment...... well at least worth not having to stress at the launch.

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My only issue is where my bumpers are rubbing on the boat and scratching it. Every weekend I jump into the river with my brush and clean the bottom of the boat. Its worth the investment...... well at least worth not having to stress at the launch.
Thanks I will do that

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have no experience with fender covers like these, but others have said they eliminate the gelcoat scratching from fenders.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dockmate-Fender-Cover-Fits-8-x-20-8-5-x-27-Fenders&i=73336&r=view&from=grid&review=1#reviewsInfo

Another option:

http://www.amazon.com/Roll-Neck-Boat-Fender-Cover-8-1/dp/B004UFO0UW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1409758556&sr=8-12&keywords=boat+fender+cover

reference @Glassman 's post on this subject: https://jetboaters.net/threads/major-upgrade.3425/page-2#post-57706

Last edited:

Jade63

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to hijack this thread as it all pertains to a wet slip.... kinda.lol. I thought about using a fender cover, but feel the scratches dont come from the fender as much as from the dirt that gets on the boat. We get some good winds here at least once a week and it blows a butt load of dust everywhere. Im thinking about the next time I pull the boat out is to buff those areas out and put like a 12x18 sheet of clear vinyl over those spots. Black is so hard to keep looking good anyhow, this just adds to it lol.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I keep mine in a wet slip all season in Lake Tahoe. It does get some good scum on it, but it cleans up easily. Here's a few things I've learned:

I don't have continuous access to electricity on my dock (it's for temp use only) so I use a 15w solar charger that I mount on my tower to keep the house battery charged. Check out my threads on how his is set up.

When it comes time to clean the boat (my neighbor recommended this) get a can of wood bleach and dilute it into a plant sprayer. Spray it on the algae, wait about 5 minutes, then wipe off with a sponge. Rinse the boat and trailer really well when done. This takes what is a scrubbing nightmare down to a mere wipe it off measure. The diluted wood bleach will remove your wax, but hey, the boats been in the lake all season and needs wax anyway.

I also recommend the Yamaha trailer/storage cover over the cockpit and bow snap on covers. The reason being is this cover comes with a it pooling poles and it also completely covers the swim platform. The latter is key because without it the ducks and geese will use your platform as their own. I always get a chuckle out of seeing a guys 100k Malibu with good poop all over the swim platform.

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had no issues for a single season I kept my boat in a freshwater lake other then the dirty hull. It did clean pretty easy though.
After one season I found a used Hydro Hoist lift. Now it's in the slip but floating on the lift.
T
I keep mine in a wet slip all season in Lake Tahoe. It does get some good scum on it, but it cleans up easily. Here's a few things I've learned:

I don't have continuous access to electricity on my dock (it's for temp use only) so I use a 15w solar charger that I mount on my tower to keep the house battery charged. Check out my threads on how his is set up.

When it comes time to clean the boat (my neighbor recommended this) get a can of wood bleach and dilute it into a plant sprayer. Spray it on the algae, wait about 5 minutes, then wipe off with a sponge. Rinse the boat and trailer really well when done. This takes what is a scrubbing nightmare down to a mere wipe it off measure. The diluted wood bleach will remove your wax, but hey, the boats been in the lake all season and needs wax anyway.

I also recommend the Yamaha trailer/storage cover over the cockpit and bow snap on covers. The reason being is this cover comes with a it pooling poles and it also completely covers the swim platform. The latter is key because without it the ducks and geese will use your platform as their own. I always get a chuckle out of seeing a guys 100k Malibu with good poop all over the swim platform.
Thank you

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I agree with Matt on all points! I've done it for years with no issues. Solar charger..check! I've used various different hull cleaners at the end of the season but the hull always comes out looking like new...check! I also use the full cover in the slip...check! I laughed hard when you mentioned the ducks on the swim platform. I had a guy opposite me last season with 3 ducks that would do just that. Halfway through the season he had a plastic owl sitting on the swim platform!!! LOL The ducks were sitting right along side it!!!

Sugarsand gary

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I agree with Matt on all points! I've done it for years with no issues. Solar charger..check! I've used various different hull cleaners at the end of the season but the hull always comes out looking like new...check! I also use the full cover in the slip...check! I laughed hard when you mentioned the ducks on the swim platform. I had a guy opposite me last season with 3 ducks that would do just that. Halfway through the season he had a plastic owl sitting on the swim platform!!! LOL The ducks were sitting right along side it!!!
Thank you will do