• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 FSH 252 Sport Thread

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m planning to put a vhf in the upper recess. It looks pretty straightforward. The only potential challenge might be fishing the wires down. But the anchor light wires are up there already, so there’s definitely a path. I was hoping to have it in this year but our season is almost up, so I’ll wait till next year.
Once you remove that plate and also one of the rear speakers in the T-top, you can see how the wires work. The only T-top tubes that mate with the deck with pass-through holes drilled into the deck are the rear ones. The port rear tube is stuffed with 360 light and speaker cables, all wrapped in wire-loom tubing. You can't fit anything else into that tube. The starboard rear tube is empty, but to get to it is a PITA. You have to remove the Starboard trim below the helm, exposing the gas tank, and then detach the bucket servos (I have a Sport E) from the frame. In addition to all that, the holes that are drilled through the deck are tiny -- less than an inch in diameter. I spent about 4 hours pulling a tightly wrapped loom of Ethernet/Radar, NMEA, and power cables through that tube. In the process, I cut my fingers on a bunch of sharp things that I couldn't see. I couldn't wear protective gloves, because so much of the effort had to be done by feel.

Also, I discovered that my T-top was not fully attached to the below-deck fittings. Some of the big bolts for the fittings weren't threaded in!!!! I had to pull the bolts, clean up the stripped threads at the ends of the bolts, then use a wire brush to clean out the threaded holes in the fittings. I applied Tef-Gel to the bolts to get them to actually thread properly into the fittings.

Moreover, the screws holding the servo unit were stripped. I literally picked up the unit by hand and slid it aside, the first time I looked at it.

It blows me away that the factory effed up so badly. And sheesh, they can't even bother to grease the fasteners with anti-seize!!!!

I seriously think my boat would have come apart if I had taken it offshore in any waves before discovering all these problems -- and many more. It was definitely not seaworthy leaving the factory.

Last edited:

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
out of curiosity, what date did your boat get to the dealer.
I ordered it Aug 2020. The dealer received it early Aug 2021. It sat in their lot for almost a month waiting for paperwork and parts, because it was delivered to them missing various parts and accessories.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dang man - that sucks! I've got the 255 FSH Sport E and nary an issue so far... maybe I've been lucky! I only have 18 hours on her but still... I think major gremlins would've appeared by now.

Quick question for ya - so you're wiring the hardtop yourself? Are you putting a VHF in that upper recess area? Curious to hear more about your project(s) up top.
Yup, wired it myself. I'll make a separate post with photos in the next week or so.

The T-top fiberglass above the cavities (vs. where the bottom and top layers are epoxied together) is crazy thin and incredibly weak. I had to build out an internal frame so that I could mount a dome radar on top. When I first mounted the radar without my internal frame, it wobbled like crazy, and I was sure the T-top was going to crack.

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Once you remove that plate and also one of the rear speakers in the T-top, you can see how the wires work. The only T-top tubes that mate with the deck with pass-through holes drilled into the deck are the rear ones. The port rear tube is stuffed with 360 light and speaker cables, all wrapped in wire-loom tubing. You can't fit anything else into that tube. The starboard rear tube is empty, but to get to it is a PITA. You have to remove the Starboard trim below the helm, exposing the gas tank, and then detach the bucket servos (I have a Sport E) from the frame. In addition to all that, the holes that are drilled through the deck are tiny -- less than an inch in diameter. I spent about 4 hours pulling a tightly wrapped loom of Ethernet/Radar, NMEA, and power cables through that tube. In the process, I cut my fingers on a bunch of sharp things that I couldn't see. I couldn't wear protective gloves, because so much of the effort had to be done by feel.

Also, I discovered that my T-top was not fully attached to the below-deck fittings. Some of the big bolts for the fittings weren't threaded in!!!! I had to pull the bolts, clean up the stripped threads at the ends of the bolts, then use a wire brush to clean out the threaded holes in the fittings. I applied Tef-Gel to the bolts to get them to actually thread properly into the fittings.

Moreover, the screws holding the servo unit were stripped. I literally picked up the unit by hand and slid it aside, the first time I looked at it.

It blows me away that the factory effed up so badly. And sheesh, they can't even bother to grease the fasteners with anti-seize!!!!

I seriously think my boat would have come apart if I had taken it offshore in any waves before discovering all these problems -- and many more. It was definitely not seaworthy leaving the factory.
Not good to hear. The t-top bolts bother. I’ll have to check those. My boat was probably built same time as yours, as the dealer received it first week of august.

do you have a picture of your setup. Where did you attach your antenna.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
that sounds like and awesome add… curious to get your opinion on how well it works. Probably my biggest (and really only) complaint is the noise when you’re on throttle. I can live with it but damn it’s loud. Any reduction would be welcomed. Other than that though, I absolutely love this boat.
Fwiw,

I’ve been doing some impeller testing and I can tell you is that a lot of noise comes from the jet pumps. One set of impellers I’ve been testing, Skat Traks literally reduce the perceived noise by half. I measured the noise with a DB meter, and the reduction was 3 DB, which is half the noise level.

