• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do to this Hull?

What would you do to fix this hull?

• Get a Fiberglass Pro to fix it?

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Fix it yourself, and put a Keel Guard on?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Just put a Keel Guard on (don't worry about fixing it)?

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Do nothing (I am wet slipping it so keep that in mind)?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I did a cleaning of the "new to me boat" this past weekend, and what I found was some of the gelcoat and finish rubbed off the keel (mostly starboard side - which makes sense since that is the Captain's side). The prior owner had the boat on a lift - so I am thinking its been there for a while.
Clearly demonstrating that just as we all know . . . #1) the Yamaha boats are great for beaching. #2) Keel Guard would have been helpful (other please use this picture as evidence you need to buy some things for the boat).

The damage doesn't look to bad. . . but the question remains what to do, and if I can run the boat safely with low risk as is, or do we need to do something about it before wet slipping it for the season.

What is the advice of the group?

Attachments

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If money isn't an issue I'd have a professional fix it, I'd at least get a quote to make that determination. If money is an issue then I'd fix it myself. Of course either way I'd put a keel guard on afterwards. Definitely wouldn't leave it like that though.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
definitely don't wet slip it like that,

push on the areas to make sure there's no soft spots, if no soft spots you may just put a coat of marinetex on it since it will be covered by a keel guard,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You should never put exposed fiberglass into the water, the risk is that if the fibers are well sealed they will absorb water.

As the others have said, the answer depends on your money and time. Personally I'd seal it myself and then put a keel guard over it. This is the busiest time of year for boat maintenance people, so if you want to get a pro to do it, you will likely have to get in line (for a good one)....I'd be wary of anyone who was free to do it right now....

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Though I am a do it yourself as much as possible, with that amount of fiberglass exposed, I would not want to just try to seal it and cover it up. If any moisture has gotten into it I would want to make sure it was done right and not a bandaid fix! For sure, after the repair, invest in Keel Guard! I guess bottom line is how much you have invested in it and how long toy plan to keep it,

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is through the gelcoat and a significant issue.

I would get professional opinions on any damage to the fiberglass from water intrusion.

If the fiberglass is dry and not damaged then marine epoxy could be used to seal the area before keel guard installation.

If the fiberglass is damaged then it will need to be removed and replaced.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone . . . really appreciate the advice. When I was young I did some fiberglass work with my Dad - who was kind of a DIY guy, but I called a few places/or rather interviewed a few places, talked through their approaches to it, and took it to the pros. I didn't want them to put the keel guard on - I will do that myself ( a nice 10'er), and I wanted to see their finished work. The fortunate thing is the fiberglass looks intact, hard and solid, so the repair isn't too bad. I bought the boat for a relatively good price . . . so I expected some work/investment to do. This is a great board and community . . . between the FAQs, the forum topics and responsiveness to questions . . . its just awesome.

Last edited:

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
got a link to a keel guard? My keel has similar trouble.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a thread on my boat, second outing and "softly beached" in an area I am 100% positive there was no rocks.. just sand.. had about 4 inches of what looks like above. (last summer).

Fast forward, my buddy just got a brand new 2020 242 Limited SE and his very first outing I help him launch the boat, on the way from trailer to boat we noticed his trailer had something white on it. Sure enough it was a 1 inch piece of gelcoat that literally peeled off and was almost stuck to the carpet.

I am convinced that there is a manufacturer issue with their gelcoats in the last few years. something just isn't right. I've had boats for 25 years and never have I ever seen gelcoat problems like this. Old key west boat was beached daily for years and never experienced something like this. Now a brand new boat as a piece literally peel off and the issue I had to deal with makes me believe things aren't the same.

thoughts?

mike