• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Still leaking water and don’t know where from. Please help!

Mikeytodd212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
My 2014 Yamaha 212x is still taking on water. After driving for 10 min and sitting in one spot for 4 hrs. Bilged a couple times and it ran for 5 seconds each time. Not a lot of water in bilge. While in the water if you open the ski locker drain water pushes in really fast. When I take the boat out it all runs back to bilge area and when I pull the plug it drains for over three minutes. Taking on slot of water from somewhere. Yamaha dealer checked out and said no problems but it still does the same thing. Advice? Any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'm assuming all of the cooling lines are in good shape, tight and not leaking. I'm also assuming you ran it at home with the flush port and don't see any engine water leaking into the bilge.

If so, maybe this will help.....

I had a '14 SX192 and in the second season I had it I was out on the river and and it started to feel kind of sluggish. I opened the engine hatch and there was water everywhere.... halfway up the block..... (and yes... the plug was in and tight)! I told the wife to put on her life jacket... I really thought we were going to sink.

After shutting off the motor the bilge pumped out. I started looking for a hose that was leaking but couldn't see anything leaking. I limped it back to the dock and pulled it out. After I couldn't find anything at home where that much water could have been filling the bilge I took it to the dealer.

The dealer couldn't find anything either. After running it for an hour it was bone dry.... i even got charged a $75 diagnostic fee since it wasn't a warranty issue. The mechanic was fairly sure the clean-out plug was not seated tight enough. This was the old push-button style before they redesigned it with the twist-lock. The dealer thinks that if the clean-out plug was not fully seated it could have created a pressure imbalance in the pump where water was being forced past the seal.

I always made sure after that that the clean-out plug was sealed tight. I never had the problem again.

Since you have the same style clean-out plug as I did, it might be worth checking to make sure the surfaces around the plug and seating area are smooth and clean and you have the plug in as tight as it can be.

Last edited:

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you checked the scupper valve on the transom? That can cause a lot of water entering the boat.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm assuming all of the cooling lines are in good shape, tight and not leaking. I'm also assuming you ran it at home with the flush port and don't see any engine water leaking into the bilge.

If so, maybe this will help.....

I had a '14 SX192 and in the second season I had it I was out on the river and and it started to feel kind of sluggish. I opened the engine hatch and there was water everywhere.... halfway up the block..... (and yes... the plug was in and tight)! I told the wife to put on her life jacket... I really thought we were going to sink.

After shutting off the motor the bilge pumped out. I started looking for a hose that was leaking but couldn't see anything leaking. I limped it back to the dock and pulled it out. After I couldn't find anything at home where that much water could have been filling the bilge I took it to the dealer.

The dealer couldn't find anything either. After running it for an hour it was bone dry.... i even got charged a $75 diagnostic fee since it wasn't a warranty issue. The mechanic was fairly sure the clean-out plug was not seated tight enough. This was the old push-button style before they redesigned it with the twist-lock. The dealer thinks that if the clean-out plug was not fully seated it could have created a pressure imbalance in the pump where water was being forced past the seal.

I always made sure after that that the clean-out plug was sealed tight. I never had the problem again.

Since you have the same style clean-out plug as I did, it might be worth checking to make sure the surfaces around the plug and seating area are smooth and clean and you have the plug in as tight as it can be.
I’ll piggy back on this point. If you look through the removable hatch cover, you will see the tubes that the clean out port covers go down. There should be a hose clamp at the very bottom and very top of those tubes. If the clamps loosen up, they can move away from the lip and open up the seal of the tube to the lip. That’s where my water was pouring in from. Worth a look at least.

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Purchase the Cobra EZ-Locks for the clean out plugs - these are a must have, and will ensure the clean out plugs are seated, locked in and stay that way. Also, a second SS clamp around the bottom of the tubes is easy cheap insuarance against leaking from that point.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When on the trailer have you tried putting in all the plugs and then filling various areas of the boat with a bucket of water (or hose) to see if you see water coming out?
If I had to guess (knowing you and I have basically the same hull) I would fill the space between the cleanout plugs thru the little hatch and see if you get anything leaking from the drain plug first or the exhaust fittings. Our hull/years is not known for having leaks in the main drain plug, but a good place to start since there are other hull fittings in that space (exhaust, pump fittings, etc) and should be found by filling that space with water.
Next would be seeing if you can narrow down to the other places in the hull that have holes like where the ballast fittings are.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So there's generally a run down of common problems on these boats that nearly all of them suffer from.

1.) Anchor locker drain. It's not sealed all the way through and can create wet storage lockers. Generally not as much water as you're seeing. Seal that thing around the edges on the inside with 3m 4200 and it won't leak.
2.) Scupper valve on the rear of the boat. It's white, plastic, and tends to crack. You need a stainless one that should be easy to find on Amazon, and examples by searching here.
3.) Clean out hatch where the clean out plugs are. It's affixed by several screws, and some clamps on the tubes to the clean out hatch. I'd pull that hatch out, put 3m 4200 around the base, and also around the clean out tubes, and the drain tube that also connects in there if you have it.