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fwiw,

I’ve been doing some impeller testing and I can tell you is that a lot of noise comes from the jet pumps. One set of impellers I’ve been testing, Skat Traks literally reduce the perceived noise by half. I measured the noise with a DB meter, and the reduction was 3 DB, which is half the noise level.
Interesting. I looked up their website. With the rpms that these boats run at, any little mis-alignment or imbalance can potentially cause vibration, which leads to noise. Hopefully this weekend I’ll head out and for the heck of it measure the frequency at speed. I’ll also measure sound levels.

Why will I do that? Because I’m an engineer, damn it.

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I picked my 252 up at the beginning of August. I just received my raw and fresh water wash down quick connects. 👍

Same story here on finding loose/missing fasteners when you start digging around and adding things. During my install of a Rhodan trolling motor I found a complete packet with a service manual and all the other "welcome" goodies in it behind a panel under the front live well. It was for a 195FSH, lol.

None of the stuff I've found will sink the boat, but damn, who's running the asylum?
20210820_104559.jpg20210820_104615.jpg20210820_104737.jpg

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 252 came with a thru-hull Airmar B148-20. It's mounted in the engine bay, just starboard of center.
Thanks for checking this, @PerkDaddy.

If any of you need to do a hard reset of your Simrad Go12, or an Echo Reset to Defaults, I believe the correct setting under Echo Installation is HDI 50/200 455/800kHz.

That's what worked for me.

See page 3 of this chart:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is anyone having issues with drainage in the console/head storage compartment? Mine drains very slowly and pools.

also, what does your capacity sticker say on weight capacity? Mine is 12 passengers, 2200 lb. Yamaha literature says 2700 lbs.
The weight sticker on my 210 states 10 passengers 1835# and 2200# total weight of passengers and cargo. Apparently this has to do with a formula that determines occupancy, and that’s why there is a variation of passengers weight vs. total weight. I had been searching for that info on the 252/255 FSH for a long time, so thanks for the question.

From what I have observed most boat manufacturers have the same variations on their occupancy stickers, and I’ve only seen one company post this information in their literature, so it’s not just a Yamaha thing.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Quick update: the engine vibration was caused by my starboard engine being misaligned with the jet pump,it destroyed the coupling.The boat will sit in the shop for a month waiting for parts. Yamaha also took their sweet time approving the work.
Not a super happy customer. I also found 5 screws in my bilge. Poor building quality.
Any updates on your repairs?

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Finally picking up my 252 tomorrow from Cycle Springs in Clearwater! If anyone hasn’t pulled the trigger yet, Curtis has been amazing to work with and is going to be loading the boat with tons of safety gear as a part of the deal. They had 2 252’s and 1 255 on the lot when I went to check it out this past Saturday. Obviously they are all for delivery but they are definitely getting volume. Let me know how I can help anyone out! First mods will be an onboard charger and a head for the girls!

40C69A6E-0A31-4288-8DBC-EAD500086A19.jpeg24636FD7-7D2D-4617-B991-A61BE98174FD.jpeg

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations! Hope the weather corporates for a sea trial and maiden voyage. At the very least you should have some moderate chop, as it appears the winds will be up for Friday and Saturday.

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Congratulations! Hope the weather corporates for a sea trial and maiden voyage. At the very least you should have some moderate chop, as it appears the winds will be up for Friday and Saturday.
Thanks! It's a fishing boat right? What's a little moisture? Shouldn't be any lightning in the area so hopefully all good!

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi All,

Just new to the forum. I came here as I'm researching these boats. There's a "nearly" brand new (~10 to 20 hours) 2021 FSH 255 not too far from me that I'm looking at next week. I originally came here with concerns about how this boat would handle rough water, but after reading all 32 pages of this thread that's not a worry for me anymore! (BTW, you guys have some great skills, esp Zack). I do have some new questions and concerns, however. Some basic stuff about me first:

Sold our old Grady walk around cabin with old two stroke a couple of months ago so we're looking for a new boat, although we need a new pier and boat lift first. We live on a tributary river off the Chesapeake. The vast majority of our boating has been in the brackish rivers with friends/family, and that water is pretty calm most of the time except for boat wakes. With a newer / more reliable boat I want to venture further out into the bay proper for fishing and other adventures. Having read this thread I feel like this boat can handle the bay under most conditions no problem. So here are some questions I have for the brain trust if anyone's willing to answer:

1. It does seem like many of you have run into QC issues, perhaps from hasty assembly as Yamaha struggled to meet delivery promises. Has most of this stuff been relatively minor to fix (e.g., torqueing a nut or putting one on that was never there)? Don't mind doing minor stuff, but obviously want to avoid major issues.

2. Any concerns looking at a "low hour", e.g., <20 hour, boat? What would you look for?

3. There are dealers in our area advertising 2022's, but I'm guessing they have no inventory and are simply taking deposits/orders at this point, right? The used 2021 boat I'm looking at is, if anything, more expensive than what the dealers are advertising new 2022's for right now. I assume it's the broker trying to make a big buck capitalizing on lack of inventory, but who knows?

