• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Release coming soon!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't see any of these embedded videos from Julian or swat. I try to play them but it just goes black when I mash the play button.
Same here. I just gave up. Bummer

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Both work fine on my end

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same here. I just gave up. Bummer
I ended up having to find the surf one on the jetboaters FB page and it would load fine there but on here it doesn't work for me. Couldn't find the video @Julian showed.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
RE-videos not playing - I assume you have Facebook accounts and are logged into them? I found the long one by just doing a search on FB for "River Valley Power", then opening their page and scrolling down.

Ian Andrews

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’m also very interested in seeing how the new steering enhancement works on the single engine boats. Hopefully someone will test the new factory product and confirm if it will fit pre 2019 Yamaha’ s.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m also very interested in seeing how the new steering enhancement works on the single engine boats. Hopefully someone will test the new factory product and confirm if it will fit pre 2019 Yamaha’ s.
At best I think it would just be on par with the lateral thrusters already on the market and likely more expensive.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
RE-videos not playing - I assume you have Facebook accounts and are logged into them? I found the long one by just doing a search on FB for "River Valley Power", then opening their page and scrolling down.
Yes I have it and logged in. It's strange as most of the embedded videos work for me but not these two. On yours I can get it to play but only audio, screen remains black with the play button icon in the middle. I'll just search for it thanks.

Edit - as of this morning the videos are playing and working on here. go figure :D

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, I'm with you! However, not going to happen with a Yamaha, not with current generation/models.
I have tried about as hard as anyone here...

Not to brag, but I think I have about as robust of a ballast system, automated/built-in, as anyone.
(I do not know what else is conceivable in any 24ft yammie - three built in 800lbs bags each w/dedicated high speed reversible pumps, plus a separate aux pump for the swim deck, etc. - all controllable from the helm)

Yet - with all that - there is no way I could go ropeless (comfortably) without the Gatlin wedge and the custom swim deck bag...

--
I’m thinking lead may be a good option on these boats. Only down side to lead is it’s always on the boat. I wonder how much lead you could put in the rear swimdeck lockers?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At best I think it would just be on par with the lateral thrusters already on the market and likely more expensive.
IDK, I like the "balanced" approach Yamaha is taking here. Wish they went all the way a la RiDE system, but having a factory nozzle/bucket that improves both lateral and reverse thrust is a winner. It's also impervious to being potentially clogged, something that I would worry about with LTs.

What I do NOT understand is why would Yamaha not add fins to this design??? I just don't get it.
Something with a functionality of Cobra Ulitmates/AKs, or Vipers - always down so helping the steering both at no wake and at speed/in turns with no thrust needed.

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
IDK, I like the "balanced" approach Yamaha is taking here. Wish they went all the way a la RiDE system, but having a factory nozzle/bucket that improves both lateral and reverse thrust is a winner. It's also impervious to being potentially clogged, something that I would worry about with LTs.

What I do NOT understand is why would Yamaha not add fins to this design??? I just don't get it.
Something with a functionality of Cobra Ulitmates/AKs, or Vipers - always down so helping the steering both at no wake and at speed/in turns with no thrust needed.

--
I'm still not convinced that the nozzles I've seen in the pictures will really amount to much improvement over the existing, just doesn't seem drastic enough change create a different enough thrust pattern to be any type of game changer. But pictures can be deceiving and certainly don't tell the whole story, I'll be interested to see some reviews in the near future.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Yamaha is so hung up on "intuitive" steering that they are blind to how bad they handle.

As I've said before, my 98' SeaDoo Challenger handled so much better in neutral and reverse.

I think something that works good would be better than "intuitive".

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at that Spartan helm... IDK...
upload_2018-8-17_16-48-24.png

I don't have the skills some here do... but I will be keeping my "AR" for now.
upload_2018-8-17_16-49-7.png

--

JBlue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
@swatski taking the money out of the equation... thoughts on the new X series for surfing? Looks promising?

