• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamalube

Chase Worthington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who all is using Yamalube on their motors? Is there a better product out there?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Use it for every fill up along with marine stabil. Owner manual reccomendation on the yammalube.

Edit. I was speaking to the fuel additive.

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use it exclusively because it is recommended, because it is on the approved list NMMA list and meets NMMA standards. I know it could be BS, but I was told if your engine fails and you are not using marine standard (NMMA) oil (which Yamalube is) they could deny your claim. So the cost is not much more than Mobil One (not on the NMMA list) and just to avoid hassles I use Yamalube. Doesn't mean I am right, but it's all about CYA!

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What Yamalube product are you referring to? There's 100s. I have used Yamalube Oil since I purchased the boat, and I used the Yamalube fogging oil last fall.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My thoughts:
  1. Yamaha doesn't make their own oil
  2. Yamaha can't deny a claim based on what oil you use--as long as you use a compatible grade/type
  3. I trust Mobil 1 in all my engines....its proven, and top of the line (in my head anyway)--I have no idea if Yamalube IS Mobil oil, but I know Mobil oil IS!
  4. Mobil oil is cheaper and far more easy for me to get my hands on (my mechanic neighbor buys all his oil at Walmart-says they typically have the lowest prices-except for warehouse clubs occasionally).
Bottom line - its personal preference - change it often and you'll be fine!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I only run yamalube for a few reasons and they all deal with the warranty. Yes you can use other oils so long as they meet the requirements Yamaha publishes for their warranty. I have a friend who owned a marina back home in FL and they were an authorized Yamaha dealer, when an engine failed early and was submitted for claim, the first thing they would do is pull a sample of oil and it went straight to Yamaha for analysis. They will quickly spend the $30 to get an analysis looking for key ingredients, if any of those are missing, they can deny claim and they certainly will use that to save them from a warranty payout.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My thoughts:
  1. Yamaha doesn't make their own oil
  2. Yamaha can't deny a claim based on what oil you use--as long as you use a compatible grade/type
  3. I trust Mobil 1 in all my engines....its proven, and top of the line (in my head anyway)--I have no idea if Yamalube IS Mobil oil, but I know Mobil oil IS!
  4. Mobil oil is cheaper and far more easy for me to get my hands on (my mechanic neighbor buys all his oil at Walmart-says they typically have the lowest prices-except for warehouse clubs occasionally).
Bottom line - its personal preference - change it often and you'll be fine!
You are correct on all counts except Mobil 1 is not on the NMMA approved list....not sure if that means a damned thing.....but it is the basis for my decision!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You are correct on all counts except Mobil 1 is not on the NMMA approved list....not sure if that means a damned thing.....but it is the basis for my decision!
I don't have a copy of the service manual for my 242X, but the below is from my SX230, and there is no mention of NMMA approved oil only----the NMMA would LOVE for them to say this...but they can't. Just needs to be SAE 10W-30

Oil type.JPG

Mobil 1 is:

API: SN,SM,SL,SJ

So it conforms to the above specs SJ & SL. You would likely be hard pressed to find a 10W-30 that wasn't one of their specified specs.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It all comes down to the fact that they have an entire fleet of lawyers on their payroll to make things difficult. You would have to ask yourself how deep are your pockets to fight them in litigation, can you outlast their resources? That is simply a gamble I am not willing to take as I have been on the receiving end with Nissan some years ago and I could not afford to continue the fight

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Yamalube for break-in and then switch to Amsoil. Reading here and on greenhulk, I would guesstimate that at least half of however many thousand Yamaha boat/jet ski owners use non-OEM oil, use whatever you like 10-W40. Never heard of any warranty issues related to DIY servicing with non-OEM oil. Just save your oil/filter receipt.

--

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It all comes down to the fact that they have an entire fleet of lawyers on their payroll to make things difficult. You would have to ask yourself how deep are your pockets to fight them in litigation, can you outlast their resources? That is simply a gamble I am not willing to take as I have been on the receiving end with Nissan some years ago and I could not afford to continue the fight
Yamaha wouldn't have a leg to stand on....and this has been proven again and again in court. It is illegal to make you use a companies oil/filters etc. All you need to do is use an oil that meets their spec and change it at their prescribed intervals (and keep proof). ZERO NADA NO worry in court.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, many of the oil manufacturers have their own fleet of lawyers prepared to defend you if you use their oil and a manufacturer attempts to prove that their oil doesn't meet manufacturers spec--which by the way the manufacturer HAS to prove. So you are pretty darn safe.

But again...if you don't feel safe....pay for Yamalube.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am not disagreeing with anything you are saying, Julian....just relaying what I have been told and why Yamaha oil is required. I did some research and here is the real answer. If you are enrolled in the Yamalube Advantage program, that warranties your engine for 20 years or 5000 hours, you MUST use Yamaha oil...

DURING THE PERIOD OF WARRANTY, the Covered Customer must change the engine oil and oil filter, if an oil filter is applicable, exclusively with Yamalube Engine Oil & Yamaha Genuine Oil Filter appropriate for the Qualified Product

So here is where that all came from but it says nothing about that for the normal warranty or the extended (YES) warranty. Here is where the subject is addressed for the warranty or the YES warranty:

Follow Yamaha guidelines for the quality and type of fuel, oil, and lubricants used. Failure to follow guidelines in the appropriate owner’s manual may result in denial of certain claims.

Obviously, the Yamaha tech that told me this was only correct IF you are enrolled in the 20 year warranty program. SO....I guess when my supply of Yamalube runs out....I will change to Mobil1 :)

I stand corrected, admonished, and shamed for imparting FAKE NEWS :)

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, if you read the T&C, that program warrants the engine only for breakdown due to failure of the oil...

Personally, I would not bother. Never heard of an engine failing from failed oil (that could be proven).

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yea, there are alot of hoops you have to jump thru for that warranty!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, that Yamalube advantage program looks like a scheme for selling yamalube. I guess they have learned from amsoil, which has a real ponzi scheme going :eek:. As much as I like the oil, amsoil sales tactics are awful.

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Amazon has it for about $48 for 4 quarts and a filter. That's about comparable to other oils & filter. So why not?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can get the kit on Partzilla for $37.61 shipped.;) I just reordered to have a set on standby.

EDIT: Shipping is only free on orders over $149. With shipping, two would be $42.58 each.

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Yamalube for break-in and then switch to Amsoil. Reading here and on greenhulk, I would guesstimate that at least half of however many thousand Yamaha boat/jet ski owners use non-OEM oil, use whatever you like 10-W30. Never heard of any warranty issues related to DIY servicing with non-OEM oil. Just save your oil/filter receipt.

--
I'm switching to full synthetic and was wondering if 10-30 is what I need to put in my boat for the hot Oklahoma summers?