• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2010 242 limited. No power

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So you:
  1. Replaced the starter
  2. Have confirmed the starter has power and turns when not connected to the engine? But engine doesn't turn over when starter is engaged when connected?
If the above is accurate, something in the driveline is preventing the engine from turning over. Start by pulling the pump and seeing if the engine turns then (and pray that it does) - otherwise something in the engine itself is preventing it from turning over! (which would be bad).

Yamaste19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
When the lanyard near throttle ispulled out it just stops gas from getting to engine . I have done that and port still cranks but not getting gas . Starboard still not cranking at all while lanyard is out ?

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since Lanyard. Neutral, and Hatch safety have been bypassed I consulted my service manual.

NEXT on the list according my service manual is Engine shut off switch they are push circuit breaker on the ignition Keys, should be and easy swap from good engine key side. Being honest, I'm a new Yamaha SX240 owner and my boats in FL I'm in PA right now I don't remember push button breakers on my ignition keys. Next is FUEL pump Relay, again you have a good one that can be swapped to down side.

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please let me know about another fuse box . Also port cranks no problem and turns over perfectly. Starbohas no power while cranking . Checked power to starter and I’m good but nothing after starter ?
How do you test power to starter?

ReiDiesel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have similar issue.
  • Starboard Engine always starts without any issues.
  • Port Engine does not start from time to time. Electrical Relay (#21) clicks, for about 3-5 seconds, but Starter is dead, no starter motor rotations no starter pull up relay sound...
I did bypass starter relay on red Positive cable, shortcutting directly from Battery+ to Left Red from Relay. Nothing changed so it is no Power Switch, and it is not electrical Relay (#21)...

Chcked/shaked all cables on starter itself, no results.

As one engine starts, it is NOT battery, NOT shutoff lanyard, it is NOT cleanup shutoff switch, it is NOT red positive cables.
And started works fine when it starts... the issue - it does not start all the time, after shaking in waves, going to some place, and shutting down the engine - something happens on one Port side Engine...

Took the boat to Yamaha Dealership - and they could not emulate the problem, both engines were starting normally...

However, every second ride and issue is back, cannot start one engine....
Then after sharing all cable, playing around with all the "try this try that" - both engines starts as nothing happened...

Any ideas?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would say at this point take it to Yamaha dealer and let them figure it out. The Diagnostic fee should not be much more than one hours labor.

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had similar issues. No power to starboard. I never found smoking gun, but this is what I did:

1) replaced lanyard kill switch
2) plunged the clean out port switches (just to get them moving)
3) took off the wiring harness with ground wires and inspected for corrosion, sprayed some corrosion cleaner/protector on them
4) then it fired right up and has been running ever since

we also discovered that I had spark, but no power at the fuel pump. (It fired up when we put starter fluid in intake). It was a fuel issue and figured it had to be a connection somewhere.

good luck!

I have a 2012 242 LS

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have similar issue.
  • Starboard Engine always starts without any issues.
  • Port Engine does not start from time to time. Electrical Relay (#21) clicks, for about 3-5 seconds, but Starter is dead, no starter motor rotations no starter pull up relay sound...
I did bypass starter relay on red Positive cable, shortcutting directly from Battery+ to Left Red from Relay. Nothing changed so it is no Power Switch, and it is not electrical Relay (#21)...

Chcked/shaked all cables on starter itself, no results.

As one engine starts, it is NOT battery, NOT shutoff lanyard, it is NOT cleanup shutoff switch, it is NOT red positive cables.
And started works fine when it starts... the issue - it does not start all the time, after shaking in waves, going to some place, and shutting down the engine - something happens on one Port side Engine...

Took the boat to Yamaha Dealership - and they could not emulate the problem, both engines were starting normally...

However, every second ride and issue is back, cannot start one engine....
Then after sharing all cable, playing around with all the "try this try that" - both engines starts as nothing happened...

Any ideas?
When you bypassed the starter relay it didn’t work? How did you bypass it - I had very similar issue and replaced the starter relay and all good so far

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had similar issues. No power to starboard. I never found smoking gun, but this is what I did:

1) replaced lanyard kill switch
2) plunged the clean out port switches (just to get them moving)
3) took off the wiring harness with ground wires and inspected for corrosion, sprayed some corrosion cleaner/protector on them
4) then it fired right up and has been running ever since

we also discovered that I had spark, but no power at the fuel pump. (It fired up when we put starter fluid in intake). It was a fuel issue and figured it had to be a connection somewhere.

good luck!

I have a 2012 242 LS
Same for me with a bad ground at fuel pump and wiring harness at back of engine with grounds. I fixed the ground by splicing the ground to the fuel pump and connecting it to another ground on the engine.