• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Extended Warranty Do I need?

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that's too high, but my general thought on the warranties wouldn't necessarily be to dismiss. Yes they are money makers, but so is everything else or it's not on the market long.

You are likely not going to come out ahead on it no matter what the price. It's insurance

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
UP until this year I would have said don't go with an extended warranty. Fortunately for me Yamaha threw a 5 year extended warranty when I purchased my 2015 new. I've had 2 issues. This year they swapped out the Connext screen as it was delaminating. No hassle there as it was late winter and no missed boating time. Then the begining of August I was checking engine oil and found it milky on the port engine. Pulled the fill cap and it was covered in oil that looked like chocolate milk and was foamy. Drained and refilled the oil and filter on the lift 4 times til the oil ran clean. Took it for a quick test ride, put it on the lift, drained some oil and it was milky again.

Pulled the plugs and they looked fine which makes sense as the boat was running fine and no alarms sounded prior. Brought it to the dealer, they looked for obvious intrusion but finding none they pressurized the cylinder head and found a slight crack near one of the cylinder head bolts that was causing the water to get in. They sent pics to Yamaha and a week later they replied that they'd cover the work under warranty as it was a manufacturers defect. Took another week for the dealer to get the new cylinder head parts from Yamaha so all in all missed the month of August for boating this year.

So I no longer tell people that Yamaha engines are bulletproof. Hoping this was a one off fluke though I hold my breath now when checking the oil.
This is a what I'm afraid of personally. Seems to be a 50/50 shot to get it or not. Dammit

OakleyAK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
$30 a month over 180 months is a total of $5,400. So about $1100 per year of warranty
Dealer offered to extend my warranty out to 5 years for 2k. So I think if it is 180 months and not figured at a rate of 30/month over the additional 4 years, then that is way too expensive.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dealer offered to extend my warranty out to 5 years for 2k. So I think if it is 180 months and not figured at a rate of 30/month over the additional 4 years, then that is way too expensive.
Interesting. He did say I would have the option near the end of my regular warranty to purchase the extended. I may go that route which could end up cheaper in the long run

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is a what I'm afraid of personally. Seems to be a 50/50 shot to get it or not. Dammit
I don't think it's anywhere close to 50/50, probably more like 95/5 or less. Like any other warranty or insurance though, it's a waste of money right up until it isn't. I have the 5-year YES on mine, 2 years in and zero issues, but if I were to have a single issue like that cracked head up there, it would pay for itself in spades.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think it's anywhere close to 50/50, probably more like 95/5 or less. Like any other warranty or insurance though, it's a waste of money right up until it isn't. I have the 5-year YES on mine, 2 years in and zero issues, but if I were to have a single issue like that cracked head up there, it would pay for itself in spades.
I was meaning 50/50 shot in my decision to do it or not.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought one for mine. Also pretty sure it's an extra 4 years on top of 1 year factory.
I think you may be right. I'd have to ask. He said 1 or 5 years so probably so

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The dealer I bought from offers a full refund if you don’t use in the extended years which was a no brainer. On the flip side I’ve had a ton of warranty issues so I’m glad I have it even if I didn’t have a chance of getting it back.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For $5400 you could probably buy an SBT engine and a connex screen... so if you can do the work yourself the extended warranty seems unnecessary.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bought a new '16, in Oct/Nov '15.
Had the dealer wait to register the sale until after the new year as Yamaha almost always offers a 'free' extra year of warranty in the new year (boat show season.)
Bottom-line, got 2 years of warranty, for the baked-in price of 1.

There were a lot of new things in the '16 and ended up using most of those 2 years to allow Yamaha to get some of the bugs out.
Speedo errors that required the tachs to be sent back for upgraded firmware was the one I could not have fixed myself-
Had the trailer tires and wheel well supports fixed 3 times, before they got it right (and replaced the tires and new supports)

But in general, as long as you use your boat well in the first year, and are attentive to log problems with your dealer, you should not need multiple years of warranty from a Yamana, IMO.

Roof

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This thread saved me some money! Got my extended warranty, components included, for 1/2 of what they asked. He tried to come down twice and I said, nah, thanks anyways but if you go down 1200.00 I'll do it. BOOM
2019 212 s limited. So far so good, I'm in love.

Attachments

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think it depends on how you use your boat vs what the cost is. I got it. Here's why...

There are two dealers in the Bay Area & Sacramento. The closest is 60 miles away from home, so it's 3 hours round trip. I also typically take the boat to a lake for a long weekend, then it goes into Lake Tahoe (which is 2+ hours away from the closest dealer) for 12 weeks in the summer, and then goes for a week long trip to Lake Shasta. The best time for me to get warranty work done is at the end of the season as it'd be a tremendous PITA to do it during the season. In the case of Tahoe, for example, that'd mean taking it out of the lake, cleaning it, dragging it back down to the dealer 100 miles away, and then hauling it back up a 7400 foot pass to the lake. And if the dealer 'water tested' it for any reason, that'd be another mussel inspection to the fune of about $125. Big PITA.

With a 1-year warranty, I'd also be in a position to get something fixed, and by the time I really have an opportunity to ensure it is correct, I'd be out of warranty. For the first two seasons on the 242x, I had warranty claims on it (nothing serious but still claims) none-the-less.

Now, if I lived in an area where the dealer was closer, it may be a different decision for me....