• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2 questions 1)Thrust Vectors 2) removing pump

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with the concept of members taking care of members. I am a member and I am a jet boater also. I have helped more people on this board in my spare time, weekends and even on vacations than most anyone here. I don't mind a healthy debate as well, but I don't appreciate the tone or the language when clearly I have done nothing to deserve it. I would think that I have earned more respect than that around here.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a video of a Rotax boat in the dock. This is just by turning the wheel. I have no clue what the heck you are talking about technique. The boats just do it. The design is superior. Thats why even the twin engine boats have ONE throttle.

As far as design..... Please.... This is from your own website.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have thrust vectors on my 2015 Glastron gts207 and I went outside and pushed up on my reverse bucket as far as it would go and the fins don't hit the bucket but the bracket in the middle holding the fins together does and doesn't let the fins flip up to there full potential.
Remember that the fins only go up as far as the cross member carries them. Imagine a straight line coming out of the nozzle. That is your thrust. The u shaped band between the fins uses the thrust which acts as a solid at high speeds to provide lift. Once the cross member is sitting on top of the thrust it cannot go higher. At that point the fins are out of the water and the don't need to go higher.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@ScarabMike You have to put the throttle lever in neutral to make the boat spin like a top at the dock. If you leave the boat in forward with the gates up the boat will perform just like a Yamaha.

As for the pictures you attached, the BRP fins are almost half the size and again perform similarly but mount dissimilarly.

I think we're getting no where with this conversation and this is why I wanted you to call me.

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Remember that the fins only go up as far as the cross member carries them. Imagine a straight line coming out of the nozzle. That is your thrust. The u shaped band between the fins uses the thrust which acts as a solid at high speeds to provide lift. Once the cross member is sitting on top of the thrust it cannot go higher. At that point the fins are out of the water and the don't need to go higher.
I was new to jet boats and to me it seemed that the thrust vectors helped me with slow speed handling. I've actually told other Glastron guys about them. You can see though where the center bracket rubs back and forth on the reverse bucket because the paint is all worn off in a straight line where the bracket hits.

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
IMG_20160818_180814385.jpg Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^ There you go. Now imagine that with over 4000 lbs of force then turning. If at any time that center bracket gets caught inside the bucket, there will be no reverse or steering. That means no brakes, and no steering. Sorry, but this is a flawed design, and is unsafe for the boater, and the jet pump. Also, look at the reverse bucket, it is scraped to hell because of the Vectors. They will CLEARLY bend if a turn is taken in full speed.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You have to understand that the Fins and cross member cannot get trapped underneath the reverse bucket. We designed it so that the reverse bucket would return the Finns to the down position.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its a flawed design of a good idea. It works great on the Yamaha, but needs a redesign for the Rotax. Just admit it, and stop selling it to the Rotax folks until you get the R&D right. At this point it's a safety issue, and a liability. You can clearly see it on both member's pictures.

And unless you can guarantee that the cross member will not cause a blockage, and take responsibility if it does, then you are doing a disservice to this community Rotax owners with this product. A good vendor will take the feedback and redesign. It happens everyday. But don't come on here saying that its great, and all is well. I can tell you that if I would buy that for my brand new boat, and it does that to the reverse bucket, you would be buying a new pump nozzle and bucket.

You have to understand that the Fins and cross member cannot get trapped underneath the reverse bucket. We designed it so that the reverse bucket would return the Finns to the down position.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Briwhy I will have a look at the cross member again and see if something can be done to prevent the rubbing.

Meanwhile is there anything else that we should know about concerning the Thrust Vectors on your boat?

Also if you'd like to ship your reverse gate to me in the off season I'd gladly re-powdercoat it and return it to you.

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I know originally I sent you a email about having trouble with getting the bottom bolt on and threaded in but other members I have talked to seemed to have a different design then me. Im guessing you listened to my email and changed the way it mounted. They said there's just slipped on overtop and was fairly easy to install. An don't worry about my reverse gate not necessary at all. I appreciate you being on this site and always responding to my questions when asked.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @Briwhy. We appreciate your business!

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Thanks @Briwhy. We appreciate your business!
No problem. I do want to talk with you about getting a template made for seadek for us Glastron owners. My only concern with this stuff is it seems to get really hot in the sun. At least the stuff that is on my swim deck does. Not sure if it is true sea dek or not.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yours is called aqua Trax. It is a composite material made from a PVC base. Probably very hard and not much in the way of non skid. Does that sound about right?

I'd love to get a pattern of the Glastron Boats. I can swing you a smoking deal on SeaDek if you'll do the pattern work.

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Yeah i don't honestly know. Whatever they use from the factory. It definitely gets real hot in the sun though. Does the sea dek get hot like the other stuff?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not quite as hot but it can get uncomfortable if you choose some of the darker colors.

If you go with cool gray over storm gray it would be warm but not nearly as hot as say storm gray over black.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As far as design..... Please.... This is from your own website.

Just trying to understand what these images are....is the top one an image of something Non-Jetboatpilot? OEM equipment? If so, that design looks like it would be small enough to get stuck under the reverse bucket. The lower white design looks like it would be impossible to get up under the bucket.

In @Briwhy 's photo, it does look like the fins have rubbed on the reverse bucket and that there would be no way to prevent that from happening. I'd want to know as a buyer that this would happen....not sure if would change my buying decision, but good to know.

Can anyone get a photo of the fins being held in the up position so we could see the position of the cross bar relative to the buckets. It looks to me like the cross bar is recessed into the center of the fins so that it couldn't catch on the bucket?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Top are the TV, and yes they touch.

Just trying to understand what these images are....is the top one an image of something Non-Jetboatpilot? OEM equipment? If so, that design looks like it would be small enough to get stuck under the reverse bucket. The lower white design looks like it would be impossible to get up under the bucket.

In @Briwhy 's photo, it does look like the fins have rubbed on the reverse bucket and that there would be no way to prevent that from happening. I'd want to know as a buyer that this would happen....not sure if would change my buying decision, but good to know.

Can anyone get a photo of the fins being held in the up position so we could see the position of the cross bar relative to the buckets. It looks to me like the cross bar is recessed into the center of the fins so that it couldn't catch on the bucket?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I wonder if you have had a chance to look at the pictures and the video clip? It seems quite clear the TV fins and cross bar bracket can clear the reverse bucket(s) in Yamaha, but not those on Rotax pump. :rolleyes:

--