• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242X connext "gateway comm error"

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I got the dreaded comm error last sunday, stereo wont work. Talk to the dealer they wantedbit for 2 week.....no. the sales guy texted me to turn on the engines and off within 10 sec of the screen foing dark. Ill try on frida. I think mine said joystick com err
Jocolo21,
If yours is a joystick comm error, then it should be much easier to diagnose. On your boat, the radio and the communication with the SPU are all on the same CAN circuit as the joystick. As long as you are not also getting a radio CAN error and/or other issues related to the SPU, then you can be confidant that the problem is isolated to the joystick. Best place to start is by checking that there are no loose terminals in the connector going to the joystick and the red and black wires show 12 volts when the system is on.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Jocolo21,
If yours is a joystick comm error, then it should be much easier to diagnose. On your boat, the radio and the communication with the SPU are all on the same CAN circuit as the joystick. As long as you are not also getting a radio CAN error and/or other issues related to the SPU, then you can be confidant that the problem is isolated to the joystick. Best place to start is by checking that there are no loose terminals in the connector going to the joystick and the red and black wires show 12 volts when the system is on.
You rock brother i will check this weekend when i get back to FL. thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I traced the problem to a bad head unit, the pins on the power, ground, plug corroded and broke, reinstalled the new unit i had in the garage and coated every connector with Corrosion X, that thing work like a mirracle.
Is yours the Polk head unit that is by the swim platform?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK...got back in the country (yeah!) and delighted to find out that the dealer has already gotten to my boat (even bigger YEAH!)!

And the problem was: two blown micro fuses by the battery - one 20 amp and one 5amp. Unfortunately the tech that worked on the boat wasn't there when I picked it up so I couldn't get any more specifics than that. I plan to get in there and identify them. I got a couple of extra fuses in case they blow again - would like to know WHY they blew in the first place. Chatlee water tested the boat and fuel guage, stereo and GPS are now all working. @tek4fun thanks for your help! Hopefully this will help anyone else having a similar problem!

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK...got back in the country (yeah!) and delighted to find out that the dealer has already gotten to my boat (even bigger YEAH!)!

And the problem was: two blown micro fuses by the battery - one 20 amp and one 5amp. Unfortunately the tech that worked on the boat wasn't there when I picked it up so I couldn't get any more specifics than that. I plan to get in there and identify them. I got a couple of extra fuses in case they blow again - would like to know WHY they blew in the first place. Chatlee water tested the boat and fuel guage, stereo and GPS are now all working. @tek4fun thanks for your help! Hopefully this will help anyone else having a similar problem!
I decided to spend a little time looking into the fuses mentioned. For the most part, it makes sense. The 20 Amp fuse in the B1-2 position is for the gateway and the two power points on the boat. The 5 Amp fuse in the C1-2 position is for the Solar panel. No clear idea as to how they would have both blown while leaving the main intact. This does not tell me why the GPS was not working, but since it was having problems previously. Maybe it was just a part of the previous problem. Those fuses are the ones in the fuse box under the port rear seat by the battery switches.

I am glad for you that it was a easy fix. Just wish we could have caught it without taking it to the dealer.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 20 Amp fuse in the B1-2 position is for the gateway and the two power points on the boat. The 5 Amp fuse in the C1-2 position is for the Solar panel.
This is really helpful information! Knowing that the gateway is on the same fuse as the power points is a critical data point! I think I can now put two and two together and now know that it likely blew when I was trying to inflate a towable at the dock. The pump was the culprit!

As for he solar panels....that would explain why I was wondering if they were actually providing a charge or not! With a blown fuse, they would not!

Is there a diagram of the fuses on the boat, and which does what?
Are these mini fuses standard mini fuses, but plain black to make them look cool?

The GPS issue has been intermittent. I was suspecting a bad connection on that one as it would come and go. While behind the helm checking all the connections back there, I unplugged the GPS antenna and reseated it carefully.....it is possible that was all it needed. Time will tell on this one. But since I just finished installing a Garmin Echomap 94SV, I am less worried about the boat's GPS speed reading.

THANK YOU for all your help!!!! This helps not just me, but others who will seek this information in the future!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On my boat the a slot 20 amp is for the polk head unit and connext. The b slot 20 amp is for both 12v cig outlets. High flow Air and portable ballast pumps use to like to blow the b slot fuse for me. Permanently mounted and dedicated circuit air pump fixed the air pump issue. Custom inline fused 12 volt extension cord with switch at the end and plug direct to the batteries fixed for anything else I may need.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn, this is a great thread and info, guys!
@tek4fun and @Mainah I so appreciate your input, we deal with a tube inflation devices often enough somethings got to go wrong at some point. Now I will have at least a vague idea how to troubleshoot, of course it will happen in the middle of a big lake, lol.

