• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Those crazy b*stards at Ram actually did it

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
LOL, if my wife and I did that in a day, only one of us (not sure who) would make it to the destination!

We usually split it into two days, covering more the first day so that we arrive in the early afternoon of day 2. Or better yet, we fly!

Jim
Drive my EV to Tampa from Raleigh often. Adds max (so far) 60-90 minutes as my car charges in 20-25 minutes depending on the charger speed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL, if my wife and I did that in a day, only one of us (not sure who) would make it to the destination!

We usually split it into two days, covering more the first day so that we arrive in the early afternoon of day 2. Or better yet, we fly!

Jim
Same here......If it's a long trip, we try to split it up.

This years FL trip we left at noon and drove until dark. I think maybe 6hrs of driving. Stopped, then did the remaining 4.5hrs the next day. It was more time, and a little more expense, but was such an easier day than the 10.5hrs straight we did on the way home.

I grew up taking road trips from Roswell, NM to Louisville, KY. Dad was a colossal dick about stopping only for fuel, and "having to make time or we'll be on the road forever". It's an 18hr trip if you don't stop at all. I've quickly grown away from that mentality. Only under a few rare occasions do I try to "push the trip" like that, usually surrounding a family emergency, or something like that. In general, if I'm driving that far, the difference of adding 4hrs of charging wouldn't even blip the radar.

Life's too short to be that caught up on transit time in all but the most dire circumstances.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Jim
😂
We've been driving that route for the past 15 years with our kids, they are the lucky ones to catch up on sleep or be forced to talk to their parents when they are awake. Now it is getting better since at least one of them volunteers to drive a bit.
At this point the whole trip, stops, possible traffic is timed. We even know the gas stations that have reasonable prices and which ones are not.
We are in an out from gas stations, food places, or rest stops in 15 min or less.
Flying lately is expensive for 4 people and also unpredictable.
Several last times we flew we were always on a verge of missing connecting flight and flights took way longer than it was planned.
With driving we have way more control!

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Same here......If it's a long trip, we try to split it up.

This years FL trip we left at noon and drove until dark. I think maybe 6hrs of driving. Stopped, then did the remaining 4.5hrs the next day. It was more time, and a little more expense, but was such an easier day than the 10.5hrs straight we did on the way home.

I grew up taking road trips from Roswell, NM to Louisville, KY. Dad was a colossal dick about stopping only for fuel, and "having to make time or we'll be on the road forever". It's an 18hr trip if you don't stop at all. I've quickly grown away from that mentality. Only under a few rare occasions do I try to "push the trip" like that, usually surrounding a family emergency, or something like that. In general, if I'm driving that far, the difference of adding 4hrs of charging wouldn't even blip the radar.

Life's too short to be that caught up on transit time in all but the most dire circumstances.
We tried splitting our trip multiple times and it made it worse for us.
Either we couldn't sleep in the hotel or we would be stuck between Richmond and DC forever the next day. On I-95 it is all about timing.
Kids prefer to do it in one shot now too.
We usually leave Florida at 7-8 am and we are home by midnight.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As the parent of a 12 and 5 year old kid, as well as a semi frequent transporter of grandmothers over 60 years old........That "window" of opportunity to make REALLY long legs on a road trip is strikingly low.

Made a trip to Florida every year for the last 3 years (twice with the boat). Those had 2 adults, 2 kids, and 1 grandparent. THEN made a trip to SC this fall with (3) adult men (38, 34, and 43)........I've yet to have any leg of any trip go more than 3hrs.

Maybe we have abnormally tiny bladders?
Dang! I have an 8 and 2 year old....also 42 myself. We've gone easily 6 hours without stopping. So long as the baby doesn't poop and they've got snacks they're good. My truck can get nearly 800 miles on a tank on the highway. We go to various parts of FL nearly every year. I've yet to bring the boat. We were pushing to do the jetboat meet in FL next year, but don't think the nearly 3YO could handle all day several days in a row on the boat. We routinely go 4-5 hours without stopping and stop purely for major meals. Rarely have we gone beyond the tank capacity of 700ish miles so I get gas when we start to/from and that'll generally last us.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
LOL! I'm that dick. My wife is fortunately the same way. We push hard to maximize our time at the destination and to limit the total time in the car. This last trip we made a stop at Buccee's because we hadn't been to one before. It was only 2 hours into the trip and it made the 6 hours seem much much longer. My in laws made a 5 hour drive take 10 hours cause they stop so much. I refuse to travel with them cause I'm the one that drives 100% of the time since my wife refuses to drive my truck. She says it's too big. I'd rather drive 5 hours and be done than spend 10 hours in and out of a car.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ramcharger powertrain to come to the Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer in 2025. Also “PHEV upgrade” for Wrangler and Gladiator. BEV Wrangler in 2028.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ramcharger powertrain to come to the Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer in 2025. Also “PHEV upgrade” for Wrangler and Gladiator. BEV Wrangler in 2028.

