• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What tool kit do you keep onboard?

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am not looking to spend a fortune since they rarely get used with a Yami (knock on wood), however I would like something better than the hodgepodge of rusty tools I have now.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I bought a good supply of usable stuff and a bag. It fit the yammi well and didn't break the bank. I even went to the boat to grab a few things when I needed it! Here is what I bought. This Home Depot pack was cheap and served the purpose.
hand tools.jpg
The pliers are important and this set had exceptional capability and also not expensive.
pliers.jpg
A good screw driver is needed no matter what a kit has, and a 6 way is a driver I have more than one of.
screw driver.jpg
A filter wrench important if you use Yamaha filters, which I do. This socket works!
oil filter wrench2.JPG
A utility knife is very necessary to cut out any impeller ingestion you get in the way of rope. And a straight blade is good sometimes, but a hook blade is necessary many times.
hook blade utility knife.jpg
And the last pic I have is the emergency cooling line clamp. I just bought a wide throat irwin clamp that would serve to shut off flow to a non operating engine if needed. I actually put two on, because while not likely, you might find yourself stranded and in need of a tow with no engines running.
hand clamp.jpg
The bag was a ballistic nylon, with nylon zipper, that held all of this. It was about 12" long, 8" wide, and 10" tall. A great set up. All of this was in addition to the blue bag of tools that Yamaha gave you with the boat. I also had spare fuses, flush hose, weed eater line to clean out a pee hole.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I keep the tool kit that came with the boat, a pair of channel locks, two hose clamps, hose clamp pliers, spare plugs, a quart of oil, a Leatherman, a funnel, a Commando Wire Saw (recommended by others and I thought it a good idea), toilet paper, a roll of paper towels, and in one form or another lots of rope.

I also have a collapsible paddle/bow hook, not exactly a tool but used more than anything else I've listed. Having boated for 47 years I think every boat should have a bow hook and these are both practical and don't take up much space.

It is often way too tempting for people, especially inexperienced passengers, to use their hands to do things like fend off another boat, or push away on a dock. Often they end up getting hurt. The captain should have the paddle handy, extend it, and let the passengers use it instead. They are also handy for picking things up like hats, ropes, buoys, etc. The cutout in the paddle area provides a place to grip when using the boat hook when pulling a swimmer toward the boat. Finally my kids love using the paddle while playing on the tow tube while at anchor.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't even include all the other stuff I kept in other containers. Like @jdonalds , I had a commando saw for cutting driftwood when needed, the paddle/bow hook combo, oil, vinyl cleaner/conditioner, hot sauce, spare gas cap, spare transom plug, spare kwik Lok fender keepers, spare rope, 2 extra spring lines, paper towels, toilet paper, cups, utensils, plates, waterproof container with matches, and all the sunscreens/aloevera/bug spray, even a snake bite kit. I am forgetting about 50% of it all. @DawgDaze , take inventory!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a tool kit much like those in the links above. And then again I have a bunch of individual specialty tools similar to what Mel posted.

One thing they all have in common?

A nice light coating of Boeshield T-9.

Nothing worse than needing a tool and finding that it is rusted shut and useless!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a tool kit much like those in the links above. And then again I have a bunch of individual specialty tools similar to what Mel posted.

One thing they all have in common?

A nice light coating of Boeshield T-9.

Nothing worse than needing a tool and finding that it is rusted shut and useless!
I was just wondering that @Glassman. You would think the posted kit from West Marine and the mariner's kit from Amazon would be stainless rather than carbon steel or chrome plated. How often do you need to T9 your tools?

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't even include all the other stuff I kept in other containers. Like @jdonalds , I had a commando saw for cutting driftwood when needed, the paddle/bow hook combo, oil, vinyl cleaner/conditioner, hot sauce, spare gas cap, spare transom plug, spare kwik Lok fender keepers, spare rope, 2 extra spring lines, paper towels, toilet paper, cups, utensils, plates, waterproof container with matches, and all the sunscreens/aloevera/bug spray, even a snake bite kit. I am forgetting about 50% of it all. @DawgDaze , take inventory!
LMAO I KNEW that was coming. I bet I haven't put my hands on HALF of the necessity equipment in the dawg yet!
It's a must to have on the
Boat that's for sure. I was going to try to hook up to her today and bring her home to just uncover her for a few hours but it's so damn windy here today I won't do it. After our Seattle trip we are taking her out for a cruise .

Last edited:

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the ideas everyone. @jdonalds I like the boat hook/paddle with a handle.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian this thread is shaping up to be sticky worthy. Critical inventory list of items to keep on board.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the soft side roll out tool bag and filled it with the basics, I love it because I can roll out the bag on the swim deck and grab what I need. Takes up a smaller space than the hard side kits

P.s. a box cutter knife comes in surprisingly handy

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It sounds like people don't necessarily get stainless tools, which would probably be quite expensive. Do your tools rust? One person said they coated the tools in Boeshield.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I keep my tools in a ballistic nylon bag and have not had any issues of rusting. But my boat isn't stored outside or put away wet without airing out. If it is wet, everything wet is removed, compartments let open, and covered again when dry. I haven't coated the tools, and the only rust I have had is in the metal spring/rachet in my clamps (cooling hose).