• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha boats the dealers are quoting $3,000 freight and prep. Is everyone paying this?

2016 212x who knows maybe the prep and freight were already buried in the price.
IMG_4674.jpg

FYI if this is helpful to anyone.

London, Ontario Canada (just north of Detroit MI).
Dealer PreDelivery Inspection $1299 CDN
Freight $2970 CDN
Admin fee? $299 CDN

Yamaha 252SD ordered in October.

The dealer said here are the things I can't do anything about.
1700 destination
1088 build/PDI
1344 Doc/Lic/Reg
3068 Tax

From what I am seeing here it looks like I am getting gouged on the first 3, can someone confirm that's what it should be in FL on a 47k boat?

The dealer said here are the things I can't do anything about.
1700 destination
1088 build/PDI
1344 Doc/Lic/Reg
3068 Tax

From what I am seeing here it looks like I am getting gouged on the first 3, can someone confirm that's what it should be in FL on a 47k boat?
On my AR250 i paid the following, granted its priced higher and different boat but i paid a bit less from the looks of it.

1650: Dest/Freight
400: Build/Dealer Prep
315: Doc/Lic/Reg
3949: Tax (My rate is 8.5)

I paid 43500 for a 195S, mooring cover, pull behind tube, galvanized trailer, and spare tire. This doesn't include tax. Tax is about 1200.00
@traderfjp ..... I am so envious of your tax structure - we pay 13% on almost everything. Of course that pays for our social welfare programs - but there never seems to be a line-up to shake my hand after I pay the taxes. Just whinin' but the tax structure of some Southern States sure looks inviting - then there's the almost year round boating! Geez....I'm depressing myself! :cool:

13% is pretty high. In NCl sales tax is 4.75% for the state but some municipalities tack on more taxes. Boats in NC are taxed at only 3%. We have state tax of about 5% and then federal taxes can be anywhere from 10% all the way up to 37%. If you earn less than 25K you don't pay taxes. How is the tax rate structured in Canada?

Last edited:
How is the tax rate structured in Canada?
Structured to screw us...not joking. We pay taxes on top of taxes here, amongst the highest taxes in the world. So although we have "free" healthcare and social programs, we pay more per dollar in taxes than these programs cost.

Structured to screw us...not joking. We pay taxes on top of taxes here, amongst the highest taxes in the world. So although we have "free" healthcare and social programs, we pay more per dollar in taxes than these programs cost.
That is nothing short of an understatement. I moved from Canada (Quebec) to the US (FL) 7 years ago and at the time I was paying 52% income tax (combined Federal and Provincial) and paying almost 16% sales tax on everything on top. "Free" healthcare where you have to wait for months before you can see a doctor.

Didn't mean to steer that post but since @traderfjp asked, I figured I'd chime in as well.

I have been looking at the 275's and a dealer near me wants over $4000 for prep/delivery fees. Found a dealer about 2 hrs away that will charge just the MSRP and include a trailer, no markup or BS added fees. needless to say I'll go with them when/if we pull the trigger on a new boat.
I'm in the Denton area....which dealer was this? Thanks!

I think it’s 2% in Virginia for us
Fortunately in Prince William County (VA) the is no annual personal property tax on boats.

How much longer do you'll think we'll see these markups for? I'm guessing it'll be gone by the 2022 boating season.

How much longer do you'll think we'll see these markups for? I'm guessing it'll be gone by the 2022 boating season.
Once covid restrictions end, the markets will have product to sell and the gouging will stop.

It is all going to be based on demand. Even when restrictions are lifted, I am wondering if demand will come down or not, perhaps not for a while.

Bought my boat in July 2020.
Doc fee $400
Freight $700.

No dealer prep. I’m assuming the dealer didn’t charge me that since I had them install a Solix 10, Riptide Ulterra, battery bank, and onboard charger, $7780.

0DFA8977-F48E-4AE2-85FF-E9E0BE6D4E53.jpegm

Last edited:
Once covid restrictions end, the markets will have product to sell and the gouging will stop.
Supply chain still backup up. Going to take many months for international supply chains to get back to normal. Not sure how fast demand is going to change either. Will people immediately go back to vacationing on cruise ships and international travel? I know the leisure industry hopes so, but I’m not convinced.

Just bought 2021 Yamaha 190 fsh sport

In US$
1550 freight
880 alum trailer upgrade
695 dealer prep

Got the extended aft shade for $40 off - Thats all the break I got lol. Since every other dealer is out of inventory and I will have to wait or travel far to get a better deal. I just purchased it.

IMO, you may start seeing SOME boats later this season. To me, it depends on whether the impulse buyers and the buy on credit and hope we can swing the payments with the changes in the economy folks can keep making the payments. Dunno what you're looking for, but I foresee a good number of people starting off the year trying to sell at top dollar to get out from under their now-burdensome loans - since it's still gonna be a seller's market (again, IMO), they'll be hoping they can cover their "rental" costs of last year with the demand this spring, or eat the "rental" cost and sell at a price to pay off their loans.

Later in the year (or perhaps this spring) will come the defaults, unfortunately, and the dealerships will have a glut of "gently used and low hours" used boats to sell off. I'll be looking at what's out there in June/July, but I'm in a position to simply wait for a good deal to fall in my lap.

To the OP, you mentioned you were trading in, why not try to take advantage yourself of this market and skip the trade-in, sell it yourself. I'm betting you'll get more than the dealership is willing to give you, and someone is likely gonna snap yours up for something closer to what you're hoping to get for your boat - just look at the people in this thread and across these forums that are questioning the dealership prices as a demonstration that you might/should do better by not trading in.

Back