• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘14 vs ‘18 covers: what is Premium vs Deluxe Premium?

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just upgraded from a 2014 242ls to a 2018 242ls. It seems Yamaha improved every element of the boat except the cover. How could it regress so bad?

On my ‘14 the cover deployed quickly, and once ratcheted down it was tight everywhere. The bow area kept a tight incline for aerodynamics and water repel even when on the road. Never needed to use anti pooling poles, ever. The ratchets allowed you to pull strap tight before activating ratchet. So much better this way to prevent 10-15 layers of webbing around ratchet axle.

Advance to ‘18, cover is so saggy in bow area it becomes an air drag when towing. If I ever left in rain it would surely hold more water than it sheds. I had to learn how to deploy anti-pooling poles, so difficult. Ratchets are sewn to the ratchet axle requiring you to ratchet for every inch. Thinking I’ll cut the seam on these to allow webbing to pull through before ratcheting.

Are other ‘18 owners covers fitting the same? I may have mine altered in the off season.

D6FD3287-A218-4BF0-AA5C-F789AC76BF5F.jpeg69E8EE19-CA39-4CAD-83AC-45EE5D4E6AF4.jpegFFB6BBB5-7838-47B6-9AFD-71EDDB165AE7.jpeg

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can't comment on the differences with earlier boat covers, but just a recommendation to check out www.hangtyte.com - way better than dealing with the poles.

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Markk, It seems that you have the cheaper gray "Premium" cover on your new boat Vs. the black "Deluxe Premium" cover on your old one. I got the Premium cover when I bought my boat new in 2016 and had to replace it this year do to wearing through and tearing. My boat sat on a lift 95% of its life in Indiana only been on 4 road trips. Not a good cover. The black "Deluxe Premium" suppose to be a better material. Time will tell!

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Markk, It seems that you have the cheaper gray "Premium" cover on your new boat Vs. the black "Deluxe Premium" cover on your old one. I got the Premium cover when I bought my boat new in 2016 and had to replace it this year do to wearing through and tearing. My boat sat on a lift 95% of its life in Indiana only been on 4 road trips. Not a good cover. The black "Deluxe Premium" suppose to be a better material. Time will tell!
I wonder if there is a tag on my gray cover that will confirm it as Premium or Deluxe?

If someone else can confirm this difference I’ll be selling the grey and ordering the Deluxe Premium. I’m only (2) trips in on the new boat and already loathe the grey cover.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For my 2016 the Premium is/was available in gray or black.
Hangtyte is awesome but when towing I have it disengaged (no poles for towing either).

Yamaha apparently changed the fabric to a better variety.

The shortcomings may have to do with the new shape of the hull and taller gunnels.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have the BW+ fabric that is the best available from Yamaha I believe.
I can only get at best 2.5 years from the Yamaha mooring cover in the Florida sun on my 2008 AR210. After that, it's as thin and delicate as paper. I was excited to see on this thread that surlast has introduced their new BW+ (basket weave) fabric on all light grey covers in 2016. I was a bit skeptical as I remembered in 2010 and 2013 when I ordered the covers, they seemed thick and really durable when new. I could have easily thought my cover, when unboxed in 2013, was an improvement over the cover from 2010 when comparing the two side by side (used 2010 cover vs new 2013 cover). Also, the bulletin that waterboy posted states that this improvement is now included on all MY16 covers - I was thinking they meant "all model year 2016 boats", not "all covers manufactured in 2016".
I called the number on the bulletin and spoke to Roxanne at Commercial Sewing Inc. I asked if all light grey covers had in fact been improved with the BW+ fabric on their older cover designs, or was that only for newer style covers. She was very helpful and had to call me back so she could research it. I had given her the model number of my cover: MAR-210MC-TW-CH.
Unfortunately for some of us, her response was that the older style covers like mine, that are manufactured today, do not use the new BW+ fabric. Only covers for boat model years 2012 (for Yamaha) and later use it.
I just though I should share my findings.

