• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 SX230 Issues

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just sent him a video link of someone who pulls a 2013 242 pump in about 5 min... I know its newer but i assume a 2005 pump removal is pretty much the same..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just sent him a video link of someone who pulls a 2013 242 pump in about 5 min... I know its newer but i assume a 2005 pump removal is pretty much the same..
It is the same

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am hoping to have photos today of everything and pictures of what it sounds when trying to crank over.

Also, @Bruce is there a video of pulling the pump ?

Im assuming if one coil pack is bad it will try to start on one cylinder ?

Thanks for all yalls help !

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks to @Bruce for the phone call today... Unfortunately things got worse.
Thanks @bronze_10 as well for some troubleshooting tips and ideas !

I took it to a marina, where they have a guy that does yamaha jetboats and jetski's. I am hoping he can get to it tomorrow. He will be running YDS on it and pulling info for me.

This is what happened... I got there... Checked out everything and the oil resovour was almost EMPTY on the port side.
I put more in there... you can hear it try to turn... it still didnt... I pulled the plug from cylinder 2... it has no residue on it at all... I dont think its firing at all... Not sure why....

I then started the starboard motor... boom turned right on... no issue....

Went back about 15 minutes later and all I hear is CLICK CLICK.... WTF...
I couldnt get it started again..WTF... i am a little pissed as you can imagine....
I checked the batteries both 27.4 reading on both, so I dont think its that...

The tech told me that he has replaced alot of starter relays in these boats.. maybe its that... you can hear the solenoid clicking and fuel rail priming.. very very odd...

Below are two videos I took, sorry for the crappy quality..

I will keep everyone up to date on what happens..

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice Seadek!

Sounds to me as an untrained shade tree mechanic who watched a cell phone video of the problem like a starter issue. That doesn't sound like it's turning over to me. I would test the batteries too. Did you charge them in the off season or leave them in the boat?

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice Seadek!

Sounds to me as an untrained shade tree mechanic who watched a cell phone video of the problem like a starter issue. That doesn't sound like it's turning over to me. I would test the batteries too. Did you charge them in the off season or leave them in the boat?
Charged all season long on a pro sport charger never had an issue....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Marvin willis, can you share your starter and solenoid experience?

If the solenoid does not send power to the starter it will just click but I expected it to only click once per key turn.

Did you remove the pump or try turn the impeller by hand?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The pump housing can swell from corrosion between the aluminum housing and stainless liner. That would cause scraping and clanging.
This for sure!
In fact any kind of corrosion build up with such a tight tolerance can SOUND very bad. It takes very little to pull the pump. Then, run the engine on the hose for 30 seconds and see if it clears a bit, shut it down. Remember to start first, THEN turn on water. Then turn off water, THEN STOP motor. Basically, only turn water on with motor running. If it clears after a couple times, then it's just corrosion from not fogging enough, or stuff just sitting.
Honestly, I am figuring my motor will sound like it's full of marbles when I finally get it out of the garage and running. I used to start it occasionally during the winter months but this past winter I got someone with a barn to store it for me. All that did was put me behind schedule. Oh yeah, a stroke in April didn't help that schedule thing out at all either, lol.
Best to you on the scraping and clanging whatevers!

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Marvin willis, can you share your starter and solenoid experience?

If the solenoid does not send power to the starter it will just click but I expected it to only click once per key turn.

Did you remove the pump or try turn the impeller by hand?
@Bruce
I didnt pull them, even though I felt that I should.. I feel its something electrical because the port side isnt even firing.....

@speeding
I agree... It very well could be that.... very odd.... I have no clue.... Hopefully its something quick and easy and doesnt hurt my pocketbook :(

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks to @Bruce for the phone call today... Unfortunately things got worse.
Thanks @bronze_10 as well for some troubleshooting tips and ideas !

I took it to a marina, where they have a guy that does yamaha jetboats and jetski's. I am hoping he can get to it tomorrow. He will be running YDS on it and pulling info for me.

This is what happened... I got there... Checked out everything and the oil resovour was almost EMPTY on the port side.
I put more in there... you can hear it try to turn... it still didnt... I pulled the plug from cylinder 2... it has no residue on it at all... I dont think its firing at all... Not sure why....

I then started the starboard motor... boom turned right on... no issue....

Went back about 15 minutes later and all I hear is CLICK CLICK.... WTF...
I couldnt get it started again..WTF... i am a little pissed as you can imagine....
I checked the batteries both 27.4 reading on both, so I dont think its that...

The tech told me that he has replaced alot of starter relays in these boats.. maybe its that... you can hear the solenoid clicking and fuel rail priming.. very very odd...

Below are two videos I took, sorry for the crappy quality..

I will keep everyone up to date on what happens..
I had somewhat similar experience with weak battery. The video sounds like the depth warning kind of fading out when you turn the key.

I had my battery on a charger too but it was old and just wasn't holding enough oomph to be reliable. I swapped in a new one and had no probs.

Take your battery to autozone and have them run a test on it.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had somewhat similar experience with weak battery. The video sounds like the depth warning kind of fading out when you turn the key.

I had my battery on a charger too but it was old and just wasn't holding enough oomph to be reliable. I swapped in a new one and had no probs.

Take your battery to autozone and have them run a test on it.
@mark_m
I should have said that... that is true..... the depth warning does fade... what does that mean.......

Well its too late, I took it to the marina :\ to get it looked at... *sigh*

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@mark_m
I should have said that... that is true..... the depth warning does fade... what does that mean.......

Well its too late, I took it to the marina :\ to get it looked at... *sigh*
For me it was just "different" sound in the routine. I had sluggish turnover then only "click" like you had in your video. My original battery lasted 2 seasons then it was toast. Even though I did keep it on a charger in off season.... it was just dead battery. I put it on a meter and it said 12v, but when a load was put on it it dropped to 4v.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your starter is bad. It starts out not working every once and a while before dying completely. You can always pull the starter and try and turn it over not in the motor. I'm betting it's eat up with rust. In my experience any time my boat runs ruff it's ALWAYS plugs. And always seems to be the starboard that fouls plugs once a year

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've considered buying an extra starter just to have a back up. Easy to replace once you figure out how to get to the two bolts on the starter

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In fact...
Your starter is bad. It starts out not working every once and a while before dying completely. You can always pull the starter and try and turn it over not in the motor. I'm betting it's eat up with rust. In my experience any time my boat runs ruff it's ALWAYS plugs. And always seems to be the starboard that fouls plugs once a year
Does the hammer on the starter trick work?