• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 242X Solar panels not working

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What view would you like?

I am going to look at the panels tonight and see if I can find a name on them so I can see if they have a built in controller or not. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!! That controller that @Mainah posted is cheap enough to just put inline if I needed to.
Just wanna see how people store these huge boats! I may not get the size garage door i want for the boat i want so i need to look at alternatives!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just wanna see how people store these huge boats! I may not get the size garage door i want for the boat i want so i need to look at alternatives!
I store mine in the water a few mintutes down the road at a marina. It is not a covered marina so uncovering and covering everytime
out is a real PIA. Also lake gas is $4/gal vs $2/gal on land so to make using the boat more economical we cart VIP jugs to the boat. When I was up in Maine I stored it in my backyard with a cover and had it shrink wrapped over the tower for winter. Shrink wrapping alone will run you $300/yr or more so perhaps that oversized garage door is looking better again.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have my tent. I love it!!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So here are the solar panels on the 242X. They do not have a built in controller. I guess I know what is next on the mod list. On a positive note, I went out to the boat last night and both batteries were sitting pretty at 12.76 volts and the DSVR red light was on indicating charging the house battery.

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-ENERGY-Ganz-Eco-Energy-Semi-Flexible-Solar/dp/B00FWS4KKG

Julian if you have a voltage drain I would HIGHLY recommend looking here. ( At the boats wiring )

*Edited to avoid confusion later.*

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So one of the selling features on the flagship boat was both designed wrong (no controller) and installed wrong (reverse polarity). This is going to affect the batteries. I wonder if this is also causing the gps speed control issues when out on the water in full sun by suppling too much voltage. The 10 amp controller that I posted earlier will handle the load just fine as those are just 1 amp panels for a total of 2 amps. A 2.5 or 5 amp controller would work as well but I think 10 amp is more common and therefore cheaper.

So who is going to post the warning and a faq for all pre 2018 242 e/x owners to add a controller and check the polarity?

Who is still having those gos speed issues? I truly wonder if this fixes it.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So here are the solar panels on the 242X. They do not have a built in controller. I guess I know what is next on the mod list. On a positive note, I went out to the boat last night and both batteries were sitting pretty at 12.76 volts and the DSVR red light was on indicating charging the house battery.

Julian if you have a voltage drain I would HIGHLY recommend looking here.

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-ENERGY-Ganz-Eco-Energy-Semi-Flexible-Solar/dp/B00FWS4KKG
So according to the manual I found on the net , as long as you are charging a battery rated 110 amp hours and above you will be OK, if you are charging a smaller battery you would need a charge controller. The other thing the manual says is that it has built in diodes, which prevents voltage travelling from the batteries to the panel when the panels aren't charging, this will prevent battery drainage. A couple of interesting things I found in the manual is that they recommend only using on deep cycle batteries and that they are low peak voltage panels only put out a maximum of 15.3 volts.
So these solar panels should be OK as long as you use deep cycle batteries and the panels are wired right.

The issue is that I bet nowhere does the manual tell you to use deep cycle batteries that are at least 110 amp hour.

Link to the manual.

http://www.cbcamerica.com/microsite/misc/Marine Grade inst Oct 11(1).pdf

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Disclosure: I am not an EE, I don't have much experience with solar panels, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I get why the manaual says a comtroller is not needed. Application matters though and the e/x series have complex canbus systems. Canbus systems can be sensitive to volatge, particularly 2 wire communciation. I have a suspicion based upon the work that @jcyamaharider has done and the multiple canbus components that I know are on the boat that a controller is a good idea. That plus a 17 volt reading is certainly out of spec. If it were me I would install a controller.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Heck yeah great work guys!!!! Way smarter then me at this electronic stuff. I will most defiantly be putting in a controller now!

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok fellows, I think I am getting down to brass tax and I think they have my wires backwards. I took some pics and I also show meter readings.

Will I be safe to invert the two wires?

Normal hook up you can see it has a negative meter reading.

View attachment 63292

I then covered up the panels to make sure I was on the correct wires

View attachment 63293

I then took both of the wires off of the battery totally and inversed my meter. So positive lead to ground wire.... etc.

View attachment 63294

View attachment 63295

This should be the correct way!!!!

Hit me back quick to confirm I am not crazy. I am electrically dumb.

Thanks,
Jerry
Ok so if 15.3v is what the manual says, based on your pics it looks like their manual is wrong also. :banghead::banghead::banghead::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
15.3 is what the solar charger states as well.

20170830_165158.jpg

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You are saying that we have the GSP-12, 15.75"x 14", 15.3v. Did you measure your panels? I cant get to mine. Based on the voltage you read in your other post (17.68v) do we have the GSP-30, 22" x 20.5" ; 17.2v?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That voltage is for one panel, does it increase when you tie 2 together, it shouldn't right?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is kind of crazy that this issue has only came into full discussion 2 years after the first model. I figured someone elsewhere would have found this issue by now. I cannot be the first.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't had any issues and thought that a controller is a no brainer. I wouldn't install a solar panel without a controller.