If all of those things check out, start checking for thru hull fittings like the ballasts. If you have seacock valves try closing them and see if that helps.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bilged a couple times and it ran for 5 seconds each time. Not a lot of water in bilge.
Gotta make sure you're starting from a known-good place. Jack up the front of your boat as high as possible and drain the boat. Add a block or two under the jack to raise it higher than usual, I'd guess 6-8" block under the jack would get you pretty close to draining 99-100% of all the water. Open the inspection hatch on your cleanout tray, stick a light down in there, and visually verify that you don't still have water flowing back to the drain. If you aren't certain you're launching with no water in the boat, you can't figure out if you've got old or new water in the bilge. If you're on a lift and not a trailer, you either need to get your trailer and pull it to raise it and get everything out, or figure out some way to ensure you have an empty bilge. USUALLY getting on plane and running the bilge while on plane will do a decent job, but it will NOT get everything out. Your bow NEEDS to be raised, and raised quite a bit, for you to know for sure that you've got as much out as possible. Thinking it's good enough, is not "good enough" Water will hide under your ski locker if the bow isn't raised high enough to drain well.

@Judge and @sunbyrned have great troubleshooting tips, especially if that is the type of cleanout plug you have. If it's not sealed, water will enter the cleanout tray and likely leak into your bilge around anything that's not sealed, like those cleanout port tubes @sunbyrned mentioned. Since you were only driving for 10 minutes, that sounds like it could be contributing to the initial 5 second pump of water IF your bilge was already empty. If the bilge was NOT empty, this might be the reason for the next (final?) 5 second pump, and the old water in the bilge was the cause of the first 5 second pump. Give us that info of whether or not you know the bow was jacked up - HIGH - and all the water was gone or not.

@ZippyBoater has another great suggestion for you - you need to check the scupper. Plastic? Replace it with a stainless one and make sure it's sealed well under the flange and around the edges of that scupper. Metal already? If you didn't do it, see if you can take the nut off the backside and see if there's any squeeze out of sealant around that hole. If not, or if it's not even around the scupper hole, seal it up really well and put the nut back on - if you're really ambitious, you might want to pull the whole shebang and reseal it so you're certain it's done. Your call, if you're comfortable doing it. The plastic scupper COULD be cracked like @suke said, and only leaks while under power (pressure being applied at that point only), so with the age of the boat, if it's plastic, I'd replace that with a stainless one anyway, for peace of mind.

While in the water if you open the ski locker drain water pushes in really fast.
It sounds like you had the drain plug IN, on the drain in the ski locker. If that's correct, was water coming in around the edges of the drain fitting when the plug was in? If not, perfect. If the answer is yes, remove the fitting, add sealant under the fitting, and put the fitting back in place. The reason the water is coming in fast when that drain is open is that is the lowest part of the boat when it's on the water, and not in motion. You were standing above that area, causing all the excess bilge water to run to the place where there was an opening, and that's why the water was coming in - you still had water in the bilge, but not enough water for it to rise to the level of the bilge pump in the engine compartment. This is the reason you need to raise the bow of the boat to ensure you have as much water out of the boat as possible. Your bilge pump isn't at the lowest point in the boat, so you're dragging around excess water until enough comes in for it to reach the pump and trip the float, sending it out the side of the boat.

@Rodder77 mentioned the EZ Locks, for those plugs, they seem like a lifesaver for more than just water intrusion - damage to the cover or blowouts in general might have you dead in the water with possible damage to the hatch switches, as some folks here have experienced. Jeff has a great product for you guys with that type of plug.

It sounds like everyone else has the major items covered for you to check - you didn't let us know what was already done to it. You posted in another old thread, again without really mentioning what you tried or did already. The only other item that comes to mind with the data you gave us (10 minutes under power, 4 hour float) is that your rub rail could be the culprit as well. There's threads around here about that, but let us know some more info or what your plan of attack is, and the more info you can gather and pass on, the better the ideas you will get for solving this.

The good thing is that while it feels like a lot of water, look around here and you'll see that it's pretty common, and not necessarily something to panic over, but great to be aware of like you are. You'll get this sorted out with some reading and feeding us some info so we can point you in the right direction.

Blue Yonder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
My 2014 Yamaha 212x is still taking on water. After driving for 10 min and sitting in one spot for 4 hrs. Bilged a couple times and it ran for 5 seconds each time. Not a lot of water in bilge. While in the water if you open the ski locker drain water pushes in really fast. When I take the boat out it all runs back to bilge area and when I pull the plug it drains for over three minutes. Taking on slot of water from somewhere. Yamaha dealer checked out and said no problems but it still does the same thing. Advice? Any would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
My 2016 212x is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever find the issue?

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I went through everything on the list (the official leak thread) list and nothing helped until I did two things. I added JBP's mechanical clean out tray riser: https://jetboatpilot.com/products/yamaha-mechanical-access-port-riser and I added a reverse flow valve on the drain in the clean out tray. All leaks have been stopped. make sure you seal the riser well, but that is where my leak issue was from.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have you gone through the leak finding thread? If you find a new leak, I'll add it, but I've not added one in over a year.....