• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which is more important fogging or flushing with antfreeze.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been doing it for years and it seems to be fine. My intakes don't look gummed up. My boy is old enough to hold up the funnel and dump the antifreeze into it which is connected to a hose connected to the flush port. It takes about 30 to 40 seconds for a half gallon and I fog all the engine through the intakes during that time. Super easy. I also pinch off the flow from the pump grate to prevent antifreeze from just going back out that pump grate.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've been doing it for years and it seems to be fine. My intakes don't look gummed up. My boy is old enough to hold up the funnel and dump the antifreeze into it which is connected to a hose connected to the flush port. It takes about 30 to 40 seconds for a half gallon and I fog all the engine through the intakes during that time. Super easy. I also pinch off the flow from the pump grate to prevent antifreeze from just going back out that pump grate.
They say its self draining but water sits in the water lines none of mine have ever cracked from freezing after doing work on the boat and taking it apart the water lines and exhaust had a decent amount of water that came out . The engine block probably drains but if some water hangs up it could create an issue. I will be doing what jetboate-4life recommends dumping in some anti freeze . For new boats with ballast my son has made a jumper cable that you can plug into the pumps turn them on and suck up some antifreeze then reverse the polarity and pump it back out they will be posted in the classifieds shortly

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you guys using RV antifreeze (Pink stuff)?

Of all the Yamaha engines I have winterized, and Summarized (snowmobile engines) fogging was not as high on the list once we went fourstroke. On two stroke sleds and waverunners, you blew the fogger into the intake until it stalled the engine. On a 4-cylinder four stroke, it was nearly impossible to stall it with 4 intakes. So we ended up pulling plugs and fogging, or just stopped fogging.

With this being the first time with this boat, I plan on doing the oil changes prior to stabilizing the gas, so the fresh oil can circulate as well as the stabilizer on the last outings. Then antifreeze the engines and fog the cylinders. Probably silicone spray the entire engine bay, pumps and pull the clean out plugs and spray them as well.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And after you blow them out? Come back in a few hours and do it again, because you didn't get it all the first time as you will see. Guaranteed. Make it a two step (I do three) process to make sure you get it all out. And no, you have no need for the hose hook up an any of these water blow outs 1) because it defeats the purpose and 2) the engines aren't running long enough to do any harm.
The waterboxes are large and rounded....any water in them has nothing to build up pressure against, so that 1/2 inch of water on the bottom will freeze and slide up the sides....no harm. My boats were stored in unheated barns in WI and never saw a drop of anti freeze with no ill effects. Anti freeze is a waste of time and money (with the exception of those with closed loop cooling systems). Also, Yamaha doesn't recommend it....that is good enough for me. Save the time....and use the money to buy a beer and think about next year's boating season....or buy some mods!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with @Julian about the water box.

Regarding fogging... BY FAR the most common problem with an MR1 sitting for a long period of time is rust forming on the valve stems and then valves sticking inside the valve guides. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to coat the valves inside the guides unless you want to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, and then spray WD-40 up the guides. IMHO fogging won't hurt, but really won't do much for you.

The best thing you can do is make sure there is as little amount of water as possible in the water boxes to prevent moisture from making its way back into the exhaust valve guides.

-Greg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's a thought, tell me it this is a bad idea or not. What if you used an inflator to blow air through the flushing ports? I suspect it wouldn't create enough pressure to cause issues and should move enough air to evacuate some of not most of the water in the system.

Bad idea, good idea? What say yall?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is no benefit to flushing with antifreeze.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a thought, tell me it this is a bad idea or not. What if you used an inflator to blow air through the flushing ports? I suspect it wouldn't create enough pressure to cause issues and should move enough air to evacuate some of not most of the water in the system.

Bad idea, good idea? What say yall?
hadn't thought of that before, if you did it with a stock set up I think most of your pressurized air would go out the intake screen on the jet,

if you had flushing valves at the "y" or hooked your air hose up at the Y then all your air would go to the engine and again, water in the muffler isn't a big deal,

When you have members in Canada that for 10 years have just revved the engine and then let it sit all winter I just do think you need to worry about water freezing in your engine,

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's good enough for me. I will be using that process with this boat. This will be our first year with the Yamaha, so I wanted to be sure. It always surprises me the places that water comes out of after the boat sits for any time.

And we get cold around these parts. There is no question whatever is in there will freeze hard.