Sean Clements

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am having similar issues and am not sure where else to look. Started getting error messages about 10 minutes into my first time out on boat this year. No issues last year. Had both batteries checked and they are good. Checked fuses and all connections...E136F749-20B7-41B3-A93D-9C3F21484CCB.jpegC83382B9-DCB4-4A35-B84D-3719C3CDDF32.jpegE136F749-20B7-41B3-A93D-9C3F21484CCB.jpegE136F749-20B7-41B3-A93D-9C3F21484CCB.jpegC83382B9-DCB4-4A35-B84D-3719C3CDDF32.jpeg051D0821-083A-41A8-A088-D957E66DFE2A.jpeg776EFE5B-D4C8-4D58-96A9-61AE8F29FA7E.jpeg5367D301-C13B-4944-AD50-B0F6D628FE8A.jpegE136F749-20B7-41B3-A93D-9C3F21484CCB.jpegC83382B9-DCB4-4A35-B84D-3719C3CDDF32.jpeg1D617E36-241A-4FA5-BD0D-2FD8A0B3E1E7.jpeg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Radio, joystick, horn not working. Lights are turning on by themselves.
First thing I notice is you've not muted the alarm ....you can do that by pressing the speaker symbol.

Have you tried replacing the fuses....just in case they are blown? The gateway is back by the batteries and has a strange connection....have you pulled that and reseated? Do you have power to the gateway as @tek4fun pointed out to me?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just got my boat back from the dealer to diagnose the intermittent gps speed control lock issue it's been having. Seems the GPS antenna was the problem....replaced it (under warranty) and they claim it is now working with no issues. (I haven't water tested it myself yet)

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Julian....Let us know how it goes once you get it out on the water. I'll be curious to see how/if this is fixed.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the boat spent the winter at the dealer for basic servicing , and to get the GPS ERR fixed. They replaced the gps antenna, and this is the result (not fixed)

Driving me bonkers that they cant fix this!!!!

@tek4fun Any ideas?

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the boat spent the winter at the dealer for basic servicing , and to get the GPS ERR fixed. They replaced the gps antenna, and this is the result (not fixed)

Driving me bonkers that they cant fix this!!!!

@tek4fun Any ideas?
With the way the speed is so randomly showing Err, it makes me think of a wiring issue (Ex. loose terminal, corrosion). I think I remember you saying that you already checked the wiring though. I doubt it would be the power and ground wires for the GPS puck or you would have issues with other devices. That would narrow it down to the orange NMEA0183 wire which only runs from the GPS puck to the back of the port gauge or as a long shot it could be the NMEA0183 ground to the port gauge that is routed through the resistor block (position A5-6) with a 4.7k Ohm resistor. This resistor block is the one by the SPU in the starboard side storage compartment. I will continue to think about this one. Hopefully, I can come up with more ideas for you.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With the way the speed is so randomly showing Err, it makes me think of a wiring issue (Ex. loose terminal, corrosion). I think I remember you saying that you already checked the wiring though. I doubt it would be the power and ground wires for the GPS puck or you would have issues with other devices. That would narrow it down to the orange NMEA0183 wire which only runs from the GPS puck to the back of the port gauge or as a long shot it could be the NMEA0183 ground to the port gauge that is routed through the resistor block (position A5-6) with a 4.7k Ohm resistor. This resistor block is the one by the SPU in the starboard side storage compartment. I will continue to think about this one. Hopefully, I can come up with more ideas for you.
OK, so since they just replaced the GPS puck, I should first check the port gauge orange wire, then the resistor block. WIll look into both of those next time I'm at the boat. Thanks!

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian does it show the ERR when you're not moving? Or only when the boat is being jostled while underway?

It seems too regular to be a connection issue to me. The fact that it developed over time (no issues originally) tends to lead itself to being a hardware issue of some kind, however, I don't think software can be ruled out. It almost seems like an interrupt priority or NMEA stream parsing issue of some kind.

I'd recommend asking the dealer to try and get in touch with Mother Yamaha about it (with the link to your video). Hopefully they have better insight into this issue.