• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 LSE BCU Error

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well....got the dreaded BCU error with only 6hrs on my 2019 242 LSE. I had just made a run from the marina to a swimming hole when the check engine light came on and alarm started to sound.
I tried resetting it by disconnecting and switching the battery off multiple times, but given the conditions (traffic, congestion, etc on Memorial Day weekend), couldn’t get it to reset quickly and didn’t have a lot of maneuvering space.

This particular error would not allow any throttle response or shifting of the gears on the Starboard Engine.

Wound up limping back to the dock on 1 engine with the other in “no wake mode” so I could run barely on a plane. Made docking into the slip a major PITA on one functioning engine.

Once I got it up in the lift, started diagnosing the issue. On the LSE when the engines are off, the buckets return home to the full up position (basically forward). On the Starboard engine, it appeared to be “stuck” in the reverse position. I checked for debris, didn’t see anything and the bucket appeared to have some play in it, so don’t think it was jammed.

Anyway, after turning the batteries off and on several times along with the key, the starboard bucket returned to “home” and the errors cleared. My batteries are new, on a float charger, topped off and in the upper 12V when just sitting idle and where in the low 14’s when the error occurred.

Seems like there is a software glitch or something out of range that is causing it to error out and go into safe mode. When I take it in for the 10hr, I’ll have the dealer look at it and see if there is an update. Have many others experienced something similar?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wonder if there was maybe some debri causing issues when the error first happened, but came loose shortly after.

Yamaha might consider updating the connext logic to accommodate a lift gate check or reset when the error occurs with the engines off. That way you can at least diagnose and try to clear the condition. Turning the batteries off and start stopping the engine several times is not really optimal.

If I get the error again, I’ll try to do some additional troubleshooting and see if there is a solid procedure that can be followed to clear it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed. The problem was, the error didn’t specify what the issue was, just that it was a BCU error. It wasn’t until the boat was in the lift that you could see what the potential issue was and narrow it down to the lift gates on the jet.

Definitely have a better starting point next time. Need to find an easier/quicker way to reset the error.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I've had the same problem with my 2019 242 Limited S e series. Took to dealer immediately after first outing. They claimed that they fixed it within 15 mins. I told them to keep it a week and talk to Yamaha. I picked it up after a week or so and same problem. Shortly thereafter, Yamaha issued a recall notice. There's a post here somewhere about that. I took back to same dealer. They told me fixed. I took out next day same problem. I've been communicating with Yamaha Manf contact who has basically given me the run around and told me to take to another dealer. Yesterday I dropped it off at another local dealer (Riva Pompano) and they explained to me that it is a sort of calibration/software issue. That is, when the bucket hits something it basically throws the software for a loop and needs to be reset. The BCU is basically telling you that bucket is out of whack. Thus, one bucket up the other down. This is unacceptable as I am not going to run the reset each outing (and most likely multiple times each outing). I understand that buckets are going to hit things, but jeesh. This has caused 95% of our outings to be a waste of time. Nobody wants to go out on my boat because of this. I am hopeful that new dealer has a solution. If not, I'm out and seeking remedy. Not what I spent $70k for.

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The error hasn’t returned to my boat, but mine was affected by the recall and I did the cable swap myself as the boat was already in the water and we really didn’t want to haul out to the dealer. I’m going to do some additional research as time permits, but the cables seem to be in a little bit of a bind in the e-shift housing. It took some adjusting when swapping the cables for the recall, but to me it just didn’t seem to fit perfect. What I’m thinking is happening is that the force required due to the cables being in a little bit of a bind, exceeds the limit of the software in the right conditions (ie fwd/rev rapid movement with varying engine rpms). This throws the error code and is a PITA to reset. If Yamaha would program “reset” routine into the connext software, it would make the errors easier to overcome. As it stands now, it takes several starts and stops along with battery disconnects to reset it. It resets, but not easily.

The dealer did check the cables when I took it in for the 10hr service and they said no change required and everything I had done was correct.

Hopefully Yamaha can come up with a software update to allow us to reset the error and have it go through a “gate check” so that we can go about the day without jumping through hoops to get it out of limp mode.

Singletary12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well....got the dreaded BCU error with only 6hrs on my 2019 242 LSE. I had just made a run from the marina to a swimming hole when the check engine light came on and alarm started to sound.
View attachment 95281
I tried resetting it by disconnecting and switching the battery off multiple times, but given the conditions (traffic, congestion, etc on Memorial Day weekend), couldn’t get it to reset quickly and didn’t have a lot of maneuvering space.

This particular error would not allow any throttle response or shifting of the gears on the Starboard Engine.

Wound up limping back to the dock on 1 engine with the other in “no wake mode” so I could run barely on a plane. Made docking into the slip a major PITA on one functioning engine.
View attachment 95282

Once I got it up in the lift, started diagnosing the issue. On the LSE when the engines are off, the buckets return home to the full up position (basically forward). On the Starboard engine, it appeared to be “stuck” in the reverse position. I checked for debris, didn’t see anything and the bucket appeared to have some play in it, so don’t think it was jammed.

Anyway, after turning the batteries off and on several times along with the key, the starboard bucket returned to “home” and the errors cleared. My batteries are new, on a float charger, topped off and in the upper 12V when just sitting idle and where in the low 14’s when the error occurred.

