• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do? <what boat to buy>

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, the correct answer was pretty obvious. Using my petty cash to pay off my higher interest discover card and financing the boat.

Got the loan approved already through USAA pending collateral value, which shouldn't be an issue. The boat I'm looking at ironically enough still has a lien held by them anyway.

Question for the more educated in the finance world - is it worth it to get a second quote on the loan? I was gonna try lightstream as well, but didn't want all kinds of inquiries showing up on my credit. It would actually be the 3rd time in a week since I also got approved for a new Yammy last week, but god only knows if that was shotgunned out to 15 different banks also, as I know dealers love to do.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If you were approved by yamaha, at a yamaha dealer I would not think they shotgunned you credit out, they tend to do that when the main lender denied an applicant. I still would not want many more than the inquiries you have now, with that said your rate will depend on the year of the boat, and your score. And boat rates are always higher than most anything else you would finance, most mainstream boat lenders have close to the same rated, if you feel the rate is to high you can contact another lender and they will tell you their rates for the different credit tiers without another inquiry.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm gonna choke someone.

Called USAA this morning to give them the details on the boat. They won't finance it. It's not a boat, it's a PWC. Are you freaking kidding me? Oh, but they'd be glad to give me a personal loan at 17.99%.

brb, gonna go buy a canoe.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm gonna choke someone.

Called USAA this morning to give them the details on the boat. They won't finance it. It's not a boat, it's a PWC. Are you freaking kidding me? Oh, but they'd be glad to give me a personal loan at 17.99%.

brb, gonna go buy a canoe.
If you're looking at USAA, then it would stand to reason you might be prior military. If that is the case I would highly recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union. They also service non-military federal employees too. I used them for vehicle financing and they were EXCELLENT. I almost used them for a mortgage when we were considering a move recently, but we decided to stay put and cancelled the application after being pre-approved by them. They were fantastic through the entire process both the times I worked with them.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Wait!!! Am I missing something??? Didn't you say above that USAA already held a lien on the "boat" you were looking to buy??? If they don't finance PWC'S how do they hold a lien on it?? Sounds like you need to talk to someone there who knows what the hell they are talking about...I'M JUST SAYIN!!! :winkingthumbsup"

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went through USAA as well (love them) but I had to explain every detail to the person, at first he thoght I just wanted to insure a Yamaha Engine, then the jet drive threw him off, that's when he thought I was talking about a PWC as well. Yep, it's a 23 foot PWC....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....a 7 seater personal watercraft! I had the same issue 11 years ago when I bought my first jet boat - an LX210....just a LS2000 with more storage doors and a swim platform - State Farm thought it was a PWC....but they relented.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you're looking at USAA, then it would stand to reason you might be prior military. If that is the case I would highly recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union. They also service non-military federal employees too. I used them for vehicle financing and they were EXCELLENT. I almost used them for a mortgage when we were considering a move recently, but we decided to stay put and cancelled the application after being pre-approved by them. They were fantastic through the entire process both the times I worked with them.
X2 www.penfed.org

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hah. Ok, so after I calmed down a bit I called back this afternoon. After being placed on hold 3 different times to talk with 2 other people, they finally figured out I'm not buying an 8 passenger PWC. :screwy:

So, this evening shook hands on a deal for a 2007 Challenger 180SE with only 47 hours. Should be on the water by the weekend, thanks everyone!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All I got so far. Will post a new thread once she's in my driveway!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My experience is every time I settle for something I'm disappointed down the road. Do it right the first time.
Truer words were never written. You only get a few chances in Life ........ Don't Waste them. Regrets is a terrible place to visit !

Good Luck in your choice. I applaud you for opening up and asking for advice.. More people would be happier, we feel, many times, if they did what you just did more often !
Can't wait to learn what your final choice is !

Playing in 84 degree SUNNY weather (OK ...... I AM bragggin' ! ....... LOL !) - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA