• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Gut Busters - Weight Loss Challenge

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Steps don't work for me.
I used to think the same way. I sit in front of a bank of monitors 5 days a week for 10-11 hours a day with no weeks off! But just changing some of my habits has helped a lot. Counting steps allowed me to really see just how immobile I was! Many days I'd get 1700 steps in a day. Here is what last March looked like:
1579268749762.png

My wake up call was from my doctor, and I finally listened.

Now I take the stairs to my 5th floor office, park in the parking garage furthest from the office, walk "the long way" to every meeting, bathroom break, lunch etc. AND of course and most importantly, I get on my elliptical at home EVERY NIGHT!!!!! (Usually for an hour).

Started at 208, and this morning back down to 193.5 (after hitting that before xmas and then gaining some over the holidays).

My watch (step counter) has really made this obvious, clear and measurable for me. It is the first thing I do in the morning (put on the watch)!

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used to think the same way. I sit in front of a bank of monitors 5 days a week for 10-11 hours a day with no weeks off! But just changing some of my habits has helped a lot. Counting steps allowed me to really see just how immobile I was! Many days I'd get 1700 steps in a day. Here is what last March looked like:
View attachment 110351

My wake up call was from my doctor, and I finally listened.

Now I take the stairs to my 5th floor office, park in the parking garage furthest from the office, walk "the long way" to every meeting, bathroom break, lunch etc. AND of course and most importantly, I get on my elliptical at home EVERY NIGHT!!!!! (Usually for an hour).

Started at 208, and this morning back down to 193.5 (after hitting that before xmas and then gaining some over the holidays).

My watch (step counter) has really made this obvious, clear and measurable for me. It is the first thing I do in the morning (put on the watch)!
That is great that you have found a way to incorporate more steps into your day. I do track my steps as well. Unfortunately my job is on the first floor in a "bunker" and I am pretty restricted in getting out of the "bunker". I don't go to many meetings. During my work week I am lucky to get 2500 steps in (although I have been working out every morning before work). On my weeks off, I generally get around 10,000 steps in plus working out. I have pitched to my employer to have a treadmill brought into the bunker as they do promote a healthy lifestyle. Time will tell. I have a desk that raises up so I can stand and work, but that is about the extent of my movement on work days.

Huge change from when I was a firefighter. I did 20 years as a fireman and never had to worry about what I ate as the job was very physically demanding and I burned a ton of calories and worked out on my days off. After I retired from there, I took a job doing what I do now. I was/am too young (going to be 45 in March) to collect my retirement. So I figured I'd take another job for about 20 years and retire again.

When that time comes. I will have 2 pensions and other investments. I should be sitting pretty (financially). Now I am trying to take better care of myself to reap the rewards when that time comes.

Good for everyone on this thread trying to get back on track with your health. I think we could all use some encouragement to remain accountable to ourselves. The older we get, the harder it is to remain disciplined.

Celebrate the small victories. Strive to be better than you were yesterday both physically and mentally.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
(sorry, this went long - I the actual point in bold below)

I’m really amazed at the difference some diet changes can make. We all “know” which foods are better than others, but geez... I guess I don’t remember seeing this drastic of a difference.

On the Whole30 program that I linked above, I’ve cut out the obvious bad stuff. No grains (bread, rice, pasta, pizza), no sugar (yeah the normal culprits, but also ketchup bbq sauce marinara... anything that contains sugar), no legumes, and no dairy... as a general rule - nothing with an ingredient that you don’t recognize or isn’t easy to say. Lol. (Oh and no alcohol)

Here’s how the website describes it:

“Eat meat, seafood, and eggs; vegetables and fruit; natural fats; and herbs, spices, and seasonings. Eat foods with a simple or recognizable list of ingredients, or no ingredients at all because they’re whole and unprocessed.”

it has been a ton more work in the kitchen, but my issue with dieting has always been quantity. I’m a big guy and like to eat. With this, I’m not limiting portions. It just so happens that if I need 2 chicken breasts, the calories are still half that of a single pizza slice - where I used to eat 4 slices.

The plan dirswant you to watch the scale or count calories, but I’ve been doing both of those things. Granted, the first week is always“water weight” and falls off me... but going in to the 2nd weekend now and I’m down 17lbs and avg calorie intake has been around 1500 calories.

It is taking a lot of prep time, and self awareness - yesterday I had an all day office meeting and knew breakfast and lunch would be provided. Sure enough, awesome buffet of breakfast burritos, doughnuts and pastries, with one tiny bowl of fruit. I got a bit of fruit and sat down. In my pocket I had an apple, approved meal bar and a baggie almonds. Was a little tough watching everyone else eat Hershey kisses during the meeting while I was munching on my almonds, but I got through it and am glad I held strong.

Everyone else keep up the good work too! My next challenge is to get moving again. I haven’t done a good job of making that happen yet.

edit #2: editing long posts on my phone really sucks. I’m seeing all sorts of typos and a whole 2 sentences that I had in bold originally aren’t even listed. Between the cursor jumping around and stupid autocorrect.... ugh

Last edited:

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Was a little tough watching everyone else eat Hershey kisses during the meeting while I was munching on my almonds, but I got through it and am glad I held strong.
Atta Boy @BigAbe75 ! Hold the line.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How are we doing? Mid way through Week 3 for me. I'm down 20lbs, but I'm also feeling really good. My phone says only 107 more pounds to go to get to my ultimate goal weight. (11th grade Football weight - wife says that she doesn't think that's the right goal for me.) (It was only 28 years ago... come on! Lol!)

For some reason, that 100lbs doesn't feel as daunting this time around as it has in the past. While I'm definitely eating less, and making better choices... I don't feel like I'm enduring hardship to get there this time. It's been a change to get used to eating an Apple and a handful of almonds as an afternoon snack instead of a candy bar or handful (or 3) of M&Ms.

I've got some mid-range goals, too, in case that's too hard to reach.

I managed to ride my stationary bike 4 times the first week, and haven't been on it since. I know that working out is going to be key here real soon. I need to go to bed when the kids do, so I can get up at 5:00. As it is now, I end up staying up until 10:30 -11:00 then I just rollover when that 5am alarm goes off.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Way to go! The changing how you eat makes such a great difference. Like a savings account put $1 a day in it you get 365 at the end of the year. Every day you eat right you are eating less calories and it adds up. Just get on that bike for 5 minute. Do that 3 times when ur walking buy it and you have a quarter hour of bike time in.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How are we doing? Mid way through Week 3 for me. I'm down 20lbs, but I'm also feeling really good. My phone says only 107 more pounds to go to get to my ultimate goal weight. (11th grade Football weight - wife says that she doesn't think that's the right goal for me.) (It was only 28 years ago... come on! Lol!)

For some reason, that 100lbs doesn't feel as daunting this time around as it has in the past. While I'm definitely eating less, and making better choices... I don't feel like I'm enduring hardship to get there this time. It's been a change to get used to eating an Apple and a handful of almonds as an afternoon snack instead of a candy bar or handful (or 3) of M&Ms.

I've got some mid-range goals, too, in case that's too hard to reach.

I managed to ride my stationary bike 4 times the first week, and haven't been on it since. I know that working out is going to be key here real soon. I need to go to bed when the kids do, so I can get up at 5:00. As it is now, I end up staying up until 10:30 -11:00 then I just rollover when that 5am alarm goes off.
That's awesome @BigAbe75 ! I too am down 20 in the last month. Keep up the good work.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Start of a new month!

I'm down 25, so far. 10 more to go to reach my first goal! Feeling really good about that. 😀

We’ve been doing the Whole30, which by design is a 30 day program. The wife says she’s about done and ready to start introducing a few other foods. Tomorrow is Day 30. I told her that’s fine, as long as she keeps stuff in the house that I can eat. I’m afraid this is about to get a little more challenging for me, if she actually goes back to eating a piece of pizza with the kids. It’s been so easy as we’ve been doing meal prep together. The next 2 weeks should be interesting, but I plan to try to stick with what I’ve learned so far as best I can.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made a few changes, with no big impact really.

Biggest change so far is simply "not eating"....Sounds kinda dumb, but the premise is portion and snacking control. My routine USED to be a giant bowl of cereal in the morning, then eating out at some random place at lunchtime. Usually lunchtime was less than heathy, and was often fast food with a soft drink involved. This is the start of week two of, well, NOT doing that. Having a Carnation Instant Breakfast shake in the morning before work, then another shake for lunch, and about (what I consider) 1/2 portion of dinner. I made a trip to the grocery and stocked my desk with oranges and banana's for this week. Hoping those can be "mid-day snacks" that aren't Peanut M&M's or Pop-Tarts, or whatever other super heavy calorie intake I used to have. I've also stopped putting sugar in my coffee in the mornings. (2) 20oz coffee servings, and I probably put 1 tablespoon of sugar in each. I've cold turkey'd that to zero sugar, and am only using 1/4 cup or so (a splash) of 2% milk as creamer. It was tough at first, but I'm getting used to it.

The results are encouraging. Was 229.8 when I started on Monday morning, was down to 220.3 by the end of the week. I'm back to 223 after the Super Bowl and the wing contest we had in the neighborhood (I only had 1 wing from each contestant, but that was still 6 wings). I suspect some of this weight is "low hanging fruit" so to speak, but I'll take it.

Overall goal is to hit 199.9 or better. I was 175 8yrs ago and the wife said I looked to thin at that point. At 6'2" tall I probably was. We'll see how it goes. I'm really hoping I can get back to bicycling this year, with any luck carving out 1-2 days a week to ride at night during the week. When I was 175 I was doing something like 350-400 miles a week on the bicycle and working construction. SO clearly I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce. Once kids arrived that went out the window.

In general "not eating" has made me feel a bit better overall. The belly fat obviously hasn't left yet, but the internal pressure I feel on a daily basis is already reduced. Hoping that trend continues and I just "FEEL" better overall. been very run down this winter season, and just general malaise ridden. I really want that feeling gone, I don't care what the scale says.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did the Keto thing for the last 5 weeks and went from 224 to 202. I have been working out every morning @ 0430hrs for about 45 min each day. I feel great with losing 22 lbs, but have stalled on the weight loss. I have been hovering between 202 and 204 up and down for the last week and I have noticed my workouts have been getting harder. I think I need to move on from the Keto thing and start introducing natural carbs into the diet and stick to the portion control route. The body does need carbs to feed the muscles.

I have been using a total body scale that measures body fat and lean muscle mass and found that I have lost 15 lbs of fat, but have also lost 5-7 lbs of lean muscle mass. I am not trying to get jacked, but I do not want to lose any muscle mass either. The muscle is what burns the calories/fat and if I am now losing muscle mass, then I think I need to change up the diet a bit.

Research is under way to try to find the best option for the next phase. My plan was to do the Keto thing for 2 months as it was working great for the first 4 weeks. I did not want to do the Keto thing long term as,

(1) It is not sustainable long term
(2) It is not healthy for long term use
(a) Low carb/High fat/High Protien does trick the body into burning fat for fuel, but the high fat intake can have negative consequences long term (Elevated Triglycerides and Fatty liver)

Since I am working out daily now, I need to do something different to fuel the muscles. I will post an update on the next phase soon.

Good job to everyone who is making a commitment to get healthy. Keep up the good work.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Moved treadmill inside from the porch (been a coat rack for 4 years) did 15 min 2 days in a row today will be 3. in a week I’ll start jogging it, that will make a difference but so out of shape now just have to get back moving. Walking now so I don’t keel over. Cut out desserts and stuff but still at 225lb have to make more effort.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Started at 208, was 191.5 on Friday, and up to 194 this morning after a weekend of heavily salted food and beverages!!! I'd love to hit 185 (I'm 6'1")....