Seems like there is a software glitch or something out of range that is causing it to error out and go into safe mode. When I take it in for the 10hr, I’ll have the dealer look at it and see if there is an update. Have many others experienced something similar?
Yes! I haven’t even made my first payment and it’s happened 3 times! One time got stranded and had to get towed back because neither jet would go into gear. I took it back to Skipper Buds to have them look at it and they said it was fixed. This has been very frustrating as I am new to Yamaha. I have only owned I/O boats and I have to say so far I am very disappointed with my purchase. Especially at the cost of 76k.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
See Yamaha Technical Bulletin 4/2/19 - B2019-001R "Certain 2019-Model SAT1800E ("242X E-Series") and SAT1800F ("242 Limited S E-Series") Boats Factory Modification Campaign - Shift Cable Installation. I'll upload when I get a chance.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
See Yamaha Technical Bulletin 4/2/19 - B2019-001R "Certain 2019-Model SAT1800E ("242X E-Series") and SAT1800F ("242 Limited S E-Series") Boats Factory Modification Campaign - Shift Cable Installation. I'll upload when I get a chance.

Attachments

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I got the BCU error again today! 😡

After disconnecting the batteries finally got it all clear. Boat ran fine the rest of the afternoon.

BUT, I found a possible link....need to do more experimenting but think the BCU error has to do with the way the push button start/stop is working. My daughter pushed the starboard button a few times when I asked her to shut it down before she held it down an extended time to get the engine to shutdown...BAM...BCU error. It reminded me of a similar situation when the error occurred originally.

This leads me to believe that it may not be a gate issue but an improper shutdown throwing the code caused by the attempts/length of holding the start/stop button.

When I get some time maybe the BCU error can be re-created on command. That should at least help the dealers fix the root cause.

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well....was able to get the BCU error again, but unintentionally. This is getting real old disconnecting the batteries for 15 mins so it can reset. When we get back from vacation, it’s going to the dealer for this...again.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I've taken mine to the dealer 3 times. Picked up last time on July 2 and they gave me the Bulletin that I attached in this thread. Took out on Lake July 5. Worked well no BCU or other issues. Took it out of water and buckets were not aligned again so not sure if I'm going to have same problem when I take it out again. Best of luck.

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Think I may have found the trigger. Not sure what is exactly causing it and will investigate it once it’s on the trailer after vacation, but was able to prevent anymore BCU errors throughout the remainder of the trip (~12hrs of use with lots of starts and stops).

The BCU error would occur when the wheel was turned at or almost all the way to the right or the left AND the engines were shut down. As long as I keep the wheel fairly straight and then shut the engines down, no BCU error, but when I shut the engines down when wheel turned almost one way or the other...BAM, BCU error.

Going to see if I can determine what the root cause may be, but thought it would be good to get out there what seemed to work for me.

Will update after more investigation.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
hmmm. I'm taking mine out next week and I'll see if this happens again. Gotta tell you, if it does, I'm inclined to force them to take it back. It's been in shop 3 times in 4 months. I'm hoping that was the last of it. Can't imagine paying 70k for a new car to have same annoyances. No one would stand for it.

Cigarlaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Brought the boat this week to St Augustine for our yearly family vacation and boom BCU error again. @seabrooktx 's comments above now make a lot of sense. I had to disconnect the batteries to reset. When approaching dock and turning off engines it seemed to set off BCU message. Could be the way I pushed the engines off and/or the position of the steering wheel.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have this same issue with my 242x. I didn’t pay attention to steering but it only happens when I am launching or returning to dock. So clearly it’s to do with the reverse bucket which maybe when steering is full left or right is jamming or binding causing the BCU to error.

I dread taking the boat in and having them tell me they can’t reproduce or it’s my fault somehow and have the boat sitting there for an unknown amount of time.. curious what other dealers are saying or doing about this problem.

Sadly I just used my ballast for the first time this weekend and had starboard transom ballast not fill. Seems pump is flaky. Then got s “seacock valve obstruction errror and constant error sound” forcing me to reset batteries to clear error.. fiddled around and read forums.. not much on that one but my point is electronic everything and BCU is crazy..

Mike

pmac

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2018 242x with the same issue. BCU error also seacock valve obstruction. Also my port and starboard ballast fill but not the middle ballast
Im glad I found this forum because I was going to take it to the dealer tomorrow. A couple resets and disconnects of the batteries and the bucket returned. Have 60 hrs on it and nothing but problems, all program issues.

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had our first BCU error on our first day out; right at 5.5 hours on 2019 242x. Ours happened while maneuvering to the fuel dock, was in reverse, full lock on the wheel. Error came right as I killed the engines.
Based on the small dataset in this thread, I’m guessing it’s some very particular combination of things when reversing. Next outing will try and reproduce to see if I can narrow it down.

Had the seacock error on test drive, dealer said they would clear it up. Haven’t had it since but still...

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We all need to come together and figure this out to reproduce. I’m betting a simple tolerance modification to the BCU code will solve the issue. Just need it all reported to Yamaha.. I’m going to spend Sunday trying to reproduce. Call your dealers!
M