• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 AR 195 max speed 62 mph?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Notice it says maptunerx bundle. I thought you were talking just the stage 1 kit by itself for the SHO and SVHO. Yes many have tested impellers on here and it's hard to beat the stock impeller. I would never run a Solas impeller for fear it would grenade like others have on here. We are all here to learn nobody trying to get into a measuring contest lol. As you have read not all PWC mods and tricks can apply to these boats but a lot can. My main point was a 195 is not going to hit 62+ stock just like my 192 didn't hit 54 mph stock on its highest top speed. Cushions and all that isn't going to make that big of a deal with top speed or at least not 10 mph worth. I just think it's a fluke number like I'm sure many of these boats have in their gauges. Just remember that RIVA is a PWC-centric site. The performance numbers they post are from skis and not heavy, big boats. I'd take whatever numbers they post for speed increase and divide it by like 3 or 4.

Last edited:

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I’m up here in Connecticut and on the Connecticut River is where I do most of my boating. With a full tank of fuel my girlfriend and I and all our gear I’m able to hit 53mph with no mods with the exception of dual battery setup and stereo system. I’m assuming if it was me by myself with a half a tank of fuel I probably had close to 55. That’s on the river that’s almost like glass with an air temp of 80. It’s going to be almost 100 this weekend so I’m definitely expecting performance numbers to drop!!

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My is about 52mph. But knowing what it takes to just squeeze out a couple more mph, over 60 seems really unlikely.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
60 would be very easy in a 195. I'm doing it at 12 psi boost in a 192. The 195's can run up to 15 psi boost depending on rpm. A stripped down 195 with a tune would most likely run 62 mph.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Mine still shows a top speed of 60mph love it. I always show it off to newbies, I just don't tell them that was most likely on the trailer. I'm normally hitting 51 on the wisho meter but I've have issues hitting 50 with the cobra fin installed. Might be the fullish tank or wind etc either way I still want more mph. But with premium 91 gas going for 1.45 a L or I'm guessing that's low $5 a gallon I just can't see me wanting most boost. It was a selling feature to me buying a left over 16 vs 17.

Sly J

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m up here in Connecticut and on the Connecticut River is where I do most of my boating. With a full tank of fuel my girlfriend and I and all our gear I’m able to hit 53mph with no mods with the exception of dual battery setup and stereo system. I’m assuming if it was me by myself with a half a tank of fuel I probably had close to 55. That’s on the river that’s almost like glass with an air temp of 80. It’s going to be almost 100 this weekend so I’m definitely expecting performance numbers to drop!!
My best is 53.3mph solo.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hell, I’m tempted to turn an engine or both on and hit the freeway until the next exit just to record a great high speed.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
60 would be very easy in a 195. I'm doing it at 12 psi boost in a 192. The 195's can run up to 15 psi boost depending on rpm. A stripped down 195 with a tune would most likely run 62 mph.
Do you know what the stock psi boost is set at on the 195's?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
11-12 psi @ 7700 rpm.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another way you might get to 62mph on GPS is if you are running down stream in a river with 10mph of current! Or going over a waterfall! Otherwise the only way you are going to see this is on the trailer.

70raven

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know my 2018 AR195 with my wife me and every compartment full of fishing gear or fun gear, read 57mph on smooth water, with Bimi top acting like a wind catcher. So empty, ( two anchors, two tubes, cooler, 10 vests est. 400ft of rope, tackle box and seven poles) all taken off and bimi down. I don't think 60 is out of the question! (On smooth water) that's also with two captain chairs.

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I agree! One thing that I’ve learned is that for approximately every 125 pounds of weight added over my normal weight, I lose 1 mile an hour of my normal top speed of 53mph (normal = 2 people, full tank of fuel, gear, 80 degree air temp, sea level, & 73 degree water temperature). What I’ve been hearing is that a tune that raises the rev limiter to 8100 on a stock SVHO will increase overall hp by 10%. If this holds true it should raise the top speed from 53 to 59 with a normal load.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat, brand new bone stock 2016 192 with zero hours on it showed a max speed of 62. I have no illusions that my boat has ever traveled this fast on water using it's own power under any factory testing conditions. I hesitate to think Yamaha would endanger their employees and their unsold merchandise by having them test boats in such a manner.

No matter how much some of us (me included) would wish otherwise, these are intended to be multi-purpose family oriented boats and not speed demons. But at least they come with a respectable amount of room for improvement if the owner so chooses.

Being in the electronics field myself, I imagine that factory testing includes quality control testing of the paddle wheel. I think they may test the speed measuring capability after the wheel is connected with the ECU to ensure it tests and transmits vessel speed with "reasonable" accuracy up to X speed.

The paddle easily unthreads from the socket and I imagine that they have a piece of test gear that can simulate water flow by mechanically spinning the paddle wheel to ensure it tracks speed. Alternatively, they may simply use an electrical test signal straight to the ECU to ensure the system works given that a paddlewheel is a fairly disposable wear item.

Given that members here have reported different speeds as maximum, I wonder if max speed is even the max speed the paddlewheel has ever been spun, or simply the maximum speed that particular paddlewheel or ECU is calibrated to accurately display.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The bigger boats have similarly reported, unreachable speeds, and they use GPS speedometers, not paddle wheels. I'd imagine they are tested pretty barebones. No interior, accessories, etc...

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree! One thing that I’ve learned is that for approximately every 125 pounds of weight added over my normal weight, I lose 1 mile an hour of my normal top speed of 53mph (normal = 2 people, full tank of fuel, gear, 80 degree air temp, sea level, & 73 degree water temperature). What I’ve been hearing is that a tune that raises the rev limiter to 8100 on a stock SVHO will increase overall hp by 10%. If this holds true it should raise the top speed from 53 to 59 with a normal load.
I would be interest to find more about that tune, do you have any more information?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks for the link, after watching the video my only concern is that it didn't look like it saves of the factory tune if you need to revert back.
Yes you can reload the factory tune for dealer service.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes you can reload the factory tune for dealer service.
great now I just need to sell it to the wife who already thinks the boat goes fast enough!