• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 242 Audible Tone

Mustang1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Have an issues that just started when I turn on the battery to start the engine the audible noise comes on instantly. The keys are not in the on position, before I would turn on the battery and turn on the keys then start it and it would beep continuously for about 1-2 seconds and then go off. There are no warning lights, the boat ran great water coming out the side, checked oil, checked voltage, stereo worked. Not sure what the cause is.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What year/model?

Mustang1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I am going to look into the Depth Alarm tonight and when I setup up my account it did not have an option for 24' boat

Last edited:

Rtwill725

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you notice what the house battery voltage was before you start the motors? If we drain the house battery listening to the radio it will alarm and stop shortly after one or both motors are started.

Last edited:

Mustang1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
When I first noticed it I just turned on the battery and it alarmed when it was in the drive way. So I hooked up a smart charger to each battery to charge them. The voltage regulator had a red light on so that is why I charged the battery. Two weeks prior I hooked up a 300 watt powered sub off of the starter battery with an Inline resetable fuse. I did not go through the electric ststem battery switches that are on the inner wall, I came directly off the battery and it ran all day no issues. Voltage is 13v dc. When I'm done running I just press a button on the inline fuse and it shuts off the amp. I am moving the amp to the accessory battery tonight.

Mustang1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I took the boat out covered the sonalert to muffle the sound and did all the checks, no warning lights and boat ran good all day, voltage was 13.4V DC

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Is it a constant buzzing sound?

Mustang1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes it is, turn on the starter battery and it is a continuous sound

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yes it is, turn on the starter battery and it is a continuous sound
Mine has been there since I bought the boat. Dealer spent some significant time trying to diagnose but could not find the root cause.

B_Mutter

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
It is an ECM problem. A circuit has shorted internally. We had a boat this spring with the exact same problem. Unfortunately a new ECM is the only fix.

Mustang1975

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So soon as you turn the starter battery on yours the sonalert has a continuous beep.
I'm going to do a few checks on mine, but something is passing 12 volts continuously.
all my stereo equipment is hooked up directly to the battery with inline resettable fuses.
It is an ECM problem. A circuit has shorted internally. We had a boat this spring with the exact same problem. Unfortunately a new ECM is the only fix.
is it safe to drive for the rest of the season and estimated cost to repair by any chance would you have that? It won't find the last time I took it out

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Do you work for a dealer? How did you diagnose? I will tell my dealer but they will need some background.

Thanks!

B_Mutter

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yes we are a dealer. We did what we do with any manufacturer when we have a weird problem.. called their Tech line. Those guys see/hear more problems than anyone. The boat we had an issue on was a single engine, I would imagine on your twin if they took the positive wires off of the battery switch and isolated the engines only one of them will be the issue. They could switch the ecm from the other engine and the problem should follow the bad ecm.