• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

YAMAHA 2013 242S SALES PRICE WITH DRYROT TOWER SPEAKERS/PITTING ON TOWER

rushbmc101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2013 Yamaha 242 limited s. The sales price is $44000. The boat does not come with a trailer. I dont need one as the boat will stay on my dock year round. A couple of issues that will need attention/replacement are dry rot in the tower speakers and some pitting on the black powdered tower. Some of the other interior speakers may have dry rot too, I will find that out later today.
With everyones experience on here what would be the cost to replace the speakers/sound system and are there solutions to the pitting on the tower. Will this get detrimentally worse if untreated? I have researched the cost of replacing the tower is $7000 upwards so don't want to do that!!
With these issues in mind what do people think of the $44k price tag and how much of a discount if any do you think I can negotiate?

I'm stunned by the pricing of these boats at this point. That is a good price with today's marketScreenshot_20220108-094740_Chrome.jpg
Speakers are cheap to replace. The tower pitting is more concerning. I assume you are somewhere with salt water? I'd be in the bilge looking for rust and broken clamps in there. Still not a deal breaker....but gives you leverage. Get the engines compression tested, and ensure they have good cooling flow. I'd have a dealer/mechanic detach the exhaust to check the cooling passages for salt,sand etc.

No I'm in the midwest, Lake of the Ozarks and I'm quite sure the boat has been in the midwest all its life. Is there a way to find that out for sure through the HIN? Thanks for your reply.

When I first read your post, I was sure that $44k was overpriced and was going to suggest you check out Nada. @Julian did that for you and I’m as stunned as he is. But that’s the market and who knows whether it’s a blip or not.

in terms of the speakers, if they’re original, the quality was not great and it really depends on what you want to spend. Best brands out there from everything I’ve learned on this forum are Wetsounds and JL Audio.

On the tower, I would certainly try and repair before replacing. I would think you can sand and apply some rust paint and/or maybe find a place that does powder coating.

I’m curious, what happened to the trailer? I believe the trailer came with the boat in 2013.

Not trying to hijack this thread but @Julian I'm blown away at the prices of these used boats as well!!! Good Lord! I have 2014 242LS and that's more than I bought mine for back then!! Sweet Baby Jesus this world is upside down right now ?.

@rushbmc101, Good luck on the inspection and compression test...you may have a great deal on a boat. but dont be afraid to walk away if it doesn't feel right. With the dry rot, it sounds like this boat has been outside and not covered well. Check the cushions. Check throttle cables and steering cables for free movement and full travel. Pull the dip sticks and check the oil color(gold is best milky is bad meaning water has gotten in). battery dates and terminal conditions. Are they on a tender/conditioner this time of year? Check all the systems possible, blower, fresh water shower, nav lights, Check for the nav light pole(white light) and make sure it works and they still have it. The horn, look for missing screws, rust on bolts, hinges, pull all cushions up and feel around the storage areas for soft spots, look in lockers, helm closet. Open the engine compartment and look at everything. Clasps, hose conditions. When was oil changed? When where the spark plugs changed and by who, list of any maintenance done and by who. When was it last in the water, how often do they use it?

Just a few things to get you started. Good luck

No I'm in the midwest, Lake of the Ozarks and I'm quite sure the boat has been in the midwest all its life. Is there a way to find that out for sure through the HIN? Thanks for your reply.
If the owner has had it at a dealer they might be able to tell you the maintenance and repair history....which may also include WHERE the work was done.... I've not attempted this....so they might say "no"

I'm stunned by the pricing of these boats at this point. That is a good price with today's marketView attachment 169424
Speakers are cheap to replace. The tower pitting is more concerning. I assume you are somewhere with salt water? I'd be in the bilge looking for rust and broken clamps in there. Still not a deal breaker....but gives you leverage. Get the engines compression tested, and ensure they have good cooling flow. I'd have a dealer/mechanic detach the exhaust to check the cooling passages for salt,sand etc.
Wait a minute—doesn’t the nada value already factor in the cost of the trailer? If so, not having the trailer would drop these listings. Still might be a good deal but nothing really changed on the 240 series from 10-14, so unless the OP really likes the forward swept tower a better deal might be had with an older boat.

Back