• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why is it illegal to sit in the transom seats underway in a jet boat?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It occurred to me today when I saw this picture that it's kind of ridiculous that it is illegal to sit in the back seats while underway. Especially when doing water sports. You are FAR more likely to get tossed from a ski, many of which will do 70mph. If it was just a matter of having a handle, that's easy enough to do. I wish they would make the law a little more specific to outboards, I/O's and children under 18 or 21.

1582560125397.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can ride on the back of a motorcycle but not a truck.
Same premise is what I've always thought for the ski vs boat.

Get thrown from a ski = hit water
Get thrown from the boat = might hit boat on the way out to hitting water

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't think that would be an issue when you are underway.
At speed its not an issue but slow speed with a little tail wind can be quite toxic back there. It's just another big brother babysitting deal....must protect the common sense challenged peeps.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't think that would be an issue when you are underway.
I am interested in how that is spelled out in the USCG rules and regs.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It occurred to me today when I saw this picture that it's kind of ridiculous that it is illegal to sit in the back seats while underway. Especially when doing water sports. You are FAR more likely to get tossed from a ski, many of which will do 70mph. If it was just a matter of having a handle, that's easy enough to do. I wish they would make the law a little more specific to outboards, I/O's and children under 18 or 21.
It's not a USCG law or rule, primarily because the USCG doesn't make laws; they just enforce laws. With that being said most laws regarding this topic originate with the state more than federal. A lot of the state regulations are changing to reflect modern boat layouts, I've seen changes to the "No Bow Riding" laws that allow for bow riding on boats equipped to handle passengers in the bow. Other states still have laws on the books that make bow riding illegal, period. The fact that there are handles and seats on the stern of our boats does allow the argument to be made about where exactly the passenger area ends.
You can ride on the back of a motorcycle but not a truck.
Not exactly the same in my mind; but either way, it is my understanding you can ride in the back of a pickup in most states if there is a proper seat and seatbelts installed back there.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I was going to say, I have allowed adults to ride on the transom many times without any issues from law enforcement; but it may be ignorance on my part. Believe it or not, it is the smoothest ride our boats are capable of, when in choppy water. When it comes to kiddos, never on the bow or stern while on my boat, always with life jackets and adults in the cockpit. Just my two cents.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ignorant question here, as I've never wake surfed and only watched videos. How close are you to the boat? Would the same concern apply or are you further back than the videos appear?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sometimes the exhaust smell is strong behind my boat (ar240). Of course with a better wave and deeper sweet spot you can get far enough back that it’s not an issue.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The reason for not allowing riders to sit outside the boat on the transom is all about carbon Monoxide poisoning. This wouldn't happen on a jet ski as there is no structure to cause a draft to hold the exhaust fumes behind the ski.

On a boat the drafting effect can and does happen all the time (also called the station wagon effect). Sure we could say its about babysitting the common sense challenged, but in reality, many people are clueless that this issue even exists! And the deadly parts are: 1) CO is oderless 2) when you are on the back, you typically pass out and fall in the water and drown if you don't have a lifejacket on 3) CO takes a while to be displaced....so even if you get to the person, they still might not be able to be saved.

So this is no laughing matter. Sitting low and on the stern is dangerous, especially if the boat is moving slowly.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have been warning people about this ,some states have already outlawed wake surfing, Australia has made it illegal .

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No laws here in Alabama against riding in the back of a truck. :)
Thank god there are still a few states left that don't think you need a big nanny Gov to tell you how to live. If I want to do something stupid, damnit let me do it. Ether everything goes fine, I learn a valuable lesson, or there is one less stupid human breeding.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The reason for not allowing riders to sit outside the boat on the transom is all about carbon Monoxide poisoning. This wouldn't happen on a jet ski as there is no structure to cause a draft to hold the exhaust fumes behind the ski.

On a boat the drafting effect can and does happen all the time. Sure we could say its about babysitting the common sense challenged, but in reality, many people are clueless that this issue even exists! And the deadly parts are: 1) CO is oderless 2) when you are on the back, you typically pass out and fall in the water and drown if you don't have a lifejacket on 3) CO takes a while to be displaced....so even if you get to the person, they still might not be able to be saved.

So this is no laughing matter. Sitting low and on the stern is dangerous, especially if the boat is moving slowly.

This is a good explanation. Agree wholeheartedly.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank god there are still a few states left that don't think you need a big nanny Gov to tell you how to live. If I want to do something stupid, damnit let me do it. Ether everything goes fine, I learn a valuable lesson, or there is one less stupid human breeding.
Or you end up in the ER, cost hundreds of thousands to keep alive, then ship you off to a nursing home and all of that forces all of our insurance rates up. So its not just about being a nanny state, its about saving all of us money. Money is of course the root of all evil....including government regulation! :winkingthumbsup"