4. Any other concerns, regrets, things to do differently etc.?

We bought a new Wave Runner this year and have had a blast with it, but I've never owned a jet boat. This thread (and forum) is great. Thanks for any and all info!

rob

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi All,

Just new to the forum. I came here as I'm researching these boats. There's a "nearly" brand new (~10 to 20 hours) 2021 FSH 255 not too far from me that I'm looking at next week. I originally came here with concerns about how this boat would handle rough water, but after reading all 32 pages of this thread that's not a worry for me anymore! (BTW, you guys have some great skills, esp Zack). I do have some new questions and concerns, however. Some basic stuff about me first:

Sold our old Grady walk around cabin with old two stroke a couple of months ago so we're looking for a new boat, although we need a new pier and boat lift first. We live on a tributary river off the Chesapeake. The vast majority of our boating has been in the brackish rivers with friends/family, and that water is pretty calm most of the time except for boat wakes. With a newer / more reliable boat I want to venture further out into the bay proper for fishing and other adventures. Having read this thread I feel like this boat can handle the bay under most conditions no problem. So here are some questions I have for the brain trust if anyone's willing to answer:

1. It does seem like many of you have run into QC issues, perhaps from hasty assembly as Yamaha struggled to meet delivery promises. Has most of this stuff been relatively minor to fix (e.g., torqueing a nut or putting one on that was never there)? Don't mind doing minor stuff, but obviously want to avoid major issues.

2. Any concerns looking at a "low hour", e.g., <20 hour, boat? What would you look for?

3. There are dealers in our area advertising 2022's, but I'm guessing they have no inventory and are simply taking deposits/orders at this point, right? The used 2021 boat I'm looking at is, if anything, more expensive than what the dealers are advertising new 2022's for right now. I assume it's the broker trying to make a big buck capitalizing on lack of inventory, but who knows?

4. Any other concerns, regrets, things to do differently etc.?

We bought a new Wave Runner this year and have had a blast with it, but I've never owned a jet boat. This thread (and forum) is great. Thanks for any and all info!

rob
#3. The 2022’s are being delivered, so it is possible that one could be available brand new………… for less money than the used one. People were gouging like crazy for just about all boats, but there are members here who sold their 4 year old boats for significantly more than what they paid for them… having said that, this used one you are looking at, does it have aftermarket products on it like a trolling motor, outriggers, upgraded transducer for the standard GO fish finder/ chart plotter?

To me its a no brainer if the used one is totally stock and you can get a new one for less I’d go with the brand new one. The new ones have different exterior / interior color packages so that could make a difference as well.

Since you have read through this thread and others you have seen there has been QC issues with the virus boats, most are minor, there is one or two that had to go back for more warranty issues.

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good info, thanks. The only obvious improvement(s) I see from stock are the boat cover and the trailer -- but do they normally come with a trailer? Seems all the listings have them.

I've reached out to one of the local dealers. If they have inventory, I agree, a brand new one that's cheaper or roughly the same would have to be a no-brainer.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good info, thanks. The only obvious improvement(s) I see from stock are the boat cover and the trailer -- but do they normally come with a trailer? Seems all the listings have them.

I've reached out to one of the local dealers. If they have inventory, I agree, a brand new one that's cheaper or roughly the same would have to be a no-brainer.
Yes the come with a trailer.

Download the Yamaha boat app into your device.. there is a lot of info there, one section states “Trailer”

The cover will shoot the heck out of a grand… perhaps $800.

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Went to take a look this week at the 2021 that's near me. Currently has 19 hours on it, and it has NOT had the 10 hour service yet. It was a very clean, good-looking boat. I also checked with a dealer near me and it sounds like all 2022's are spoken for at this point. I put my name on a list, but realistically I'd probably be looking at 2023 unless I scour around the other dealers. This one is still listed higher than what the 2022's are advertised for.

A couple other questions if anyone is willing/able to entertain:

1. Any concerns on the fact that the 10 hour service hasn't been performed? The owner, who seemed like a genuine guy, says he talked to a dealer who apparently said "no sweat as long as it's done before 25 hours (roughly)."
2. What's involved in the 10 hour service (I'm sure oil change) and is this something I should dealer do? I'm pretty capable around engines. Curious what a dealer service would approximately cost.

Thanks for any help.

rob

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
They change and flush the oil and all the fluids to remove any metal shavings from the manufacturing process.

They also coat the engines with an anti-corrosion chemical.

I believe they also do a check of the electronic systems, and give that information to Yamaha for future use.

You would also give them a punch list of things you have found wrong during those initial 10 hours, so they can address them.

I believe my 10 hour service was around $450 per engine, but I would have to go back and look at my paperwork, and frankly I'm too lazy to do that. 🤣

Last edited:

EastonRob

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks, Zack! Whoa, $450 per engine? It sounds like it's mainly an oil change (unless there's something needin' fixin'). I have no data on whether anything on drivetrain or electronics need tweaking.

I'm hoping to decide whether or not to make an offer on this thing by the end of the weekend.

Hope you're still getting to boat down in your neck of the woods....