• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Y.E.S voided?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys,

I did my first (10 hour) maintenance myself. I changed the oil, and filter. Uninstalled the plugs, added anti-seize, checked then, and then torqued them to spec, The intermediate is non greasable (sealed), lubed the internals, and checked the steering, and trim linkages. Everything is great.

Now instead of using Yamilube, I used the OEM filter, and Mobile one 4T 10W40 oil. Its within the specs in the owners manual, and from what I have read is better for the engine.

I have all documentation, and receipts for the parts showing dates in a service history binder.

Did I just void my warranty?

they can't void warranty because you didn't use yamalube.

as long as you have it done, and the part used is within specification called out by the manufacturer, it is okay.

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Your warranty is only as good as your dealer.
To answer your question HELL NO I use totally different oil filters than what comes on the engine and regular Castrol gtx.
I write down the hours and date right inside the hull so I know where to look. I even do that with plugs or other maintenance items .
I use a black marker I also mark the filter with the same info.
They can only void a part under warranty if you use an aftermarket part and they can prove that part caused their part to fail.
But even in that case they can not void your entire warranty only the effected part. It's the dealer who screws you up since Yamaha relies heavily on the dealers report to decide if they want to cover something or not. My local dealers are usually easy to deal with.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

Great info on here as usual guys. Thanks. I have a hard time letting dealers touch my stuff especially from what has happened with Scarab.

I know Ill do a better job with routine maintenance, and can feel better when riding knowing what has been done exactly.

If you read the conditions of your Y.E.S. warranty, it will tell you that you have to show proof of minimum routine maintenance. I have used my Y.E.S. warranty, and my dealer knows me and my routine, so they didn't want to see a thing. But a dealer may ask for maintenance history, and all you need is a maintenance log. I lieu of that, a copy of receipts for parts/supplies/etc. But a log will show what you changed and when you changed it, and is easy enough to keep. So do yourself a favor and just start one now, and your good to go @ScarabMike ! Oh...NICE BIKE! Waterbike that is!

I view warranty's similar to insurance claims....the first answer usually is "NO" to any claim. I think it is critical to have all documentation to include receipts, dates, etc. and place the schedule in a log book. Another good idea is to take the routine maintenance schedule from the manual and incorporate that into your log book/spreadsheet. I would go as far as to take pics on certain things as well. Once you show them that you are more aware of the proper procedures than they are and have the documentation to prove it, you typically will get what you want. Like others have said though, dealer experiences vary greatly.

Short version: As long as you have some kind of documentation (receipts for filters or detailed maintenance log), you're fine. Just keep a log... Personally, I prefer both electronic and written... electronic copies can be stored on multiple cloud services so you can always get one back if something happens.

Long version: Many moons ago, I bought a Yamaha FJR1300 motorcycle... basically a cross between an R1 and a Goldwing. At the time, they were so rare that you had to go give $500 to the dealer to order one, they'd make it, ship it and you'd get a call in about 8 months asking when you wanted to come pay for the rest of it and ride home. Almost everyone got the YES warranty with it because the dealers didn't know how to work on them and some of them had a tendency to develop a nasty valve tick and eventually lose compression over time. Some did it, some didn't. The dealer in the area sucked and had a crappy service dept... I'd had issues with them before for work they've done on previous bikes (like putting in an axle seal backwards so the axle heated and locked up at highway speed... that was fun). Anyway, I did all my own maintenance and work, including some fairly intrusive stuff like checking valve guides and clearance.We had an FJR forum much like this one that was just as helpful (that's not sarcasm). Eventually the thing started ticking. I waited till it snowed, took it to another dealer that our forum members had good experiences with and left it in their hands. I get a call a few days later saying its a ticker and needs the head, valves and journals replaced. "We can't find any service records for that VIN, corporate needs to know it was serviced before they'll authorize warranty payment. Do you have any?" I faxed them a log of miles, dates, checkboxes and a few notes (like "pads low, replace"). Got a call back the next day... "Mr. K, we've ordered all the parts we think it'll need, if we don't find anything else as we go, it should be done two weeks." Keep a record, you're fine with Mother Yamaha.

Back