• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

what things have you sucked up and found in your clean out

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The biggest PITA was a frisbee (it wedged in there really well).
  • Also lifted a 4x8 sheet of plywood off the bottom
  • Ski rope
  • sticks
  • A baseball sized rock <Editted: A "stone"> (in my old LX210)-we coasted over a rock pile, I shut down immediately-no damage, but man it make a hell of a noise!!! Scared the crap out of me!
Julian: Wherever you are using your boat, reading your post above, it must be scary as hell ! LOL !
==> This week's Sunday school lesson:
"Sticks and Stones and sheets of plywood won't break my bones, but they'll sure as hell screw up my Yamaha!"

Still laughing and wondering WHERE Julian chooses to boat ....... LOL !
ALL in fun, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Most noise I've ever heard while boating was a green pinecone that got sucked up. I thought everyone was going to una$$ the boat right that second. If they had I would have followed with out a doubt. It was about our third or fourth trip out in the boat.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WwwTE="Kevin M, post: 11939, member: 125"]On a trip up the Ohio river last June, the locks were so filled with shit, I was sucking something up every lock.
  • Plastic Bags
  • A rope, compliments of my brother-in-law while releasing from a lock.
  • Sticks, twigs, leaves
  • and a Condom
Ewww.... a condom???[/QUOTE]

They forgot to mention that they threw it overboard :)

I've sucked up rope, twine, grass, twigs, water bottle, water bottle cap (cause extreme cavitation), ice bags, trash bags, weeds, fishing line, and rocks.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Locks here are the same, filled with trash.
I love boating on the Ohio but because of that, I am limited on where I can go. It's very aggravating. That's the only part of a jet boat I don't care for.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sucked up a water bottle that was full and a few ski ropes.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
This past Sunday I was out and about in the Milwaukee Harbor/ River system and finally got to praise the genius that is the Clean Out Plug. Shortly after leaving The Horny Goat Hideaway way up the Kinnickinnick River I noticed the motor was idling pretty high(>1000 rpm), and had no power whenimage.jpg image.jpg giving a little throttle. I shut it down right away and coasted off to the side and had my deck hands hold me in place along the sea wall. I was able to dig out several decent size chunks of wood from the clean out port(single engine, AR192) an and had to open the reverse bucket and grab a heavy piece of plastic from the pump side. Everything ran smooth after that and got some great pictures on the way back to the launch at McKinley Marina.image.jpg

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lake is so low this season I'm guaranteed to do my part with milfoil shredding. I hate that stuff.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just my own ropes, two ski ropes, one dock line. Also a couple of very small pieces of driftwood. This over 5 years.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
For anyone that didn't catch it in the other thread, I was lucky enough to drive through a driving range!

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I pulled more than half of a 7/11 slumped cup though the clean out port when I got home from boating this weekend. It was a pita in that it kept tearing when I tried to get it out. Luckily it must have lodged there when I was recovery the boat because it didn't notice any performance degradation during the 60 mile return trip to the ramp. At least it wasn't a golf ball or fish (i.e. Hard remove or just gross/nasty to touch).

TxChristopher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I absolutely do not understand what some of you mean by "reverse flush out" and I think neither do you.

Oyster shells are the worst I have seen just one will wipe out a brand new impeller right away like in the picture above. We have a lot of garbage in the lakes/rivers/bayous around here so unfortunately it is pretty much every trip that I have to use the clean outs to remove something. Sad, but true.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I absolutely do not understand what some of you mean by "reverse flush out" and I think neither do you.

Oyster shells are the worst I have seen just one will wipe out a brand new impeller right away like in the picture above. We have a lot of garbage in the lakes/rivers/bayous around here so unfortunately it is pretty much every trip that I have to use the clean outs to remove something. Sad, but true.
@TxChristopher , you have an interesting way of illiciting a response. I skimmed the entire string but didn't see a comment regarding reverse flush out but given the context of the string I believe what you are referring to is a relatively unknown alternative process for clearing debris out of the pumps and intake grates. Basically you put the boat into reverse while the engines are running, get some speed going and shut the engines off. The theory being that the water will enter the rear of the pump and dislodge anything stuck in it or on the intake grate. I've only tried it once, it didn't work since the obstruction was floating vegetation some of which was 6 feet long and protruded from both ends of the pump but many swear by the practice so I'm sure it works in some instances.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.....Basically you put the boat into reverse while the engines are running, get some speed going and shut the engines off. The theory being that the water will enter the rear of the pump and dislodge anything stuck in it or on the intake grate. I've only tried it once, it didn't work ......

kungfu22.jpg

Ah, almost grasshopper, you left out one very important step.....

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull the lanyard to shut 'em down and push the throttles full forward to open the reverse gates... :winkingthumbsup"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ah, maybe that explains why it never worked for me. I will try and do it right the next time around as it is sometimes a much more appealing solution to getting in the water to dig obstructions out by hand.

The clean out ports could be better designed but I'm still thankful for them and wouldn't buy another jet boat without them. Too many days on the water have been cut short by debris in the pump of my other jet boats which usually required that the intake grate be removed with a special tool while the boat is on the trailer.

View attachment 11771

Ah, almost grasshopper, you left out one very important step.....

TxChristopher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I guess I see the "idea" even though it doesn't sound like it would be very effective as I doubt much water flow goes through there once the gates are returned to fully opened. Biggest problem I see with this is when something gets into my impellers I do not want it doing any more damage to my impellers so out come the plugs and in go the hands. Trying to build up speed in reverse still involves whatever it is getting a whole bunch more shots at my spinning impellers, so no thank you.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok I guess I see the "idea" even though it doesn't sound like it would be very effective as I doubt much water flow goes through there once the gates are returned to fully opened. Biggest problem I see with this is when something gets into my impellers I do not want it doing any more damage to my impellers so out come the plugs and in go the hands. Trying to build up speed in reverse still involves whatever it is getting a whole bunch more shots at my spinning impellers, so no thank you.
I see your point and it's very valid.

If you boat in an area that's loaded with grass or kelp you get used to the feeling, that specific vibration you feel when you suck that stuff up. You probably know what I mean.

Last time out I was cruising along at a pretty good clip...(OK I was WOT with the music blasting! and all of a sudden - WHAM - the port pump sucked in a small log!
I immediately shut 'er down :eek: