• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Connext manufacturer? Possible to jailbreak?

skeeeee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice to hear they have upgrades coming. Im guessing they rushed it to production to meet deadlines and went with the most stable platform they had engineered. Im hoping they will make it downloadable and upgraded right through the usb connection up front.

Last edited:

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any GPS integration updates?

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That was the rumor was gps add on soon..but it wont be coming and they didnt leave much dash space to add an aftermarket gps.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The connext system IMO is a joke, I feel it's been designed in a rush by high school kids with last decades technology.
The screen has as much definition as an ATM machine and the ergonomics are laughable. Yamaha should of really put more thought into the system, it is a very low end, budget accessory.

Bryan L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any updates on the connext gps plotter? Yammi slacking in this sense. Surely it can be added to the touchscreen.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think there are 1 or 2 other threads asking the same thing. The short answer is highly unlikely for the current model. As far as a "jailbreak" sure just about anything is hackable but at what time expense and once done are there enough hardware resources left over in the unit to handle charplooting backend computations, rendering, memory requirements, etc? I have already built something to read the connext IO and decided not worth my time to do anymore from what I saw.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thanks @Mainah. I wanted to ask just because I was hearing news on threads here that there was a rumor that Yamaha was going to release it after their licensing dispute with Garmin was over. But guess just street talk.

mahmoud

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha 242 limited S connext multi function display gives the logo and doesn't work . any help

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Take it to an authorized dealer for repair. They can try and reflash it but if that does not work it will need replaced.

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think there are 1 or 2 other threads asking the same thing. The short answer is highly unlikely for the current model. As far as a "jailbreak" sure just about anything is hackable but at what time expense and once done are there enough hardware resources left over in the unit to handle charplooting backend computations, rendering, memory requirements, etc? I have already built something to read the connext IO and decided not worth my time to do anymore from what I saw.
I'm interested in what you built to read the connext IO. I have installed a fusion head unit and looking at "tricking" the Connext to think that the Polk is still there so that the stereo comm error doesn't show up. I am considering splicing a NMEA2000 cable into it to try to connect Connext to RADCAN high/low, but I doubt that even if they're on the same voltages etc that the messaging would have been N2K compliant. So, I'm left with either leaving Polk there or tricking connext. I might light to program something as a translator so that the Connext and associated joystick/buttons can still control the stereo volume of the now-fusion head unit. Re: 2015 LTD S

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm interested in what you built to read the connext IO. I have installed a fusion head unit and looking at "tricking" the Connext to think that the Polk is still there so that the stereo comm error doesn't show up. I am considering splicing a NMEA2000 cable into it to try to connect Connext to RADCAN high/low, but I doubt that even if they're on the same voltages etc that the messaging would have been N2K compliant. So, I'm left with either leaving Polk there or tricking connext. I might light to program something as a translator so that the Connext and associated joystick/buttons can still control the stereo volume of the now-fusion head unit. Re: 2015 LTD S
He isn't on the forum anymore. Anyways good luck, we have been waiting for someone to figure it out!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He isn't on the forum anymore. Anyways good luck, we have been waiting for someone to figure it out!
Unless he left in the last 10 days, he is still here at times:
IMG_4264.png

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
More of a lurker these days but still around and life is good. The issue with the radio to connext is that the jdab (asa electronics propricanbus protocol) is translated in some manner before reaching the connext screen. If it was n2k there likely would not be an issue.

What I did years ago was just read the n2k traffic in order to learn how to control the rotary encoded joystick which is n2k. I stopped there, abandoned the efforts as did not get me where I wanted to be, and have not revisited.

I am happy with my audio setup which includes a dsp and three amps behind the stock polk. I control main volume with the rotary knob (I really like this as the interface for volume) and use my watch to skip through my playlists as desired. I also have a dual function knob on the dsp to adjust tower and sub volume (limited by main volume). I recommend considering something similar instead of burning too much time on the wonky multi protocol canbus system in 1st gen connext boats.