• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242X Solar panels not working

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yamaha's quality control is in need of some major work. I agree with @RiverRat , they have to be using a charge controller, if they aren't I would highly suggest installing one.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have no clue? There is a junction in the middle of the 2 panels, it may be in there.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes that box in the middle is the solar panel charge controller.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it possible this is indeed a systematic issue with the solar panel setup (similar to what was the sys/aux voltage display bug)? We have heard about solar panel issues for two years now so who knows, it could be.

In which case it would be a good example of a systemic problem there.

But who cares. If you subscribe to Yamaha legal theory of fixing mechanical issues - it's all good.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just want my boat to work properly and not wait for the dealer to do it while I have boating weather out. If I can fix it I will, and I will make a list of the things that I want the dealer to fix in the off season, which is just the GPS right now is off by 2 mph and I want that dang bag to fill more with out me doing it manually.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Jerry, if you can,open that controller box between the panels and see how it's wired there. Or at least snap a pic for future reference. I've come across many solar panels hooked up to a controller incorrectly at work over the years. Usually just swap em to the correct position and good to go. If you're now charging correctly though after you swapped the cables at the battery you probably found the problem already.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Jerry, if you can,open that controller box between the panels and see how it's wired there. Or at least snap a pic for future reference. I've come across many solar panels hooked up to a controller incorrectly at work over the years. Usually just swap em to the correct position and good to go. If you're now charging correctly though after you swapped the cables at the battery you probably found the problem already.
I just have it hooked to one battery with going thru the switches so I will find out tonight after I get home. If I can swap oy up there I will because I want my boat wiring to be correct and not have to relabel.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So checked the battery after work today.

20170829_161815.jpg

So YES it is charging now!

Went up top and pulled the cover

20170829_165613.jpg

So I swapped the positive and negative lead and hooked everything back up. When the starter battery wasn't hooked up the red light was blinking indicating it was charging the house battery and when I hooked up the starter battery it went off indicating it was charging the starter battery. All is right in the world again and I can get some sleep now.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So checked the battery after work today.

View attachment 63363

So YES it is chaging now!

Went up top and pulled the cover

View attachment 63364

So I swapped the positive and negative lead and hooked everything back up. When the starter battery wasn't hooked up the red light was blinking indicating it was charging the house battery and when I hooked up the starter battery it went off indicating it was charging the starter battery. All is right in the world again and I can get some sleep now.
So what are the wires labeled and where were they connected?

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it possible this is indeed a systematic issue with the solar panel setup (similar to what was the sys/aux voltage display bug)? We have heard about solar panel issues for two years now so who knows, it could be.

In which case it would be a good example of a systemic problem there.

But who cares. If you subscribe to Yamaha legal theory of fixing mechanical issues - it's all good.

--
I haven't did a search on solar panel issues, but if Yamaha isn't using some type of solar controllers you are going to have issues with charging the batteries and possibly the onboard electronics. From the photos the box between the panels is just a junction box. Not knowing the specs on the solar panels, they may have some type of controller built it, but I doubt that is the case since they are paralleling the panels and one of the photos is showing over. One of the earlier photos showed that the panels were putting out over 17 volts, this is way too much. A solar controller will control the voltage output to the batteries to keep them from being overcharged. The other issue I see, and it's the biggest issue, from what I'm reading the wires from the junction box are going directly to the batteries, so if your panels are putting out over 17 volts all of your electronics are getting that same voltage which they may not be designed for. I have done a lot of 24VDC solar panel designs for gas well sites and most of the electronics that we use can only tolerate 30VDC without failing.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven't did a search on solar panel issues, but if Yamaha isn't using some type of solar controllers you are going to have issues with charging the batteries and possibly the onboard electronics. From the photos the box between the panels is just a junction box. Not knowing the specs on the solar panels, they may have some type of controller built it, but I doubt that is the case since they are paralleling the panels and one of the photos is showing over. One of the earlier photos showed that the panels were putting out over 17 volts, this is way too much. A solar controller will control the voltage output to the batteries to keep them from being overcharged. The other issue I see, and it's the biggest issue, from what I'm reading the wires from the junction box are going directly to the batteries, so if your panels are putting out over 17 volts all of your electronics are getting that same voltage which they may not be designed for. I have done a lot of 24VDC solar panel designs for gas well sites and most of the electronics that we use can only tolerate 30VDC without failing.
I agree with @ripler. It would seem that there is not a charge controller. Something like this is what you need in line between the solar panel outputs and batteries.

Solar Controller 10a 12v/24v Solar Charge Controller Yueton Solar Panel Battery Regu... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010FNO9NU/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_r7GPzb5RZG0XQ

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So what are the wires labeled and where were they connected?
The sp1 I think was behind the start battery switch on the wall, the g1 was on the starter battery.

I agree with you guys but since I do not have a schematic I have to assume Yamaha knows what they are doing and they have one somewhere. I don't think my system has seen 17 volts because when hooked up to the battery the battery only reads 12.xx. I think the panels are acting like an alternator and over clocking themselves to get the charge up on whatever it may be.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Went to start the boat this weekend after it sitting in my driveway all week in the direct sun ( I didn't put it in my canopy because I knew we were going out this weekend ) and it was slow starting! Is there any way to unplug the panels to test and see and then move down the line? I did check to see if there was a fuse and there was, it had power from both sides so I knew it was good also. My red light on my DSVR isn't red like I have read on other posts.

@Mainah ??? You seem to know the electrical system on these boats quite well.
Would love a picture of the canopy!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Oh, and i know most solar panels i have seen that small have a regulator or controller built into the frame. Perhaps it is 2 such units both tied to one set of wires going to batteries.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would love a picture of the canopy!
What view would you like?

I am going to look at the panels tonight and see if I can find a name on them so I can see if they have a built in controller or not. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!! That controller that @Mainah posted is cheap enough to just put inline if I needed to.

Last edited:

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is the only diagram and really the only mention of the solar panels I can find in the service manual. I cant believe they don't have a controller, that is just plain wrong.
Just found the second pic, but we proved this wrong, the panels charge the batteries even if switches are off.

Solar Wiring.JPG

Yamaha Solar Panels 2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And "only when in the on position" is wrong also. Mine was wired to the battery side so they were always charging.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
17 volts tells me that if there is a charge controller that it is not working properly. I guess it is possible that there is one but it fried from reverse polarity. As mentioned 17 volts could damage the batteries or electronics on the boat. 14.4 volts sould be the max voltage allowed. The charge controller that I posted is based on a educated guess that those panels are not putting out more than 10amps.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
And "only when in the on position" is wrong also. Mine was wired to the battery side so they were always charging.
Or that is how 2016 models were wired, and the manual hasn't been updated to show they moved it to the other side of the switch....