I have no choice but to have to bite the bullet and spend another $550 for the same cover. Mine is torn to shreds. On the next windy day this thing will blow away like a dandelion:(

View attachment 44297

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can tell that your gray cover is not "Deluxe" as it does not have the cleat covers, it just has holes and a flap around the gas cap vs. a cover around the gas cap. I can tell you that when I switched covers a couple months ago I really didn't notice a difference in fit, the ratchets might be a little better. I think the Sur-last material sucks but the factory covers do fit like a glove!

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can tell that your gray cover is not "Deluxe" as it does not have the cleat covers, it just has holes and a flap around the gas cap vs. a cover around the gas cap. I can tell you that when I switched covers a couple months ago I really didn't notice a difference in fit, the ratchets might be a little better. I think the Sur-last material sucks but the factory covers do fit like a glove!
On your Deluxe Premium, does the bow area cave in to the seat bottoms when you tow? Specifically when poles are out.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On your Deluxe Premium, does the bow area cave in to the seat bottoms when you tow? Specifically when poles are out.
It needs to cave some (without poles), air gets sucked out through cover vents at speed.
Some here use a partially inflated tube in the bow (for longer tows), to alleviate that.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Swatski's right on that. The vent systems has been used on Yamaha covers for many years and will literally suck the air out. We will put the bow filler cushions and a ski tube up in the bow to help support the cover.

For our 242, we only had the Premium (gray) and Deluxe Premium (black) option. I have owned both on our boat. Swatski could be right, a black premium could exist, but I have never seen it. Many resellers also use the descriptions interchangeably and it adds to the confusion. But the part numbers will tell the real truth.

Huntersales is correct though, the zippered cleat covers are a clear indication of the deluxe premium. I tow ours without poles and it will suck right down to the bow seats. But sitting in the driveway, it will not pool water like our gray premium used to. I always had to have poles in, or a tube in the bow to get water to roll off.

So far, the Premium Deluxe black was well worth the extra cash.

Good luck!

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didnt get the deluxe premium because i put my cover on when my boat is on a lift and didnt want to deal with closing the covers over the cleats..its bad enough they moved the ratchet straps from the rear swim platform ( on my 06 yamaha) to just aft of where the tower is ...i swear im going to end up in the water one day securing the covers on the ratchet straps

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Premium whatever black with zippered plastic clear covers and a gas cap cover. It fits great, and I love the hangtyte system.
I try not to tow with it to preserve it, the only complaint would be white Yamaha paint crumbling and flaking off.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didnt get the deluxe premium because i put my cover on when my boat is on a lift and didnt want to deal with closing the covers over the cleats..its bad enough they moved the ratchet straps from the rear swim platform ( on my 06 yamaha) to just aft of where the tower is ...i swear im going to end up in the water one day securing the covers on the ratchet straps
Honestly, when using on a trailer or lift, there is no reason to ever open the cleat covers. I find it hard enough to pick that zipper tab out for the fuel cap! HA. But they call these mooring covers, as they can allow access to the cleats. But I cannot see using this on a lift. Just for the reason that it's hard to strap down. Our grey cover had the ratchets in the same place as the black. So on a trailer, it's a non issue. Other than the ratchets are almost exactly where the guide posts are on the trailer.

What we found is the snap on covers are perfect for on the lift. My definition, a mooring cover should be something you can easily put on while in the boat. The Grey and Black covers are an exercise in boat lift gymnastics. And the snap ons are a breeze. Along with the canopy on the lift, the boat is well protected. Having the other cover is great for trailering, or long term storage with sun exposure. As it covers the rear swim platform too.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the Premium whatever black with zippered plastic clear covers and a gas cap cover. It fits great, and I love the hangtyte system.
I try not to tow with it to preserve it, the only complaint would be white Yamaha paint crumbling and flaking off.
View attachment 105216
Yeah, my white paint is starting to flake now too. It's the end of the third season with it, so I'm not complaining - fabric is still in absolutely perfect condition with no signs of wear.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I leave the far side (away from the dock) ratchet strap alone, all I do is clip the connector together and I'm done. The only cleat covers I mess with are the dock side.

Anyone try doing something to stop the YAMAHA white from flaking as much....I leave the boat with white knees from kneeling on the words....was wondering if a spray sealant like Scotchguard or Starbright sealant would "fix" it???