Really excited about getting so close to the 180s!!!!!

I've been on the elliptical every day for an HOUR, actually an hour and 5 minutes with cool down....usually about 5 miles, with resistance moving up to 7, and cross ramp on 5-12. Also lowering portion size across the board and focusing on fruits and veggies every meal (except yesterday!!! LOL that was a meaty day!)

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I've only lost 2lbs in a week. But I haven't gained, so it's a win in my book.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll join the fun. Feb is a new month so good as time as any. I'm 187 5'9... got down below 170 this time last year and would like to do it again. Keto has worked well for me in the past so I'll start on that again and of course portion control and the eliptical. Bimini is less than 5 months away, gotta be ready!

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have battle my weight my entire life. I have lost and gained the same 25+/- lbs about twenty times. I have been wearing a FitBit since 2013 which does help. Pretty cool/sad to see my weight historical data. I have done all the diets Paleo, Keto, Ideal Protein, Whole 30, etc. It does help if my wife is on board with eating right. We sabotage each other all the time.

I have been hoovering the last few years in mid to low 230's. But in 2019 I had some physical issues that slowed me down. I have this nagging Plantar Fasciitis thing with my left foot. What messed up worse was my lower back. In early October 2019, I fell while doing yard work and jacked up my back. Unbelievable pain until mid-December. I was not getting my 10K steps in during this period. Got on scale in January and I am back up to 252lbs. I have been getting more cardio and trying to eat better and I have gotten down to 245lbs. My goal weight that I have had in my FitBit for years is 223lbs.

I just started trying this Intermittent Fasting approach to get your body burning fat. I am fasting for 16 hours and then try to eat healthy/balanced during the other 8 hours. Honestly fasting for 16 hours feels pretty good. I get into habits of grazing on snacks all day when I am not really hungry. Live to Eat vs Eat to Live.

Last edited:

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Love this thread! Thanks for starting it @BigAbe75. It‘s inspiring to see the commitments, goals and plans that have been shared.

I just completed my first marathon - which along with buying a boat was my way to embrace my midlife crisis. One of the coolest things for me was hearing from a lady who was also running the marathon. She had lost something like 130 lbs over the last year and was out there rockin’ 26.2 miles.

I share as a way to say that what you want is totally possible.

I’m not on the same weight loss journey right now. But, I’m totally cheering you guys on.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll chime in with some things, take it for what you will. I am not an expert by any stretch, but have been researching some different options and tried a few. It’s important to not only walk/run/cardio excessive, but lift weight as well. A daily run will cause your body to burn energy (sugar first, then fat) for about 5 hours afterwards. Lifting weight will cause almost 24 hours of burn, due to the increased repair. Second thing I found is that modern humans ingest on average about 75% too many calories for our activity level. We just eat too much. That said, intermittent 36 hour fasts (about 2 per week) and alternating Lifting/cardio has done the trick for me. Once you hit that plateau with just diet, you have to get extreme to shock your system and jump start things again. The human body is really a very intelligent and efficient machine, once you make a change it usually adapts pretty quickly. That’s why we hit these plateaus with diet about a month or two in.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Still eating good here! Slowing down, though. According to the scale, only down 1 this week. Things are fitting better, and definitely feeling better so I’m not concerned. “They” always say that losing 1-2 a week is the healthiest way to go anyway.

But, I can see that plateau and need for some exercise coming. :)

I’ve got more than enough weight machines and dumbbells in the basement, just need to make the time to use them.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I hit my wall last week. Having a busy weekend I had pizza and a burger on a bun. ( I am on keto so a big no no ) Hit up the treadmill yesterday for a fast 2 mile run...... BAM......I hit a new low weight LOL.

Back on my diet this morning and I am thinking I need to start weight training because like @Dixie Highway said i think the weight training will help me burn more.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length