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I think it def looks promising from the videos. Needs to clean up the lip a bit, but it looks decently long and seems to have good push. I've seen some dam good waves on this forum from Yamaha boats. I love this place, with this forum I'd be scratching my head trying to figure out why all this weight isn't working.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski taking the money out of the equation... thoughts on the new X series for surfing? Looks promising?
The new Yamaha X Series boat with the Wake Booster package is attractive!
It looks like it may, for the first time, deliver out-of-the-box surf-ability behind a Yamaha.

That said, my money is still on Gatlin aftermarket mods.

Lets face it, there are those who can surf almost any wake, ropeless! Not me. I need all the help I can get - behind a Yamaha. The Gatlin Wake Wedge and their custom bag have proven track record at this point - turning these boats into decent surf machines.

(Just for entertainment value)
here is my completely tangential take on surfing an X (from my perspective as a potential buyer):

PROS
All included from factory:
  1. cruise control
  2. ballast
  3. Wake Booster (looks promising)
  4. big tower/bimini - pretty awesome, actually, and also perfect for running the short wake surfing rope - from the tow point - under the bimini as it runs down at a much steeper angle as compared to a longer wakeboarding/skiing rope (those short ropes hit the rear edge of all other model biminis - going on top of them)
CONS:
  1. cruise control (E-throttles are nice, but the cruise control has been iffy)
  2. ballast design is pretty bad, requires performing some re-calibrations and tricks, and additional bags are required to make a good wave
  3. little info on Wake Booster
  4. factory setup will (most likely) produce small-ish wave (as compared to what is possible with Gatlin)

--

JBlue

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
NA
The new Yamaha X Series boat with the Wake Booster package is attractive!
It looks like it may, for the first time, deliver out-of-the-box surf-ability behind a Yamaha.

That said, my money is still on Gatlin aftermarket mods.

Lets face it, there are those who can surf almost any wake, ropeless! Not me. I need all the help I can get - behind a Yamaha. The Gatlin Wake Wedge and their custom bag have proven track record at this point - turning these boats into decent surf machines.

(Just for entertainment value)
here is my completely tangential take on surfing an X (from my perspective as a potential buyer):

PROS
All included from factory:
  1. cruise control
  2. ballast
  3. Wake Booster (looks promising)
  4. big tower/bimini - pretty awesome, actually, and also perfect for running the short wake surfing rope - from the tow point - under the bimini as it runs down at a much steeper angle as compared to a longer wakeboarding/skiing rope (those short ropes hit the rear edge of all other model biminis - going on top of them)
CONS:
  1. cruise control (E-throttles are nice, but the cruise control has been iffy)
  2. ballast design is pretty bad, requires performing some re-calibrations and tricks, and additional bags are required to make a good wave
  3. little info on Wake Booster
  4. factory setup will (most likely) produce small-ish wave (as compared to what is possible with Gatlin)

--
So bringing money back into the equation... it seems like you can make those after market upgrades to an AR for a lot cheaper overall cost. Hypothetically speaking of course

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If you want a boat for around the $45-50k mark and want it to be a surf boat and it has to be a jet the ar will def work from what I've seen. If it doesn't have to be a jet it's hard to find anything new in that price range, but heyday boats is in that price range.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So bringing money back into the equation... it seems like you can make those after market upgrades to an AR for a lot cheaper overall cost. Hypothetically speaking of course
I would still want a dealer to demo me surfing on a X before I dropped that coin on it.

dslack67

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That’s how I’m leaning. AR240+WakeWedge or Wakebooster+Gatlin 750lb custom Swimstep FatSac. On the 2019 AR, an add for me would be a Simrad 9” Go with transducer (Depth/bottomTopo/Fishfinder/GPS Mapping). Based on some favorable OTD pricing locally, should be able to get all that for about $61k-$62k OTD. The Simrad 9” has a real nice display by the way. :)

But, I’ve never owned a Yamaha or any Jet boat, so I really don’t know if additional ballast other than 1 or 2 of the custom 750lb FatSacs on the transom would be required for a decent surf wave.