• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Those crazy b*stards at Ram actually did it

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I can tell you from having one of those motors running that thing constantly at 3500rpms would be hella inefficient and loud AF.
This applies to pretty much any engine.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Hurricane I6 sounds like it will be great, smooth as silk and no whiny electrical gak.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's kinda why I thought it would make sense to use ecodiesel.

A few other thoughts... Much has been said of the "what if you are running in locomotive mode", but really that won't happen that frequently. You're not ally going to be braking, coasting downhill, slowing for traffic, etc enough that the battery will likely maintain enough reserve charge that you won't be hand to mouth on electricity. I suspect that unless you tell it to drain itself, the truck is designed to keep the battery at a reasonable charge level to prevent that kind of situation from happening.

Semi related news, the hurricane I6 is going to be 540hp.in the ram. It's gonna be a freaking rocket. Almost 100hp.more than Ford offers out of the HO Ecoboost. Over 100hp.more than GM offers with the 6.2L V8. 150hp more than hemi offered. It's 20hp.more than the twin turbo V8 in the BMW X5 I've been looking at.
Maybe we’ll get a street performance model that you’ve been dreaming about. 🤷‍♂️

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With hp being displacement times RPM... You leave a lot of power at the table if you don't rev it up. In the volt, when more power is needed, it was quite noticable, just like a gas engine. I would not expect very low RPM. It will rev up for sure. 3600 At least. Some of the time.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe we’ll get a street performance model that you’ve been dreaming about. 🤷‍♂️
With 540hp, all they really need to offer is a blackout package like they already have and they're good enough. There's already plenty of sport suspension upgrades out for it.

Honestly I'm probably going to end.up buying a sport SUV before those are even out. Unfortunate timing, as it were. There's still a chance that I hold on to the TBSS long enough to make it to that timeframe, but honestly I'm planning to sell my boat, and I could just rent a truck for home Depot stuff. I think if I end up sticking it out more than a few months, I'm gonna end.up selling the boat and TBSS and just getting an M5.

More food for thought on the HO motor. That's 40+ HP more than BMW gets out of their M3/M40 straight 6. Put it in a Grand Cherokee and you've got a very competent challenger get to all the German sport SUVs on sale. It's 40hp more than the twin turbo V8 in the Audi SQ7. Put it in Charger and you've got a recipe for a competent sport sedan. Put it in Durango, put it Cherokee, put it in Pacifica... There's nothing they offer that it doesn't make sense to put it in, outside.of 2500/3500 trucks.

I guess what I'm saying is, while it's gonna be great in the Ram, it's going to amazing in Jeep and Dodge products.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd never own a Ram. I swear every Ram truck I see on the road is as aggressive as 'F'. They are always the ones tailgating the shit out of the guy in front of them, or the ones weaving in and out of traffic to get to the head of the snake, only to slow down and go the same speed as all the poor bastards they just cut off.

Pickup Trucks With the Most Aggressive Drivers (insurify.com)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd never own a Ram. I swear every Ram truck I see on the road is as aggressive as 'F'. They are always the ones tailgating the shit out of the guy in front of them, or the ones weaving in and out of traffic to get to the head of the snake, only to slow down and go the same speed as all the poor bastards they just cut off.

This is bull. No Ram gets around me unless it's an SRT10 or MAYBE TRX. Hard to be aggressive when you aren't as fast.

The new 540hp ones though, they'll probably be able to. Or Ramchargers.

Either way if the punks going slow would just move over we could all go as fast as we want.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That list is for responsible folks with Insurance. Around here the Mexican landscaper trucks will put you in the ditch.
Most are so beat down that you can't tell which brand they are. They do seem to favor Toyota's though.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

I swear it wasn’t me! 😝

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

We found the guy that goes the speed limit in the left lane.

Joking aside, I do not weave in/out of traffic but I will absolutely ride your ass if you're breaking the law in the left lane.

Also what a ridiculous chart. The nationwide average is less than 2% lower than the highest truck. Very deceptive analytics, but if we want to go down that rabbit hole, GM takes the cake for 1/2 ton trucks with 3 on the list.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With hp being displacement times RPM
HP is not displacement time RPM, you calculate horsepower by multiplying the amount of force (in pounds) by the speed (in feet per second). But I find the whole discussion how ICE HP amusing as many EVs are able to smash HP amounts in vehicles simply by having multiple high HP motors. The Lucid Air Saphire being the prime example. Over 1000hp from 3 motors and a sub 2 second 0-60!

I think RAM will be very successful with this EV! The whole towing concern is no different than if you are using an ICE. If they rate it for 14k lbs, it has to be able to have an empty battery, fill it up with gas and off you go. I'll bet many owners will find (assuming they have a home charger and use it) that for 98% of their driving they use battery only, especially as home charging is WAY cheaper than gas, and I assume this will need premium!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Joking aside, I do not weave in/out of traffic but I will absolutely ride your ass if you're breaking the law in the left lane.