Well son of a bitch.

I guess I'm gonna be shopping for a Wagcharger at some point in a couple years. The wife already liked them, and now it's gonna be in the series hybrid that fits our use perfectly. I just hope it comes in the L model with the carbide edition... Ugh it's gonna be so expensive, lol. That's a $90k vehicle today, let alone what they work out to later on.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well son of a bitch.

I guess I'm gonna be shopping for a Wagcharger at some point in a couple years. The wife already liked them, and now it's gonna be in the series hybrid that fits our use perfectly. I just hope it comes in the L model with the carbide edition... Ugh it's gonna be so expensive, lol. That's a $90k vehicle today, let alone what they work out to later on.
I'll buy a tow boat before I spend over 100k on something that's just a normal everyday vehicle. Car prices have gotten bonkers!

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m quite happy with a pickup truck, and I said I’d never get an SUV again, but I too do like the new Wagoneers. Maybe the kids will be out of the house by the next time I purchase a vehicle and I can get a sports car or Wrangler or Bronco.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
imo crazy prices apply to luxury trucks and go fast trucks.
I have a 2001 gmc 2500hd, extended cab, sle, 8.1, allison, 4x4 11.5 aam, gasser, I bought it new in 2001. $34k.
Recently I priced the same level of GMC locally, $54k.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
imo crazy prices apply to luxury trucks and go fast trucks.
I have a 2001 gmc 2500hd, extended cab, sle, 8.1, allison, 4x4 11.5 aam, gasser, I bought it new in 2001. $34k.
Recently I priced the same level of GMC locally, $54k.
My truck is a half ton, non luxury version, it's an XLT. Exact same spec'ed truck for a 2024 model is nearly $70k!!! New my truck would have been roughly $40-43k OTD with discounts. I paid $33k for my truck OTD in January of 2020. A used truck same spec as mine with low miles is very high 40's-to low 50's now.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My truck is a half ton, non luxury version, it's an XLT. Exact same spec'ed truck for a 2024 model is nearly $70k!!! New my truck would have been roughly $40-43k OTD with discounts. I paid $33k for my truck OTD in January of 2020. A used truck same spec as mine with low miles is very high 40's-to low 50's now.
Not only that, the 0.9% and 1.9% financing is also gone.
I just got 2023 Lariat with $10k off at 3.9% and it ended up being $65k. Same truck for 2024 is now $80k?!??

What inflation? Soon all these automakers will start suffering big time. They enjoyed free Covid money where people didn't care how much trucks cost, now the reality will kick in big time.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just ordered my new company truck. I just got a letter from Element Fleet offering me a buy price of $27,000 for my current truck. I'd really consider it if I needed one for a kiddo or something. I feel like it's a good deal. 2020 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4, chrome package, towing package, 60,000k miles, and new tires.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m actually seeing some pretty good prices on 2023 Ram 1500’s. My 2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab (level 2, now level B) had a 50K MSRP and I got a bit more than 30% off - 35K OTD. Locally, I can find basically the same new truck (2023 leftover) with a sticker of 60K and a sales price of 51K. I think this is pretty good is a post COVID world.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS

Motor trend has a new article on the RamCharger.

7.2kW onboard power.
140-ish EV mile range
Giant tow and payload numbers
Panoramic sunroof
630+ hp

There's a lot to like here. Despite it being a Dodge.

I do wonder about continued high load use. 190kW generator equates to ~250hp or so. While I don't think towing consumes a constant 250hp, it can likely get close. I'm curious if there are edge cases where you still have to stop and let it charge to continue on your voyage....... HOWEVER, that is still a far lower inconvenience than finding a grid based charger it still is a curiosity. I would expect Ram tested this as well.

Overall, I think this is a great solution. Enough EV to get me around in the off season on most days, and enough capability to easily cover long distance boat trips.

Now, maybe if they can get GM to take notice and make an AT4 with this configuration!

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can’t get the link to open, although I am not at home. I’m really excited to learn more about this vehicle, as it is potentially the one EV or Hybrid for which I would I would sell my ICE truck for.

Jim

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for the new link.

Those tow numbers are crazy for a 1/2 ton gas pickup, about double what I probably need. The biggest factor for me will be the
OTD price (not including tax). I’m in no hurry, and may start looking in 2026. I’m hoping to get something in the 60’s and have no qualms with buying at the end of the year.

Jim

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for the new link.

Those tow numbers are crazy for a 1/2 ton gas pickup, about double what I probably need. The biggest factor for me will be the
OTD price (not including tax). I’m in no hurry, and may start looking in 2026. I’m hoping to get something in the 60’s and have no qualms with buying at the end of the year.

Jim
I think the price for it would be $80k. $65k would be bare bones.