Also what a ridiculous chart. The nationwide average is less than 2% lower than the highest truck. Very deceptive analytics, but if we want to go down that rabbit hole, GM takes the cake for 1/2 ton trucks with 3 on the list.
If you're not breaking the speed limit in the left lane, GTFO. Same with the middle lane. The right lane is for people going the speed limit.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Lifetime!! That's awesome.

I have had 2 types with warranty for pots.

Stainless for the life of the original buyer.

For non stick, the life of the pot... It's peeling... End of life, sorry it's dead, no more warranty.

Do you know what kind you have?
Hahahaha! Sorry I missed this note. It is Mopar's Lifetime Vehicle Protection......non-transferrable, $100 deductible and you cannot miss a single maintenance interval or it's toast. I did use it at roughly 120K miles for the AC system and a leaky gasket. $5K in charges (dealer); no questions asked. Paid $100 deductible. Bumper to bumper except for consumables - bulbs, wipers, brakes, etc. I guess there is a reason Mopar doesn't offer it anymore.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Nope, I'm always speeding in the left lane, and no matter what, you will get that jack wagon in a jacked up Ram with his high beams on and a 3" dick riding your ass no matter how fast you're going. Most of these little guys in big trucks need a serious ass beatin. They usually all have a double chin with a prison pussy on their face too.:p

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HP is not displacement time RPM, you calculate horsepower by multiplying the amount of force (in pounds) by the speed (in feet per second).
So, the discussion was bout the engine running at low RPM to recharge. What I meant to say is that all else being equal, RPM and displacement are related to the power output by similar magnitude. (more of either, more power)So if a similar displacement engine with similar technology goes 200hp at 5,000 RPM, you are not going to get the same power at from similar design engine going 1800 RPM. You would need way more displacement to get the same power.

I attached a 200hp engine chart from a Saab. (random engine chart I found) If you want more power at the same RPM, you are going to need more displacement. Notice how power and RPM have a common slope... That's what I meant. Apologies because the statement was not true as presented, but this was the idea I meant to convey. Just because there are engines that are 200hp at 2000ccs, they won't make much power at low RPMs. That HP rating is for 5800+ RPM. Got to rev it up to get the power.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Nope, I'm always speeding in the left lane, and no matter what, you will get that jack wagon in a jacked up Ram with his high beams on and a 3" dick riding your ass no matter how fast you're going. Most of these little guys in big trucks need a serious ass beatin. They usually all have a double chin with a prison pussy on their face too.:p
Or just move out of the way when you see a faster car approaching.... (it's the law in most states)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, the discussion was bout the engine running at low RPM to recharge. What I meant to say is that all else being equal, RPM and displacement are related to the power output by similar magnitude. (more of either, more power)So if a similar displacement engine with similar technology goes 200hp at 5,000 RPM, you are not going to get the same power at from similar design engine going 1800 RPM. You would need way more displacement to get the same power.

I attached a 200hp engine chart from a Saab. (random engine chart I found) If you want more power at the same RPM, you are going to need more displacement. Notice how power and RPM have a common slope... That's what I meant. Apologies because the statement was not true as presented, but this was the idea I meant to convey. Just because there are engines that are 200hp at 2000ccs, they won't make much power at low RPMs. That HP rating is for 5800+ RPM. Got to rev it up to get the power.
You guys are talking past each other.

While you are in general correct, a motor will make more HP as it reva up higher, he is also correct that it's all but guaranteed by the way HP is calculated. For HP to not rise with rpm, you need a significant torque drop over that same rise, and at the end of the day, the engine really produces torque, HP is a measurement of the amount of torque created over time in essence.

This all goes out the window with modern vehicles. Turbochargers allow you to make a boatload of torque down low, and more importantly, vary that power output via a wastegate. So while previously you could really only vary output via throttle position and rpm, now I could peg a motor at 2000rpm and vary my boost pressure via an electronic wastegate if I need more or less power. Not only that, but the size of the turbocharger can be specified such that it makes more power at low rpm and cannot keep boost pressures up at higher rpm, resulting in less power.

In reality, I don't know that a turbocharged 4 cylinder is more suited to use in a generator than an NA v6. It's possible that the required torque to spin a generator of the required output is easily matched by a normally aspirated v6. It's been a long time since I took classes of electromagnetic fields, but as I recall the field resistance doesn't go up with speed, so if I'm remembering that right, that means that you could generate more power out of a generator by spinning the generator faster, and as long as you're able to keep the required torque up at that rpm, you're fine.

Obviously, Ramcharger is a first of it's kind, and is certain to have not nailed the efficiencies thing by sheer luck the first go around. I suspect the 3.6 was chosen due to its low cost, plentiful availability, and the fact that it's existing and fairly.compact in the ram engine bay. The next gen Ramcharger will likely have a better motor for this purpose.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Or just move out of the way when you see a faster car approaching.... (it's the law in most states)
It’s common courtesy to do so anyway.

It’s what I do and what I expect others to do.

Jim

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Didn’t you start a thread last month about jet skiers ???

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you ever DON’T do that on the autobahn in Germany, you will possibly get run off the road and definitely get pulled over if police see you do it.